GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

27 minutes ago, astros148 said:

11rvk77.jpg

Looks pretty good, now I just wish they focus on trying to land some retail tenants.

My fear, and I hope it proves to be unfounded, is that finding anchor tenants is proving harder than envisioned.  

This Dallas street redo is the last chance at having downtown develop commercially as envisioned by this latest generation of urban planners and developers (comes right out of the Mayor's task force report from 3-4 years ago).  If it doesn't happen, after the significant commitment of tax dollars and political capital on infrastructure improvements, then downtown "anchor retail" will be dead for a while (until a new group creates, markets, politics, and percolates a new plan by citing the deficiencies of the old).

3 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

My fear, and I hope it proves to be unfounded, is that finding anchor tenants is proving harder than envisioned.  

This Dallas street redo is the last chance at having downtown develop commercially as envisioned by this latest generation of urban planners and developers (comes right out of the Mayor's task force report from 3-4 years ago).  If it doesn't happen, after the significant commitment of tax dollars and political capital on infrastructure improvements, then downtown "anchor retail" will be dead for a while (until a new group creates, markets, politics, and percolates a new plan by citing the deficiencies of the old).

For this to work, I think there needs to be one or two anchor retail developments on the east side at Dallas and Austin. This would nicely tie in the retail district to discovery green, taking away one of the many parking lot deserts that break up the flow of downtown. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBMerPToqFqdtFX7hKoDx

^^^ if i have stated it once, i have stated it a thousand times... HOTEL ALESSANDRA, shall become on of the main catalyst that creates the spark

to downtown dallas street rejuvenation.  once this particular hotel is completed, there shall become a vibe at GREENSTREET like non-other.  however, 

MIDWAY COS, shall have to renovate the rest of the awful exterior of GREENSTREET to make it more appealing to match the new hotel.

as of right now, the facade of FOREVER 21 looks terrible and very uninviting / forbidding.

patience shall indeed become virtue.... 

• Like 1

^^^ would love to see that exterior cladding tumbleweed_tx... if you can make it work.  they are going to have to rush construction if they fully intend for this structure to be open and accommodating in time for the forthcoming SUPERBOWL....

4 hours ago, monarch said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBMerPToqFqdtFX7hKoDx

^^^ if i have stated it once, i have stated it a thousand times... HOTEL ALESSANDRA, shall become on of the main catalyst that creates the spark

to downtown dallas street rejuvenation.  once this particular hotel is completed, there shall become a vibe at GREENSTREET like non-other.  however, 

MIDWAY COS, shall have to renovate the rest of the awful exterior of GREENSTREET to make it more appealing to match the new hotel.

as of right now, the facade of FOREVER 21 looks terrible and very uninviting / forbidding.

patience shall indeed become virtue.... 

I agree that it has the potential to "tie the whole room together".

Right now though, you have a literal mud pit separating HoB and the Green Street restaurants from the Forever 21 corner, which puts a pretty imposing break in the street, temporary sidewalk notwithstanding.  Finish Alessandra and convert Sakowitz back to something that has some traffic and I think the whole effort looks worth it and might sustain itself pretty well with Le Meridien and Aloft coming online about the same time a few blocks north.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

Almost distract the eyes from the blank walls of the parking garages...

In all sincerity they do look good. If only we could have this done to every street.

I agree the biggest problem with making this street a "retail corridor" is the lack of anything at street level in so many of those parking garages.  Maybe food trucks could park there on the sidewalk?

as the apartments continue to be completed and get filled the retail will come. whether it comes to this contrived location, or goes to another place in downtown (perhaps even eado, or midtown), retail will come. how many humans are going to be living in the area when all is said and done?

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

I agree the biggest problem with making this street a "retail corridor" is the lack of anything at street level in so many of those parking garages.  Maybe food trucks could park there on the sidewalk?

Yea the back of the Four Seasons and those parking garages on the north side of Dallas Street are blank walls and aren't helping this retail district at all. I'm loving the wider sidewalks and street lights though. It'll pick up momentum now that the construction is nearing completion and when Alessandra opens. 

Some more pictures of Dallas street, this time during the day

http://swamplot.com/dallas-st-redo-winds-down-before-final-four-clocks-start-running/2016-03-31/

The new trees seem to line up with the spacing plans shown in the previously released project plans, which included knocking out a driving lane on the north side and turning it into parking (as the vehicles above are politely demonstrating).

dallas-street-complete-2.jpg

dallas-st-complete-1.jpg

• Like 8

when I spoke to the manager at forever 21 a couple weeks ago he heard they were trying to land free people the popular hippie chain. Not sure whatever happened but thats the type of store downtown needs. If we were to get free people/urban outfitters/sephora/h&m we would be solid

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elseed said:

So still no word on any potential tenants in the retail corridor?  

More importantly, where would the retail go? Besides Forever 21, the rest of the Green Street development on the Dallas side is a hotel currently under construction, 3 restaurants and the House of Blues. The Sakowitz building is still a parking garage,and the other remaining structures along this route are parking garages. I'm hoping the corner of the corner of 1111 Travis will have a retail component. But other than that they would have to build something new. 

• Like 3