GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

i hope this doesn't come off as a flame post, but i'm not really seeing what's so drastically different about this vs the old Houston Pavilions. But on the other hand, I don't even think i saw it when the renderings came out after this re-do was announced.

Hope my observations turn out to be wrong.

• Like 2

Hotel Alessandra has secured financing and is currently in the design phase. Construction begins later this year (Look in the Shopping district area):

EuuhkPN.png

Direct link to full sized image: http://i.imgur.com/EuuhkPN.png

Credit goes to Urbannizer for posting the pdf!

Edit: Haha...Didn't see your post.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 2

There is an overlap between retail that residents would want and that visitors would want. It doesn't all have to be chic boutiques and Texas souvenirs. That said, and understanding that some things need to be practical to support residents, I don't think Home Depot would work. Unless they have some urban format that I'm not aware of, the price per sf of land downtown is way too high for them, a 250 x 250 block size is too small, and imagine people buying lumber downtown. Maybe a small Ace hardware would suffice, and if people need more they can drive out.

Both Lowe's and Home Depot have experimented with urban formats, but they've generally tried to locate in areas that are more similar to Midtown than Downtown.  Any area that has a high percentage of renters is tough for those chains because renters are so much less likely to do "home improvement" than owners are.

Both Lowe's and Home Depot have experimented with urban formats, but they've generally tried to locate in areas that are more similar to Midtown than Downtown.  Any area that has a high percentage of renters is tough for those chains because renters are so much less likely to do "home improvement" than owners are.

Which is kind of weird.  When I rented at a Randall Davis property in Houston the landlord encouraged me to modify the apartment.  Which I did.  Lots of paint, an enormous chandelier, and other thing.  The previous tenant built a glass block wall for the bedroom, which was very cool.  I don't know if it was this particular landlord's philosophy or an RD philosophy, but she explained to me that if you let people act like they're at home, they'll renew their leases longer.

Since then, I have only met one landlord who was similarly open-minded.  And all of those places where I wasn't allowed to change things, I moved out of fairly quickly. 

Maybe referencing Home Depot was a mistake, since Home Depots are to a large extent geared to big remodeling projects.  How about a regular ol' hardware store that has those odds and ends that even renters need:  the occasional screws and nails, small tools, key duplication, light bulbs, windshield wiper blades, step ladders, etc?  Before the big box era these kind of local hardware stores were everywhere.  

Maybe referencing Home Depot was a mistake, since Home Depots are to a large extent geared to big remodeling projects. How about a regular ol' hardware store that has those odds and ends that even renters need: the occasional screws and nails, small tools, key duplication, light bulbs, windshield wiper blades, step ladders, etc? Before the big box era these kind of local hardware stores were everywhere.

Ace hardware

Which is kind of weird. When I rented at a Randall Davis property in Houston the landlord encouraged me to modify the apartment. Which I did. Lots of paint, an enormous chandelier, and other thing. The previous tenant built a glass block wall for the bedroom, which was very cool. I don't know if it was this particular landlord's philosophy or an RD philosophy, but she explained to me that if you let people act like they're at home, they'll renew their leases longer.

Since then, I have only met one landlord who was similarly open-minded. And all of those places where I wasn't allowed to change things, I moved out of fairly quickly.

That's interesting because I never experienced that during my time renting, but I do think that it's safe to say that the average homeowner spends more on home improvement than the average renter does.

Most big box retailers are trying to figure out how to develop an appropriate model for urban environments though.

It would be awesome if they have a Jumbotron....Or some huge Advertisements....(never understood why DT Houston doesnt have a million advertisements on the buildings and such seeing how there all over the freeway) Maybe a nice mural (it has to be Huge)...more bars...a rooftop lounge....

Edited by Elseed
  • Like 2

So has any stores/boutiques/restaurants/nail salons/bars/cafes opened up in the retail district? Or plan on opening up in the retail district? Has anyone heard any rumblings? Also a strip club in and around Market Square Park would be interesting kind've like scores in NYC a pool hall would be nice too....also an awesome sports bar

Edited by Elseed

It would be awesome if they have a Jumbotron....Or some huge Advertisements....(never understood why DT Houston doesnt have a million advertisements on the buildings and such seeing how there all over the freeway) Maybe a nice mural (it has to be Huge)...more bars...a rooftop lounge....

That sort of thing isn't allowed by DT management district

That sort of thing isn't allowed by DT management district

Actually the DT retail task force.. recommended they revise this policy. I dont see this being lifted for DT as a whole but the proposed Retail district may be given a expemtion

Edited by Moore713
  • Like 1

So has any stores/boutiques/restaurants/nail salons/bars/cafes opened up in the retail district? Or plan on opening up in the retail district? Has anyone heard any rumblings? Also a strip club in and around Market Square Park would be interesting kind've like scores in NYC a pool hall would be nice too....also an awesome sports bar

The Pink Pussycat is long, long gone.

From http://houstoricproject.com/:

post-12764-0-61065900-1394570086_thumb.j

hell no to a strip club and I am from from what you would call prudish... A strip club would  ruin the area.. Houston has more than enough parts of town decicated to that