GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

haif team mates,

may you all just stop for a moment...    and just imagine the types of "retail" that this beautiful "hotel alessandra" just may inspire?  "greenstreet" shall now become a "gold mine" just like midway corp's "city centre" project.

development, as per this magnitude, is just what "greenstreet" needed to overcome being lethargic vs stoic.  this area of downtown houston...   shall become a "beast".   simply magnificent!

Got this press release this afternoon.  Plus big renderings, which are always nice.

Midway in Partnership with Houston-Based Valencia Group to Debut a New Luxury Hotel Brand at Downtown Houston’s GreenStreet
Contemporary, 25-story hotel tower to include sleek finishes, a lavish outdoor terrace and sweeping views of the downtown skyline

HOUSTON, TEXAS (March 26, 2014) – Houston-based Midway, a fully integrated real estate investment and development firm, in partnership with Valencia Group, an award-winning hospitality management and development company, announced plans today for Hotel Alessandra. The luxury property will anchor downtown Houston’s GreenStreet, a mixed-use destination located just steps from key downtown destinations such as the George R. Brown Convention Center, Toyota Center and Discovery Green park.

Slated to debut in late 2016, Hotel Alessandra will be the newest brand in Valencia Group’s acclaimed portfolio. This venture will be the second time Midway and Valencia Group have teamed up to introduce a hotel concept in the greater Houston area. In 2009, the companies unveiled Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE, a Condé Nast Gold List hotel located in the heart of the CITYCENTRE district on Houston’s west side, which also is in close proximity to the Energy Corridor.

“As Houston continues to see an influx of business and leisure travel, we recognized an opportunity to provide the downtown area with a more sophisticated, best-of-class hospitality option,” said Midway CEO Jonathan Brinsden. “Through our partnership with Valencia Group, Hotel Alessandra will deliver the ultimate experience for guests and set a new standard for luxury in the city,” he adds.

While Hotel Alessandra helps fill the growing need for more hotel accommodations in the area, the hotel also provides an important anchor in the city’s plan for a vibrant, mixed-use retail district in downtown Houston. Additionally, the placement of Hotel Alessandra instills a sense of connectivity for visitors and residents, thanks to its convenient location to popular destinations, sporting complexes, the Texas Medical Center and mass transportation such as the Houston METRO rail.

“Midway would also like to thank Houston First and the Downtown Redevelopment Authority (TIRZ) for its financial support of Hotel Alessandra,” adds Brinsden. “Both partners took the time to seriously consider the proposal, ask the right questions and ultimately act in the interest of what is best needed to serve the downtown community. With their contributions, projects such as this will help give convention and leisure travelers luxurious accommodations while resulting in jobs, new tax revenue, and other economic benefits for the city of Houston.”

Although Hotel Alessandra’s design is still evolving, the contemporary-designed property is expected to feature approximately 225 elegant rooms and suites with oversized bathrooms, as well as premier meeting and event spaces equipped with the latest technological amenities.

Plans also include architectural details that will allow for sweeping views of the city and lavish indoor-outdoor spaces.

“Our team is proud to partner with Midway in creating what will be one of the most impactful new additions to the Houston hospitality scene,” said Valencia Group President and CEO Doyle Graham, Jr. “As with all Valencia Group properties, Hotel Alessandra will serve as a bustling destination and gathering place within the community for dining, entertainment, as well as corporate and social events.”

GreenStreet is a Class-A mixed-use project, spanning four city blocks, connected via sky bridges and above-ground walkways. The development, located at 1201 Fannin, includes the fully occupied, 11-story regional headquarters for NRG Energy, one of the largest power generating companies in the country, along with restaurants, retailers and venues including the House of Blues, Forever XXI,
McCormick & Schmick’s and Lucky Strike. Earlier this year, re-development construction commenced on the 568,294 square foot development, which will include a three block urban linear park, mid-block pedestrian crossings, water features, a central courtyard in the project block between Fannin and San Jacinto, outdoor patios, updated wayfinding signage and lighting – leading to an overall enhanced visitor experience.

post-1-0-96575400-1395876054_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-14160600-1395876057_thumb.jpg

Am I blind?  Does anybody see the pool?

Enclosed in glass on the top level facing Dallas St. Would be cool if those glass panels could open on a nice day.

Where is the parking going to be? It doesn't appear to be enclosed within the hotel tower and while no off-street parking is required downtown, it would be insane not to secure sufficient parking for this hotel. Is the GreenStreet garage sufficient? Even when NRG office workers are using it?

• Like 1

Gertner's bar didn't create any noise- I never heard it even when walking outside the thing, and they never completed the outdoor portion- the stairway inside is incomplete.

I seem to recall a poster on here complaining about the noise.

Edit: found the thread

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/24138-scott-gertners-new-downtown-venue

Edited by LarryDierker

Valencia Group has a very good product and I'm especially gratified to be able to say that about a home team (i.e.,  a Houston company).  

I think the addition of this hotel will really help Midway in their redevelopment of Green Street, in particular because it will draw a lot more people into its core.  

So guests will have to go up to the top floor to check in? Is that normal now with new hotels? I've never seen it before, although I don't get much fancier than a Courtyard Marriott

The only place I have been to that had a similar setup was the Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas. Probably the highest end place I've ever stayed. 

Does anyone know if the anchor space that used to house books a million is still vacant?

Because, just coming back from NYC and being in times square, I think that would be an awesome spot for 2 story H&M flagship store, times square style

I agree. I'm completely shocked they opened up in the suburbs first. I thought they were supposed to have opened on at BLVD Place?

Anyways, If they did open one up It wouldn't be much competition with XXI, as they are essentially the same store.

A few more details, courtesy of Bisnow:

The most unique feature of Hotel Alessandra is the lobby, way up on the 24th floor. Jamie tells us it uses Houston’s skyline as an amenity, and checking in surrounded by the city will be an experience of its own. (Assuming you didn't walk up there using the staircase.) On top of that is the 25th-floor pool, event deck, and destination bar/restaurant. Gensler’s design includes a partially retractable glass roof.

Down on solid ground, the atrium will have 10k SF of sunny meeting space and a fitness facility, and will provide views of the whole tower. And of course, having the lobby on the 24th floor leaves open prime real estate on the street level. Jamie tells us they’re putting 7,000 SF of retail along Dallas. The team will be very selective in what’ll go there—they want a five-star retailer to complement the five-star hotel—and in an effort to support the City’s initiative to add storefronts, it will not be a restaurant or entertainment tenant. It’s a benefit to GreenStreet, too—most of its existing retail on Dallas is spoken for.

• Like 4

A few more details, courtesy of Bisnow:

The most unique feature of Hotel Alessandra is the lobby, way up on the 24th floor. Jamie tells us it uses Houston’s skyline as an amenity, and checking in surrounded by the city will be an experience of its own. (Assuming you didn't walk up there using the staircase.) On top of that is the 25th-floor pool, event deck, and destination bar/restaurant. Gensler’s design includes a partially retractable glass roof.

Down on solid ground, the atrium will have 10k SF of sunny meeting space and a fitness facility, and will provide views of the whole tower. And of course, having the lobby on the 24th floor leaves open prime real estate on the street level. Jamie tells us they’re putting 7,000 SF of retail along Dallas. The team will be very selective in what’ll go there—they want a five-star retailer to complement the five-star hotel—and in an effort to support the City’s initiative to add storefronts, it will not be a restaurant or entertainment tenant. It’s a benefit to GreenStreet, too—most of its existing retail on Dallas is spoken for.

Interesting.  Very interesting.  I would love to see their list of "five-star" retailers.  One of the Galleria luxury-bunch wouldn't seem to be an obvious fit for the location.  My hope is that the Green Street / Alessandra retail on Dallas will be successful enough to encourage redevelopment of the Sakowitz building across the street.

• Like 2

I haven't gotten a good look at the plans for renovation, so can someone enlighten me as to why they are tearing up the road on fannin and San jacinto?

I think they actually plan to raise the street in the center of the blocks to the same level as the walkways in GreenStreet, to create a more continuous walkway...

EDIT:  Here's how it was described in the Chronicle:  To create more "connectivity," landscapers will install midblock crossings on Fannin and San Jacinto using stone pavers, he said. Those streets will be raised to be level with the sidewalk. Cars will still cross those streets, so some safety features will be added, Boss said.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

People coming to Houston for the superbowl that haven't been here in a while are going to first wonder if they are in Houston and then be blown away. It seems like every segment of the inner city is getting an overhaul. Great synergy here right now. I hope it continues.

• Like 1

Interesting.  Very interesting.  I would love to see their list of "five-star" retailers.  One of the Galleria luxury-bunch wouldn't seem to be an obvious fit for the location.  My hope is that the Green Street / Alessandra retail on Dallas will be successful enough to encourage redevelopment of the Sakowitz building across the street.

With a high end hotel accros the street a perfect scenario would be the Sakowitz building be restored into a high end department store. A great example would be Nordstrom’s. They are more rare than others so it would be an automatic draw for people to head into downtown and from my understanding since they are higher end they don’t require quite as many sales as other would to remain in the black. In addition Nordstrom’s flagship store in Seattle was restored from a previous department store much like the Sakowitz building would need to be.

• Like 1

^I'd rather see an enlarged Phoenicia or a Whole Foods (or similar) at that location.  Probably about 30,000 sq ft (maybe a smidge smaller).  Nordstrom would be great, but they will want something larger - and I would cringe if the Sakowitz Bldg was torn down.

But at this point I'll take just about anything that is an upper level retail establishment.