GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

A few more details, courtesy of Bisnow:

The most unique feature of Hotel Alessandra is the lobby, way up on the 24th floor. Jamie tells us it uses Houston’s skyline as an amenity, and checking in surrounded by the city will be an experience of its own. (Assuming you didn't walk up there using the staircase.) On top of that is the 25th-floor pool, event deck, and destination bar/restaurant. Gensler’s design includes a partially retractable glass roof.

Down on solid ground, the atrium will have 10k SF of sunny meeting space and a fitness facility, and will provide views of the whole tower. And of course, having the lobby on the 24th floor leaves open prime real estate on the street level. Jamie tells us they’re putting 7,000 SF of retail along Dallas. The team will be very selective in what’ll go there—they want a five-star retailer to complement the five-star hotel—and in an effort to support the City’s initiative to add storefronts, it will not be a restaurant or entertainment tenant. It’s a benefit to GreenStreet, too—most of its existing retail on Dallas is spoken for.

Interesting.  Very interesting.  I would love to see their list of "five-star" retailers.  One of the Galleria luxury-bunch wouldn't seem to be an obvious fit for the location.  My hope is that the Green Street / Alessandra retail on Dallas will be successful enough to encourage redevelopment of the Sakowitz building across the street.

• Like 2

I haven't gotten a good look at the plans for renovation, so can someone enlighten me as to why they are tearing up the road on fannin and San jacinto?

I think they actually plan to raise the street in the center of the blocks to the same level as the walkways in GreenStreet, to create a more continuous walkway...

EDIT:  Here's how it was described in the Chronicle:  To create more "connectivity," landscapers will install midblock crossings on Fannin and San Jacinto using stone pavers, he said. Those streets will be raised to be level with the sidewalk. Cars will still cross those streets, so some safety features will be added, Boss said.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

People coming to Houston for the superbowl that haven't been here in a while are going to first wonder if they are in Houston and then be blown away. It seems like every segment of the inner city is getting an overhaul. Great synergy here right now. I hope it continues.

• Like 1

Interesting.  Very interesting.  I would love to see their list of "five-star" retailers.  One of the Galleria luxury-bunch wouldn't seem to be an obvious fit for the location.  My hope is that the Green Street / Alessandra retail on Dallas will be successful enough to encourage redevelopment of the Sakowitz building across the street.

With a high end hotel accros the street a perfect scenario would be the Sakowitz building be restored into a high end department store. A great example would be Nordstrom’s. They are more rare than others so it would be an automatic draw for people to head into downtown and from my understanding since they are higher end they don’t require quite as many sales as other would to remain in the black. In addition Nordstrom’s flagship store in Seattle was restored from a previous department store much like the Sakowitz building would need to be.

• Like 1

^I'd rather see an enlarged Phoenicia or a Whole Foods (or similar) at that location.  Probably about 30,000 sq ft (maybe a smidge smaller).  Nordstrom would be great, but they will want something larger - and I would cringe if the Sakowitz Bldg was torn down.

But at this point I'll take just about anything that is an upper level retail establishment.

With a high end hotel accros the street a perfect scenario would be the Sakowitz building be restored into a high end department store. A great example would be Nordstrom’s. They are more rare than others so it would be an automatic draw for people to head into downtown and from my understanding since they are higher end they don’t require quite as many sales as other would to remain in the black. In addition Nordstrom’s flagship store in Seattle was restored from a previous department store much like the Sakowitz building would need to be.

One thing that occurred to me is that it would be in Midway's interests to purchase the Sakowitz building if possible and make it part of Greenstreet. Otherwise you run the risk that somebody will tear it down to build a residential tower, and then the Alessandra loses its 5 star views.

One thing that occurred to me is that it would be in Midway's interests to purchase the Sakowitz building if possible and make it part of Greenstreet. Otherwise you run the risk that somebody will tear it down to build a residential tower, and then the Alessandra loses its 5 star views.

I thought the same thing.  If both sides of  the street could be developed it could be a real showplace for downtown.  

Didn't know that about the Seattle location.  Somehow I just don't see a department store happening downtown.  I could see something like H&M or Zara however being good fits.  The problem is that retail in general is being squeezed except on the very high end.  The old mainstays of department stores, bookstores etc likely aren't coming back.  

^I'd rather see an enlarged Phoenicia or a Whole Foods (or similar) at that location.  Probably about 30,000 sq ft (maybe a smidge smaller).  Nordstrom would be great, but they will want something larger - and I would cringe if the Sakowitz Bldg was torn down.

But at this point I'll take just about anything that is an upper level retail establishment.

The Sakowitz Building has (had) 225,000 square feet, almost exactly the size of Nordstrom's Galleria store.  FWIW, Nordstrom's new store at The Woodlands Mall is only 138,000 square feet.

IF (and it's a big if) we could get Nordstrom interested in a downtown store, the bigger concern regarding the Sakowitz building is that it would be too big for Nordstrom, not too small.

• Like 1

...and the Sakowitz building desperately needs new ownership.  Would it kill them to hose down the windows once every decade or so?

• Like 1

A couple of observations I don't think I've seen any mention. I like the balcony over Dallas. I wonder if only hotel patrons will have access. 

Also, why is the corner of the street cut out? What's the purpose?

Edited by lockmat

I thought the Sakowitz building was all ready in negoations to convert the grouund floor to retail.. Dont tell me the owners are holding out

That was "announced" back in 2005 and they even announced a coming tenant (American Apparel).  Not sure what happened, but judging by the condition in which the property is kept, it seems the owners don't really care about the building or about downtown Houston.

Oh and the building has changed ownership at least once since that retail announcement.

Edited by Houston19514

The Sakowitz Building has (had) 225,000 square feet, almost exactly the size of Nordstrom's Galleria store. FWIW, Nordstrom's new store at The Woodlands Mall is only 138,000 square feet.

IF (and it's a big if) we could get Nordstrom interested in a downtown store, the bigger concern regarding the Sakowitz building is that it would be too big for Nordstrom, not too small.

Maybe they could keep some of the floors parking and only convert part of it to retail..

Good point about something ruining the hotels views if built at the sak building site. I guess the same could be said for my idea of a residential tower on top of a reengineer end greenstreet garage, unless it was only on the front half of the garage/up against main st, since the hotel is set back behind forever XXI

Virgin poster here...

First, it is a pleasure to join HAIF.  It's nice to find a forum where development enthusiasts can all share breaking news, spread ideas, and let our imaginations run wild.

If a major retailer can find its way into a renovated Sakowitz building and Brinsden follows through with landing a top flight tenant (and I have faith that he will), then you know what would be a great addition to the block?  A movie theater.

I'm talking a massive 24 or 30 screen complex, a la Times Square or downtown Montreal, which has housed a giant theater inside of the arena where the Canadiens used to play.  Make it look sexy, toss in adequate parking (like Edwards Greenway), and bring attention to it with a horizontal beacon of light.  Some of you may view the last part as too flashy, but that's precisely the point.  Downtown is lacking in nighttime visual appeal unless you're driving down I-45.  As far as I know, the only major theater inside the Loop is Edwards.  Locals and downtown tourists alike can drive, walk, or MetroRail it to GreenStreet, where within a couple of blocks they can shop at Nordstroms, XXI, and H&M, dine at a handful of restaurants, bowl at Lucky Strike, watch a concert at House of Blues, party at the Alessandra's rooftop bar, and/or see the latest flick at the sparkling new movie theater.  Thoughts?

• Like 4

i certainly applaud your efforts "gator purify".  additionally, upon behalf of all of our great "haif" members...   WELCOME ABOARD!  nonetheless, when you mention that you are a "virgin member" as per "haif"....  it may also seem that you are somewhat a "virgin member" to downtown houston as well.

i am stating this due to the simple fact that "downtown houston" already boast a very nice movie theater...   "sundance cinemas" over at the "bayou place" entertainment venue.  i have had the utmost pleasure of patronizing this facility, and it was very nice indeed...   especially the great menu items.

therefore, i can certainly agree with you as per your enthusiasm, regarding obtaining first class retailers that "downtown houston" so desperately needs to add compliment to our growing hotel and convention facilities.  i for one, fully believe that this new prospective "hotel alessandra" shall act as the premier "catalyst" to finally seeing our "haif" "downtown houston" dreams come true.  

Virgin poster here...

First, it is a pleasure to join HAIF.  It's nice to find a forum where development enthusiasts can all share breaking news, spread ideas, and let our imaginations run wild.

If a major retailer can find its way into a renovated Sakowitz building and Brinsden follows through with landing a top flight tenant (and I have faith that he will), then you know what would be a great addition to the block?  A movie theater.

I'm talking a massive 24 or 30 screen complex, a la Times Square or downtown Montreal, which has housed a giant theater inside of the arena where the Canadiens used to play.  Make it look sexy, toss in adequate parking (like Edwards Greenway), and bring attention to it with a horizontal beacon of light.  Some of you may view the last part as too flashy, but that's precisely the point.  Downtown is lacking in nighttime visual appeal unless you're driving down I-45.  As far as I know, the only major theater inside the Loop is Edwards.  Locals and downtown tourists alike can drive, walk, or MetroRail it to GreenStreet, where within a couple of blocks they can shop at Nordstroms, XXI, and H&M, dine at a handful of restaurants, bowl at Lucky Strike, watch a concert at House of Blues, party at the Alessandra's rooftop bar, and/or see the latest flick at the sparkling new movie theater.  Thoughts?

Edited by monarch

I agree with adding a new movie theater downtown, maybe not necessarily one with 30 screens, I'm sure 14 or so would work. It needs an IMAX screen and also 3D, neither of which Sundance has, as far as I know. That would allow Sundance to free up screens for more indie movies, which the theater seems designed for, instead of showing the latest Hollywood blockbusters. I'm sure all the new residents that downtown will be adding would appreciate having both types of movie theaters. And maybe one cheap chain restaurant, like an Applebee's, just so there is a mix of options. Also, since this hypothetical movie theater would be vertical, I think a Dave & Busters would be great on the ground floor. I know I went off topic, so, how much does a room at the hotel Alessandra cost?

I had no idea Sakowitz was that large!  200,000+ sq feet?  The building is roughly 150' x 250'  = 37,500 per floor (gross).  From the looks of it, the building is only 5 levels not counting the roof - obviously counting the roof would increase to over 200k - but that's not internal space.  So the gross total is 187,000 roughly?

And I agree about the movie theater... a non-Indy Movie place would probably be a hit.  I think though I'd rather see one in Midtown if I had my choice, or maybe just a 10-12 screen theater in DT?

A big mainstream, multiplex downtown is a great idea to pull people in as well as entertain local visitors and central core residents is a great idea.  Near Greenstreet/Disco Green is the perfect local for this. Would boost light rail ridership in the PM hours too. 

I agree with adding a new movie theater downtown, maybe not necessarily one with 30 screens, I'm sure 14 or so would work. It needs an IMAX screen and also 3D, neither of which Sundance has, as far as I know. That would allow Sundance to free up screens for more indie movies, which the theater seems designed for, instead of showing the latest Hollywood blockbusters. I'm sure all the new residents that downtown will be adding would appreciate having both types of movie theaters. And maybe one cheap chain restaurant, like an Applebee's, just so there is a mix of options. Also, since this hypothetical movie theater would be vertical, I think a Dave & Busters would be great on the ground floor. I know I went off topic, so, how much does a room at the hotel Alessandra cost?

agreed. a 30 screen movie theater in downtown is overkill. a 10 or so screen could be doable though. and with the rest of the room you have left over by not utilizing those other 20 or so screens from the 30 screen idea, you can build that Dave & Busters into the building. this, along with my Putt Putt Golf idea in the GreenStreet reno thread, (putting it on the roof above Lucky Strike so you can take in the view of the skyline while playing/utilize unused rooftop space) is starting to sound like a downtown/urban version of The Marque.. and i kind of like it. :) now all we need is Laser Tag in one of the empty spots in GreenStreet to complete it. heh. right now downtown isnt very family oriented. sure it has Discovery Green, but people outside of downtown are closer to even bigger parks, with more amenities. DiscoGreen isnt enough of a draw for families to come into downtown except when there are big events happening there. if they put this Movie Theater, Dave & Busters, Putt Putt Golf, Laser Tag, along with the existing Bowling at GreenStreet, it could really set a tone for the venue and give it some identity. (not to mention my TopGolf and public sports complex idea on the roof of GRB CC)

i realize right now its not being marketed towards family oriented, with the super high end hotel, HOB, the luxury restaurants, and the offices, but if they were ever able to add the residential component i would like to see built above the GS parking garage, facing main st, those attractions could turn downtown into more than just a "mid 20s-30s/2nd home" community, making it more livable for families. build park space on the rest of the GreenStreet roofs, like they had that small grassy patch drawn into the original conceptual rendering in front of the hotel tower [unfortunately i dont see it anymore in the new renderings :( ], but stretch the grassy park across the covered skybridge between forever XXI and the old BooksAMillion, to continue the park space on top of the whole books a million side of the complex on that block, to add another amenity to make the residential tower i wish would happen next to that more family friendly.

(sorry to drag this on.. we were talking in another thread about how to make downtown more popular/appealing)

I had no idea Sakowitz was that large!  200,000+ sq feet?  The building is roughly 150' x 250'  = 37,500 per floor (gross).  From the looks of it, the building is only 5 levels not counting the roof - obviously counting the roof would increase to over 200k - but that's not internal space.  So the gross total is 187,000 roughly?

And I agree about the movie theater... a non-Indy Movie place would probably be a hit.  I think though I'd rather see one in Midtown if I had my choice, or maybe just a 10-12 screen theater in DT?

while i agree Midtown could use a movie theater.. what would it hurt having to take the light rail a couple stops up to downtown to catch a movie? like Navi mentioned below, it would add to the night time ridership of the line.

A big mainstream, multiplex downtown is a great idea to pull people in as well as entertain local visitors and central core residents is a great idea.  Near Greenstreet/Disco Green is the perfect local for this. Would boost light rail ridership in the PM hours too. 

great point about the night time rail. i dont think the theater needs to be huge though. just big enough/marketed enough with some hopeful new GreenStreet advertising campaigns once the renovation is complete, that it can be a draw for both downtown residents and outsiders.

Is there a lower level?  If so, your rough numbers would put it at 224,500 square feet.

FWIW, my earlier quote of 225,000 square feet came from a New York Times story. 

This Houston Chronicle story says it has (had) 254,000 square feet.

Edited by Houston19514

No clue about the underground?  But 150 x 250 = 37,500  Multiply that times 5 = 187,000   Not 224,500.

IF the roof is counted for the building total sq ft then its only applicable to the use of the space as a parking garage.  Unless a rooftop deck becomes the suddenly fashionable thing for a department store?

Also, I'm not sure there are 5 floors.  I actually counted 4 - and added a 5th as it seemed logical to have an "attic" or some mechanical mezzanine above the 4th.