GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I don't think we will see a whole packaged roll-out of the overall plan until after the 2016 Super Bowl. The NFL will want to keep focus and attention on this season and I think the city will respect that. However, we certainly can see all the infrastructure, beautification and accommodation projects underway for the big show.

There was an article the other day about how the NFL wants San Francisco to remove the overhead bus wires in their "Central Square" (might be wrongful name) that would ultimately cost about $12 million dollars to take down and put back up.

Here's hoping they "politely ask" to temporarily take down the Pierce Elevated

They seem to get whatever they want, we need a guy on the inside.

Wow 40 miles is ridiculous, Houston defiantly has the advantage on this one. Hopefully this super bowl (the one in Houston) will be a great success and we can get it to come back every few years like NOLA. 

It's even worse than it sounds.  Do a Google search for transportation from Levi's Stadium to San Francisco.  At 9:00 AM Pacific Time today, it's 1 hour, 7  minutes to travel the 43 miles by car. . .  1 hour, 41 minutes by transit.

When you mentioned a cow path I thought of Oxford U which is named after a town where cows used to cross a stream. I'm sure Dallas street becomes a stream every so often after one of our rains.

I wish several pubs would open downtown. Be nice. Bit of Britain. Civilized, old chap.

To my knowledge, there have been a number of British pubs downtown. Not terribly popular. Only thing that has stood the test of time, and it's not so much a pub as a dart bar themed with mostly English beers, the brewery tap.

I was being purposefully obtuse having fun with the rumor mongering meme.  The English Pub theme is fairly common. On business travels, I seem to find them and their fish and chips to be comforting.

The 500 block of Main is a veritable Irish Pub district with Molly's across the street from the other one that is "Shasta McNasty's" or somesuch.

• Like 2

Skyhouse, is an anomaly. It's a residential model that they've constructed multiple times and it's construction has

become rote. They just move permanent crews from one project to the next, and everything works like a clock.

They might even reuse a lot of their forms and materials. They schedule their projects to overlap which allows for a fluid

construction process.

AS for comparing the construction of the Empire State building to reinforced concrete structures being built today,

is like comparing grapes to watermelons.

The Empire state building is built on a fairly shallow bedrock, and reinforced concrete construction is a much

slower method than steel erection. To hazard a guess the reason they use reinforced concrete over steel

in most projects here is cost of materials?

It was exciting watching Allied Bank and Four Allen center constructed in the eighties. Nothing like watching

those raw steel structures rise, especially with their curved and octagonal shapes.

• Like 5

heard they had a deal with sephora but they backed out.....i really hope this doesnt become a flop. if greenstreet fails after all this renvo and boost then we can almost kiss retail in downtown bye.

greenstreet sucess is so vital

I don't agree with this at all.  The organic growth that is occurring around Market Square could be a hotbed for retail in future years.  I love all the initiatives the city is taking with what they're trying to do with Dallas St., but I personally have always been a proponent of the invisible hand of the market.  I would rather walk out my front door and have everything within a few blocks walking distance rather than walk several blocks to the center of CBD.  I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't think Greenstreet and Dallas St. will work as quickly as most HAIFers want it to.  I think it will continue to lease to entertainment venues and restaurants because that is the demand for the surrounding population of the project.

• Like 1

With the city spending so much to renovate Dallas and the huge task force that did numerous case studies and said how important Greenstrert is numerous times.

If greenstreet flops it's bad for downtown houston plain and simple. Market square isnt going be a hotbed for retail, maybe theyll land a grocery store but that's the most that'll happen

• Like 1

With the city spending so much to renovate Dallas and the huge task force that did numerous case studies and said how important Greenstrert is numerous times.

If greenstreet flops it's bad for downtown houston plain and simple. Market square isnt going be a hotbed for retail, maybe theyll land a grocery store but that's the most that'll happen

I agree Greenstreet is important, but I'm not sure why you're so certain the area of North Downtown couldn't support a lot of retail.  

Have you not walked downtown lately? There's activity all over Main Street and Market Square. Green street won't make or break the success of downtown.

You're also forgetting Lovett's plans for the Post Office site, though that's been a little quiet lately.

Yes i live in downtown, and lets not get carried away with ourselves with theres activity all over Main street. it is the holiday season, but theres no "activity" on main street after 8pm. Its a bunch of pan handlers hanging by the store, i ve heard ALOT of visitors who stayed at the JW marriot that they were uncomfortable with the amount of them right across the street.

Anyways thats beyond the point, this is the final straw for greenstreet with the city pumping so much money into it and with the new hotel, this HAS TO WORK for downtown.