GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

So, they went from smashing what was there before to 3 floors built in less than 9 months.  There's not a good analogous project in downtown that I can think of offhand, but that seems relatively fast.

Skyhouse was built in like 4 hours.

• Like 3

Probably a stupid question, but is the city just adding some trees and lights to enhance the pedestrian experience along Dallas Street? If so, why is this taking so long?

I attended a downtown business/resident meeting on this before construction ever started. There was a LOT of "stuff" that they wanted to do with utilities. I don't recall what but I remember thinking "wow, that is a lot of work....."

Page 7&8. http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2015-03-06/150304_SDSI_Streetscape_Plan.pdf

I also seem to recall that construction was supposed to end in early spring 2016 (Feb/March) but I could be wrong.....

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 3

I'd imagine that the original schedule has been blown.  We've been a lot wetter than usual, and I wouldn't be surprised if they found various unexpected weird stuff that wasn't mapped - though one would hope that would be built into the schedule after the way such things busted earlier major street time lines.

What accident idea? I don't know what you're talkin' about....

article-2182335-0CD82838000005DC-10_306x

God forbid something should happen. That's all I'm saying...

I'm probably alone on all this, but I enjoy some of the grittier aspects of downtown in certain pockets. Time Square used to be an interesting place to visit until they turned into Disney World. Ultimately I agree they will get priced out of the market, but I don't relish the idea of forcing these business out just so white people can feel safer. 

• Like 1

I'm probably alone on all this, but I enjoy some of the grittier aspects of downtown in certain pockets. Time Square used to be an interesting place to visit until they turned into Disney World. Ultimately I agree they will get priced out of the market, but I don't relish the idea of forcing these business out just so white people can feel safer. 

I couldn't agree more. The 99 cent store off Main is a cool little store to find quick things. I mean you're in the city, and people want suburbia. I don't get that. I went to a concert recently at Toyota Center and it wasn't difficult to see the difference in those who live or grew up in the city and those who didn't. Some of those people looked terrified. 

I couldn't agree more. The 99 cent store off Main is a cool little store to find quick things. I mean you're in the city, and people want suburbia. I don't get that. I went to a concert recently at Toyota Center and it wasn't difficult to see the difference in those who live or grew up in the city and those who didn't. Some of those people looked terrified. 

I grew up in the area and live downtown currently.  I wish the place was gone.

• Like 1

Don't know if it is the stores or the transit intersections, but I've never seen anyone OD'ing in the middle of the day as well as multiple public "domestic" violence episodes at any other corner in town. 

People shop in a number of places in town and don't have people reeking of their own feces shouting obscenities at them.  For a place that you want to be a retail district, grittiness is probably best left to memories.

• Like 2

I'm probably alone on all this, but I enjoy some of the grittier aspects of downtown in certain pockets. Time Square used to be an interesting place to visit until they turned into Disney World. Ultimately I agree they will get priced out of the market, but I don't relish the idea of forcing these business out just so *wealthy people can feel safer.

Fixed it for you.

I lived Downtown for 7 years until a couple years ago, and it was a great comfort. It was good to grab a quick canned good or posterboard or whatever. The store continues to exist because there is an economic demand for it. Sorry, but Downtown just isn't ready for a Books-A-Million yet. Certain types of businesses can work and certain can't.

• Like 1