GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Wow, if records were kept on how short a time big buildings are built then torn down and replaced in Houston. Was this less than 10 years? A nice new idea would be: build something right the first time, build it to last, build it once, never build it again...well for a long time.

Good grief. They are taking down a small 2 story building about which almost no one has ever said a kind word.

• Like 3

Trying to bring this back near the topic - what stores would you want to see along this retail corridor?

How about a nice breastaurant. Hooters, Twin Peaks or Chulas. I think it would be a good idea to put it on the east portion of Dallas towards Austin and Caroline. It's only a few blocks away from Toyota Center. You could pregame, post game, or watch the game from that bar. These places, you could get night time usage out of them

Can I get a frozen yogurt place in downtown. Everyone loves FroYo. Let's get a Menchies. They just opened up one in Gulfgate and I think there is one near West Gray somewhere.

I know there is a Chipotle on McGowen, and there is one on Main, but I think a Chipotle would work here. If not Chipotle, than another burrito joint should work. There is also Bullritos inside the Houston Center. 

How about a footlocker/footaction? I swear there used to be one in downtown back in the early 90s. 

Bring back Macys, throw in some Gap stores, Hollisters, and Express's of the world. Throw in an old lady store like Charming Charlie. (that is an old lady store, right?)

Also, how about a gym? I know they have a 24 down the street in midtown, but you could always bring in a Lifetime fitness, or LA fitness. 

A movie theater. It doesn't need to be a 30 screener or as large as 24. But something less than 20 or 16 would be great. Yeah, I know there is the one at Bayou Music Place. But they show more of the artsy stuff. Mindless drivel is fun.

I know we want street level, but let's make it two stories, and you can have walkways going over the street. 

Edited by Kam
  • Like 1

How about a nice breastaurant. Hooters, Twin Peaks or Chulas. I think it would be a good idea to put it on the east portion of Dallas towards Austin and Caroline. It's only a few blocks away from Toyota Center. You could pregame, post game, or watch the game from that bar. These places, you could get night time usage out of them

Can I get a frozen yogurt place in downtown. Everyone loves FroYo. Let's get a Menchies. They just opened up one in Gulfgate and I think there is one near West Gray somewhere.

I know there is a Chipotle on McGowen, and there is one on Main, but I think a Chipotle would work here. If not Chipotle, than another burrito joint should work. There is also Bullritos inside the Houston Center.

How about a footlocker/footaction? I swear there used to be one in downtown back in the early 90s.

Bring back Macys, throw in some Gap stores, Hollisters, and Express's of the world. Throw in an old lady store like Charming Charlie. (that is an old lady store, right?)

Also, how about a gym? I know they have a 24 down the street in midtown, but you could always bring in a Lifetime fitness, or LA fitness.

A movie theater. It doesn't need to be a 30 screener or as large as 24. But something less than 20 or 16 would be great. Yeah, I know there is the one at Bayou Music Place. But they show more of the artsy stuff. Mindless drivel is fun.

I know we want street level, but let's make it two stories, and you can have walkways going over the street.

As for a gym, Fit Athletic is in the Park Shops (4th floor), 2 blocks from Dallas. There is a very good YMCA. There is also two Houston Clubs (one with Tennis). On of them is next to GreenStreet and another is on the west side of downtown. If you are into crossfit, there is one of those over near minutemaid. And, if you like boxing, there is a dedicated boxing gym 3 blocks from Dallas. There is also a Houstonian Lite (Wells Fargo building) and the "health club on Travis."

As it relates to "fitness" downtown is actually quite dense with options (at a number of different price points).

cant help you on the Frozen yogurt front. But, have you tried the gelato at MKT Bar? Really tasty if you like gelato!

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

It's 2015, how about no? I'd rather this city not become a cultural icon for the objectification of woman....but on the other hand we are the nation's largest city in terms of sex trafficking.

Not to mention those are the most white-trash, suburban-esque excuses for entertainment we have in this city. 

• Like 6

It's 2015, how about no? I'd rather this city not become a cultural icon for the objectification of woman....but on the other hand we are the nation's largest city in terms of sex trafficking.

Not to mention those are the most white-trash, suburban-esque excuses for entertainment we have in this city. 

I think we’re thinking too hard with trying to figure out what would work. Just start with stuff that has a line to get in everywhere else; suburban vibe or not. Pappadeaux, Lupe Tortilla, etc.  I guess Hooters et.al. have a place in the market, but we are getting a Christian’s Tailgate in DT proper, which is better in every way, except the T&A factor. More folks are coming, the stuff they want will follow. It will be interesting to watch.

• Like 2

Is Midway's website outdated, or did they go back? It says it is 25 floor and will have a sky-lobby:

An express elevator will transfer guests to a 25th-floor lobby with skyline views during check-in and a sleek glass exterior that extends over a rooftop pool and bar. - See more at: http://midwaycompanies.com/projects/detail/hotel-alessandra#sthash.df8dniCK.dpuf

Also, I'm not sure if we knew some of the following:

Trying make Books a Million site into restaurant and they're trying to convert some of the empty space to restaurant or office. It seems like some of this space was previously earmarked for retail, correct me if I'm wrong.

http://midwaycompanies.com/img/leasing/site-plans/GS-141001-Merch_Plan_-_NEW.pdf

Edited by lockmat

Is Midway's website outdated, or did they go back? It says it is 25 floor and will have a sky-lobby:

Also, I'm not sure if we knew some of the following:

Trying make Books a Million site into restaurant and they're trying to convert some of the empty space to restaurant or office. It seems like some of this space was previously earmarked for retail, correct me if I'm wrong.

http://midwaycompanies.com/img/leasing/site-plans/GS-141001-Merch_Plan_-_NEW.pdf

greenstreet, has become such a hodgepodge of decisions / indecisions, to where i have become a bit discombobulated.  suddenly, it seems that there is just of whirlwind of restaurant interest surrounding this development.  where are the shops?  where are the apparel / shoes retailers?  home / household goods, for downtown residences?  what gives?  who knows, just what on earth is transpiring with HOTEL ALESSANDRA?  is it 21-stories?  is it now 25-stories?  the super transport elevator is now back in play... straight to the 25 floor sky lobby? what a mess... 

• Like 1

Do you blame them? Soft goods retail won't work without residents. And would you rather have empty store fronts in your development, or restaurants paying rent? Rest assured they don't want to be a food court for ever.

do i blame them?  are you kidding cloud?  this a MIDWAY COS development.  this company has just admitted via a now surfacing HAIF video, that they wish that they had gone much bigger with the overall scope / scale of city centre.  trust me my good pal, THERE ARE MANY MANY PEOPLE CURRENTLY LIVING IN DOWNTOWN HOUSTON!  (am i screaming enough?)  heck, i currently live there.  i was absolutely heartbroken when macy's closed.  i used to love to venture forth to the top floor of their home / housewares dept.  items for the kitchen, bedroom sheets and comforters, towels for the bathroom, right there in downtown for the choosing.  

trust me, good buddy, if they construct the right retail concepts, they shall be utilized / patronized big time.  should you still not believe me, just go back and reference the new MIDWAY video, that is now surfacing upon HAIF, and listen once again, to the hines corp gentleman state about the PACKED store phoenicia.  and how it would be so wonderful, if they could construct something similar within the market square area.  trust me, it is not that hard cloud.  if they build it, they will come.  heck, i shall try to be the first in line....

• Like 1

do i blame them? are you kidding cloud? this a MIDWAY COS development. this company has just admitted via a now surfacing HAIF video, that they wish that they had gone much bigger with the overall scope / scale of city centre. trust me my good pal, THERE ARE MANY MANY PEOPLE CURRENTLY LIVING IN DOWNTOWN HOUSTON! (am i screaming enough?) heck, i currently live there. i was absolutely heartbroken when macy's closed. i used to love to venture forth to the top floor of their home / housewares dept. items for the kitchen, bedroom sheets and comforters, towels for the bathroom, right there in downtown for the choosing.

trust me, good buddy, if they construct the right retail concepts, they shall be utilized / patronized big time. should you still not believe me, just go back and reference the new MIDWAY video, that is now surfacing upon HAIF, and listen once again, to the hines corp gentleman state about the PACKED store phoenicia. and how it would be so wonderful, if they could construct something similar within the market square area. trust me, it is not that hard cloud. if they build it, they will come. heck, i shall try to be the first in line....

Monarch... I was personally at that panel discussion... Trust me. I know.

I've also heard from multiple Midway reps about how hard it is to attract more soft goods stores to the unproven market of downtown. They want retail co tenancy and they want a larger residential base before that happens. As much as I want to see a crazy awesome retail district in downtown, its just not enough of a destination yet outside of the 9-5 crowd to warrant all these soft goods the 3,000 or so downtown residents desire.

Monarch... I was personally at that panel discussion... Trust me. I know.

I've also heard from multiple Midway reps about how hard it is to attract more soft goods stores to the unproven market of downtown. They want retail co tenancy and they want a larger residential base before that happens. As much as I want to see a crazy awesome retail district in downtown, its just not enough of a destination yet outside of the 9-5 crowd to warrant all these soft goods the 3,000 or so downtown residents desire.

trust me cloud, i get it.  also, congrats, for being in attendance at the panel discussion.  however, no one is asking for general custer midway, to send forth the calvary of every store imaginable!  greenstreet, is not that big anyway.  there is simply nothing preventing them from constructing a few TESTING concept stores, just to try out the market.  heck, they are certainly trying out the restaurant market.... overkill if you ask me.  

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

like i said, they don't want to be a "food court" for ever. if an H&M or something were to come knocking tomorrow they would obviously sign it. but again, those retailers want that retail co tenancy before they move into downtown.

believe me, i would love to see new concepts too. apparently they considered a small theater in the books a million spot but didn't because Sun Dance was too close or something. obviously thats not soft goods, but interesting none the less. and they've pretty much come to the realization that retail only works on the ground floor, and are pushing more boutique offices and stuff for the upper level.

ok my pal, i tell you what, lets just wait upon CRESCENT, to move forward with their planned renovations / upgrades of THE PARK SHOPS.  let us try and witness firsthand, upon whether or not, if Crescent is willing to make the necessary gamble, to bring forth class A retail establishments, into the downtown market.  please stay tuned....

• Like 1

heh. i agree.. (looking forward to an announcement from Crescent) I'm just passing along information told to me by multiple industry professionals. don't shoot the messenger.

well, of course not.  you're a HAIFER!  i shall patiently wait, and find out just who those "multiple industry professionals" are, and shoot them....

• Like 2

I still see downtown as more of a "destination point" than a residential area. That explains all the restaurants, but with the new green & purple lines opening soon, there will be more & more access to this incredible part of the city.

I think we're beginning to see the beginning of this revitalization with the Pearl/Whole Foos development.

• Like 3

I think Greenstreet will eventually land some soft goods retail. But it will happen well after the hotel is built and occupied.

Also, Mayor Parkers office definitely has something big planned for this "retail district" they are tearing up Dallas street for, the question is WHAT exactly.

It will all come, it's just gonna take awhile.

In the meantime, I'm still with LargeTexas on the idea that once the GRB renovation is finished and the new hotel is built and occupied, that area fronting A.D.L.A and Disco Green will become a major retail destination, abuzz with tons of foot traffic.

It will really give downtown that "pulse" that you see in the big cities downtowns like NYC and LA.

Not on that scale obviously, but it's a start.

• Like 7