GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Really? How does it benefit the Chron?

Not really sure.  I imagine it gets more page views, kind of a teaser, I guess.  Also maybe gets their articles to come up more often/higher in Google searches.

The service exists and the Chron, along with Dallas Morning News and many other publications have signed up for it.  It's called First Click Free.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is getting a little stupid... its not hard to attract retailers and spur development if incentives are given much like the housing incentives the city gives to developers. Once something begins to establish itself, the economy will do the rest. Houston is a hot bed for development and I feel like we are taking our sweet time "looking for a consultant" for something that seems pretty much common sense. Just my opinion.

They Should develop southern downtown as a essential retail district with all the target and what not mentioned above then work on Dallas St.

that's what I've been saying.

I like how downtown is compartmentalized. I think the shopping district should be in a fresh area of its own instead of being carved from the convention and skyline districts.

Like I said in the Town Square thread. Design a nice square, throw up a fountain and statues of Texas heroes, then throw in retail incentives, attract some major anchors, extend the residential incentive program.... it would seem easier to me to start fresh than to rework a weak retail area.

I think this is getting a little stupid... its not hard to attract retailers and spur development if incentives are given much like the housing incentives the city gives to developers. Once something begins to establish itself, the economy will do the rest. Houston is a hot bed for development and I feel like we are taking our sweet time "looking for a consultant" for something that seems pretty much common sense. Just my opinion.

I would guess that it is a harder problem than it seems.  They need to think through who are the shoppers, what kind of stores would work, how the physical layout should work, etc.  If the focus is to be on residents, they would probably want things like a Dominos Pizza, McDonalds, Home Depot and a good supermarket.  Downtown office workers and convention visitors would not care for these.  I think it will be a really tough nut to crack to come up with a viable mix.

• Like 1

I would guess that it is a harder problem than it seems. They need to think through who are the shoppers, what kind of stores would work, how the physical layout should work, etc. If the focus is to be on residents, they would probably want things like a Dominos Pizza, McDonalds, Home Depot and a good supermarket. Downtown office workers and convention visitors would not care for these. I think it will be a really tough nut to crack to come up with a viable mix.

I don't think planners will be choosing physical layouts or types of stores other than as a suggestion for renderings. A downtown retail district is always going to need to be flashy and oriented towards visitors... a display of the most amazing things we can offer. The essential stuff for downtown residents can go on side streets.

Home Depot?

I don't think planners will be choosing physical layouts or types of stores other than as a suggestion for renderings. A downtown retail district is always going to need to be flashy and oriented towards visitors... a display of the most amazing things we can offer. The essential stuff for downtown residents can go on side streets.

Home Depot?

Well yes, Home Depot.  Recently for one reason or another I have been going there all of the time, and it is convenient having one close. 

What you are saying contradicts the earlier poster's assertion that one residential was in place that retail would grow.  I've never been quite sold on the idea of downtown retail oriented towards visitors.  On the other hand, I can definitely see the need for retail to support the growing downtown population.  That means a different kind of retail, such as Home Depot, that isn't available on side streets at all.  Also, retail supporting residential is going to be more sustainable in the long run.  I'm not even sure what kind of retail would be appropriate for visitors, other than shops selling Texas souvenirs.  How many chic boutiques can downtown reasonably support when there are already scads of them in the Galleria area?

Downtown already has Dominos (and several other better pizza options), plus chicken and burgers galore.  There is a CVS in the 800 block of Main... granted, it closes early.  For big grocers, Randall's a block south of the Pierce Elevated and a couple blocks from the rail station would be an option were it not for its Safeway - driven death spiral; go north and there is a big Fiesta at Fulton and Quitman a couple blocks from the North Line, just a couple stops past UH Downtown (which, with the closure of the Studewood Fiesta, is getting more Anglo-fied since Woodland Heights types are now going there).  The walkable infrastructure for much of the day to day stuff is there, all that is needed is residents to get them to keep later hours.

What IS lacking are places to buy clothing and blenders and such.  And a dry cleaners - there's gotta be one closer than Midtown, I just don't know where.

Not at all. His discussion is centered around a government planned district. Low level retail should develop organically without government involvement as a response to market demand. As I've stated in other threads, I believe that low level retail will develop in downtown Houston once there is a sufficient population to support it. In my opinion, CoH is doing the right thing in that area - incentivize residential and let the market provide the retail once sufficient demand exists.

Downtown Management District and the City subsidize businesses that wish to open in Downtown. Georgia's, The Burger Guys, Phoenicia, etc...they all got incentives.

Edited by kylejack

. I think the shopping district should be in a fresh area of its own instead of being carved from the convention and skyline districts.

Then it would feel like downtown/Uptown Dallas.... Contrived and sterile. I think new development is great but i don't want to lose that organic/integrated feel of downtown. Downtown already feels spotty, theater district on one side, then separated by a stretch of tired office buildings, then you finally reach discovery green. My point is, downtown lacks continuity which causes it to lack vibrancy.

It's good to see this initiative which will tie other downtown destinations together.

• Like 1

Then it would feel like downtown/Uptown Dallas.... Contrived and sterile. I think new development is great but i don't want to lose that organic/integrated feel of downtown. Downtown already feels spotty, theater district on one side, then separated by a stretch of tired office buildings, then you finally reach discovery green. My point is, downtown lacks continuity which causes it to lack vibrancy.

It's good to see this initiative which will tie other downtown destinations together.

Just because it is new doesn't mean it will be contrived and sterile. Dallas is notorious for overplanning, overdoing and ending up over the top. That area is already flat so anything that goes up in that area will be totally new anyway. I just think it would be nice to steer the development to include more retail.

Are you familiar with the area I am taking about? It doesn't give that integrated feel you speak of. creating a district there would integrate it into downtown.

Just my opinion, but I think a shopping district would be better on the SE side of downtown. The area around dallas street is too cramped, too established, abd no real incentive to convert those buildings to retail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone pointed this out but I thought it was pretty interesting. This stat in the photo shows the population around major Houston malls and it includes downtown as well. It clearly shows downtown has the nearby population to support retail. Of course, as the paragraph states, what's missing is a convenient way for people to get to retail downtown, which in reality is parking. I hope they get this right, it could really be a draw for downtown for Houston RESIDENTS.

post-723-0-40695100-1390011376_thumb.jpg

Well yes, Home Depot. Recently for one reason or another I have been going there all of the time, and it is convenient having one close.

What you are saying contradicts the earlier poster's assertion that one residential was in place that retail would grow. I've never been quite sold on the idea of downtown retail oriented towards visitors. On the other hand, I can definitely see the need for retail to support the growing downtown population. That means a different kind of retail, such as Home Depot, that isn't available on side streets at all. Also, retail supporting residential is going to be more sustainable in the long run. I'm not even sure what kind of retail would be appropriate for visitors, other than shops selling Texas souvenirs. How many chic boutiques can downtown reasonably support when there are already scads of them in the Galleria area?

There is an overlap between retail that residents would want and that visitors would want. It doesn't all have to be chic boutiques and Texas souvenirs. That said, and understanding that some things need to be practical to support residents, I don't think Home Depot would work. Unless they have some urban format that I'm not aware of, the price per sf of land downtown is way too high for them, a 250 x 250 block size is too small, and imagine people buying lumber downtown. Maybe a small Ace hardware would suffice, and if people need more they can drive out.

• Like 1

There is an overlap between retail that residents would want and that visitors would want. It doesn't all have to be chic boutiques and Texas souvenirs. That said, and understanding that some things need to be practical to support residents, I don't think Home Depot would work. Unless they have some urban format that I'm not aware of, the price per sf of land downtown is way too high for them, a 250 x 250 block size is too small, and imagine people buying lumber downtown. Maybe a small Ace hardware would suffice, and if people need more they can drive out.

Here's one I saw a couple of week ago while I was up in the Northeast.

http://goo.gl/maps/5devI

• 3 weeks later...

I'm originally from Sydney and have spent staggering time in Mebourne and that alley with shops reminds me of some of the outer lane ways in Melbourne. All that is missing are some tables in the alley for outdoor eating, some benches, and resi and hotel.

Some public art and mood lighting would be a nice touch.

Ah look at me blabber away

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 1

Really? How does it benefit the Chron?

Publications with paywalls enable the full article to be accessed from search engines. This way the search engine can index the full story. They get click-through traffic from people that search words in the story. If nobody ever finds their articles on Google they risk losing relevance.

Edited by kylejack