GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I am not a big fan of renaming streets that have had the same name for many decades.  I kinda like retaining the original names, in order to maintain a memory of the past.

I admit, if we ever built anything noteworthy on Dallas Street, it would not surprise me if an out-of-town media person reported on it and mistakenly identified it as being in the city of Dallas.  However, I think it's kinda silly to fret over such things.  I'm reminded of the time a rather nice photo of downtown Houston was shown on a national news show and the voice-over identified it as being downtown Dallas.   Naturally, some guys needlessly got in a twist over that.   

Anyone remember when the Houston branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas opened their new facility here?  The signage said "Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas" until they changed it because people complained.  

My point is, I think we should focus on being the best Houston we can, and not in being insecure about how we compare to some other city.

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 2

I am not a big fan of renaming streets that have had the same name for many decades. I kinda like retaining the original names, in order to maintain a memory of the past.

I admit, if we ever built anything noteworthy on Dallas Street, it would not surprise me if an out-of-town media person reported on it and mistakenly identified it as being in the city of Dallas. However, I think it's kinda silly to fret over such things. I'm reminded of the time a rather nice photo of downtown Houston was shown on a national news show and the voice-over identified it as being downtown Dallas. Naturally, some guys needlessly got in a twist over that.

Anyone remember when the Houston branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas opened their new facility here? The signage said "Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas" until they changed it because people complained.

My point is, I think we should focus on being the best Houston we can, and not in being insecure about how we compare to some other city.

Don't be surprised to hear this line from our neighbors up north...

"The nicest/best thing about Houston is Dallas Street"

I'm sorry, I don't wanna hear this crap. Have some damn pride and give our neighbor to the north the middle finger they rightfully deserve. Rename the street.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

Don't be surprised to hear this line from our neighbors up north...

"The nicest/best thing about Houston is Dallas Street"

I'm sorry, I don't wanna hear this crap. Have some damn pride and give our neighbor to the north the middle finger they rightfully deserve. Rename the street.

It's petty nonsense like this that closes threads.

I'd seriously expect this on the old HAIF.

• Like 1

It's petty nonsense like this that closes threads.

I'd seriously expect this on the old HAIF.

Am I going deliberately into the Dallas threads and looking to pick fight? NO. That would be the petty nonsense that closes threads you speak of.

I'm stating that in my opinion, I would not like to see Dallas Street keep its name if it's going to be marketed as a destination. Everyone is entitled to their opinion in a forum setting. If you don't like my opinion, don't respond.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

Am I going deliberately into the Dallas threads and looking to pick fight? NO. That would be the petty nonsense that closes threads you speak of.

I'm stating that in my opinion, I would not like to see Dallas Street keep its name if it's going to be marketed as a destination. Everyone is entitled to their opinion in a forum setting. If you don't like my opinion, don't respond.

Did Chicago change Michigan Ave? Did we change Louisiana Street to "skyline district blvd"?

Absurd.

Did Chicago change Michigan Ave? Did we change Louisiana Street to "skyline district blvd"?

Absurd.

Did we have any sort of sibling rivalry with the state of Louisiana (or vice versa)? There is a difference here, whether we choose or ignore it or not. Some will choose to take the high road and that's fine. I have a different view on this and will stick to my guns.

Did we have any sort of sibling rivalry with the state of Louisiana (or vice versa)? There is a difference here, whether we choose or ignore it or not. Some will choose to take the high road and that's fine. I have a different view on this and will stick to my guns.

Yes about the Louisiana thing. But maybe that's just me.

What suggestions do you have for erasing Dallas at all costs from our fair city?

• Like 1

Yes about the Louisiana thing. But maybe that's just me.

What suggestions do you have for erasing Dallas at all costs from our fair city?

The Dallas name itself doesn't have to be erased from our city, just from Bagby to GRBCC where there are breaks from the other Dallas St alignments.

As previously stated, given its connection to GreenStreet and Discovery Green, one option could be Green St. GreenStreet's prominent signage here already could easily help reinforce the rebranding. And since Allen Parkway flows naturally into Dallas St's current downtown alignment, a continuation of Allen Parkway could work

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

Lol, we can go the confusing route and name it:

Market Street and watch tourists going all along it looking for Market Square.

Park Place and get people to wonder why one Park place is not on park place street.

It's kinda weird that downtown is choked full of names of Texas hero's, presidents, mayors, governors, etc, but Houston doesn't quite make it downtown.

What's also weird is past downtown, Dallas is a whole other street.

Lol, we can go the confusing route and name it:

Market Street and watch tourists going all along it looking for Market Square.

Not to mention The Woodlands has their own Market Street, and in Dallas and parts north, Market Street is a supermarket that is reportedly quite good.

I guess we could do it like New York City's Houston Street and just pronounce it in a completely different way.

Day-las Street it is.

Does anyone else HATE how they pronounce it in New York? I always correct them when I'm there, they get quite irritated.

• Like 4