GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I have to ride the elevator to the 24th floor to check in? And then board it again to go to my floor. Ridiculous.

There are a number of urban hotels that have checkin levels requiring an elevator ride. I can think of one in Chicago and South Florida. However, I don't recall any inmy personal experience having a checkin level at the top of the building.

what they did was built up the street with block long ramps, and put in pavers on top of concrete so they're at sidewalk level.

they tore out the street one lane at a time, both Fannin and San Jacinto

This.

I feel like they should put some more bumps before approaching the new brick work because I feel like there's nothing warning motorists that it's a pedestrian crosswalk.

This.

I feel like they should put some more bumps before approaching the new brick work because I feel like there's nothing warning motorists that it's a pedestrian crosswalk.

My pure guess is that they will install either those little cones that say "state law: stop for pedestrians in crosswalk" in the road at street level and/or they will mount some kind of yellow blinking light and sign over the roadway (attached to the overhead walkway maybe??)...

I would be curious to know if they actually remove the current crosswalks at the current lights and "require" all pedestrians to us these crossings instead.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

My pure guess is that they will install either those little cones that say "state law: stop for pedestrians in crosswalk" in the road at street level and/or they will mount some kind of yellow blinking light and sign over the roadway (attached to the overhead walkway maybe??)...

I would be curious to know if they actually remove the current crosswalks at the current lights and "require" all pedestrians to us these crossings instead.

Hm, no thanks. If a person is walking along the exterior block headed somewhere they shouldn't have to go to the middle of the development to cross.

Nice, but is the city actually going to install pedestrian crosswalk signs? If we're going to encourage pedestrians to cross there, let's protect them.

I thought for sure they would use those ding dang fancy in the road type flashing red pedestrian lights used under the Galleria, Light Rail crossings, and the crosswalks in the Theater District.

• Like 1

Who said anything about splurge? Every splurge hotel in this city has the lobby on the first or second floor afaik.

I wouldn't call staying at any of the current hotels in downtown "splurging". Most luxury hotels (read:majority/all/whatever) have this set up. Houston hasn't had any luxury hotel like this yet so it's a pretty new thing and I can understand the confusion. 

I wouldn't call staying at any of the current hotels in downtown "splurging". Most luxury hotels (read:majority/all/whatever) have this set up. Houston hasn't had any luxury hotel like this yet so it's a pretty new thing and I can understand the confusion. 

This same owner operates a 5 star luxury hotel in Houston already, Hotel Sorella. What makes you think that this hotel will be any more luxurious than Hotel Sorella, other than the 24th floor checkin?

Downtown we've got Icon and Four Seasons.

This same owner operates a 5 star luxury hotel in Houston already, Hotel Sorella. What makes you think that this hotel will be any more luxurious than Hotel Sorella, other than the 24th floor checkin?

you mean other than the fact that they have stated as much? neither the four seasons nor icon are what anybody outside of houston would consider a true 5-star hotel.

what's your beef with the sky lobby anyway? you seem to have some weird aversion to this thing. it's probably going to be far and away the nicest hotel in houston - deal with it.

• Like 2

you mean other than the fact that they have stated as much?

Source, please. I don't see anything in their marketing materials that say they intend this hotel to be more luxurious than Sorella, the other luxury hotel they operate.

neither the four seasons nor icon are what anybody outside of houston would consider a true 5-star hotel.

Nor does anything here in their materials indicate that this hotel will be considered a "true 5-star hotel" outside of Houston.

Edited by kylejack

Hotel Sorella is not a 5 star.  

Icon is not a 5 star.

I don't mean this by my perceived quality, they just aren't rated 5 star.  

• Like 1