GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

@ question 1

Depends. Its probably all under the same general contractor, but the owner probably has a contract with someone else to do the demo. Its a bit complicated because there are various ways of doing this. Sometimes you can have one company do the whole thing (Skanska with the Capital Tower (im guessing here)) or bits and pieces. They probably hired a particular demo guy that might have specialty in selective demo. Depending on the building process the Owner choices to undergo an Owner can have contracts with multiple people from different companies.

@ question 2

Pilings (or piers) are what go under a foundation to help stablize the building/ground floor plate. You will use pilings a lot in areas where you have highly active soils like here in Houston and most of the coastal plains for that matter. The more weight you are putting on a single site the deeper your piers have to go. We need Purdue in here to actually do the math/engineering, but know that pilings are buried into the ground and are not factored into the height or number of floors in the building. So that 100 ft is going all the way underground.

Agreed (sorry for the late reply)

Depth of the piles is based on the load they want to apply and the condition of the soil. While in theory, a 100 ft pile can take more load than a 50 ft pile, the number is meaningless unless I know how many piles there are and the connection detail for the cap. Piles can also be used in tension. Lets imagine the building is really wide. During high winds, theres a possibility that one side of the piles is in tension, and the other side in compression. So once again, depth can mean a lot of things in regards to pile design. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Yes. They put a 48" line the length of Dallas St, now they're still making life difficult. .. lol

Damn...I guess it's needed, and it isn't as big as some major transportation projects, but that's huge.

Speaking of giant chunks of missing GreenStreet space...what's going on with the hotel-that-shall-not-be-named?

Speaking of giant chunks of missing GreenStreet space...what's going on with the hotel-that-shall-not-be-named?

They’re working on it. You can see foundation stuff if you get to just the right angle, but it’s a pretty deep hole at the moment.

Can this hotel be complete and ready for booking in 15 months? Folks who know the trades (not me), is it even possible to be ready to accept reservation for the Super Bowl? The game will be in Feb 2017, I think. That means to me that the hotel is open and taking reservations in November 2016. Will they make it?

If the Sky House guys were building it, I would say yes, but at the rate they are going I don't see them doing it.

Which brings up a thought:

The city secured the super bowl by promising more hotel rooms. Anyone remember how many? Was there a specific location for those rooms to be added or could they be anywhere in the metroplex? Are we close or have we already passed the hurdle?

• Like 1

Which brings up a thought:

The city secured the super bowl by promising more hotel rooms. Anyone remember how many? Was there a specific location for those rooms to be added or could they be anywhere in the metroplex? Are we close or have we already passed the hurdle?

I don't think the city promised more hotel rooms than we already had.  We were required to commit 19,000 rooms.  We passed the hurdle long long ago (and with regard to the 2017 Super Bowl, had it met a the time the bid was made).  I'm pretty sure the only specific promise made to the Super Bowl selection committee regarding new hotels was that we would have the Marriott Marquis as part of the package.

I think we have somewhere around 75,000 hotel rooms in the metro area.  By the time the Super Bowl arrives, we should have well more than the 19,000 in just the central areas of Downtown/Medical Center/Museum District/Uptown/Greenway Plaza (if we didn't already).   Downtown and Uptown combined will have well over 16,000 rooms.

Edited by Houston19514

Alessandra website still says it's opening Fall 2016.

Well, that is good!

But, wasn't the Marriott marque also scheduled for fall 2016? Looking at it and looking at this project, it sure seems that this project is on a different timetable. Perhaps it will really begin to fly now.... It is a smaller hotel so, I guess it is certainly possible that it could catch up to the Marriott.

Edited by UtterlyUrban