GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Agreed. This is not rocket science...how many damn dumbass studies do these old farts need? Along Dallas Street: convert the old Sakowitz building into a Nordstrom or Bloomingdale's with luxe hotel/office/resi above, also add a Macy's (with resi/hotel/office above) and gfr/restaurants all along Dallas Street...push play. Very simple. Or they should take a field trip to Michigan Avenue in Chicago and take notes...then come back to Dallas Street and do something similar. Very simple. Anything less than that for a city/CBD the size of Houston is a big fat flop. All it takes is leadership, but Houston misses the mark on CBD retail leadership.

yup hit the nail on the head, i have friends who come in from chicago and even philly and they say thats their biggest complaint. can you imagine if we actually had a retail hub at greenstreet and that the Sakowitz building would be renovated into a major retailer. Imaging having a mini city centere like in downtown, man that would truly be awesome.

• Like 1

I think you're both right: both Dallas Street and Market Square will support great retail...just different kinds. Dallas Street is poised for big-box and high-street retail a la Michigan Avenue, whereas Market Square is geared more toward organic retail a la 14th St./Union Square NYC, with its surrounding gfr and locally sourced produce/flowers/baked goods/crafts, vendor carts/stands, etc. throughout the square.

Market square is not a retail hub and will never be. Stop fooling yourself, it would be a great spot for a small grocery store but its a nightlife area. Its where you go to get a drink or want to hit up a night spot. Theres huge differences between the two, your retail hub needs to be greenstreet. Its made for retail, it has great train access from two separate lines, the city pushed for this hotel nd they are redoing the entire Dallas street.

Greenstreet NEEDS to work for CBD retail future.

What would the city need to do to just "put" a big retailer in the Sakowitz building or "get rid of" the corner store on Main?  This is naive thinking, imo. I agree that these things would help improve DT retail; however, I don't see what the city has to do with both of these commercial entities.  The owners are there to make money and obviously the corner store is doing just that or it would have closed by now.

Tax incentives and renovations to promote growth is one thing, wishing the city would "get rid of" or repurpose private businesses because we prefer something else is another.

Edited by quietstorm
  • Like 2

What would the city need to do to "just put" a big retailer in the Sakowitz building or "get rid of" the corner store on Main? This is naive thinking, imo. I agree that these things would help improve DT retail; however, I don't see what the city has to do with both of these commercial entities. The owners are there to make money and obviously the corner store is doing just that or it would have closed by now.

Tax incentives and renovations to promote growth is one thing, wishing the city would "get rid of" or repurpose private businesses because we prefer something else is another.

Does the corner store owner own the property as well or do they rent? Incentives to refurbish and restore older buildings might be a good idea. Maybe then a developer would make an offer on the building itself rather than the store? Edited by Montrose1100

Does the corner store owner own the property as well or do they rent? Incentives to refurbish and restore older buildings might be a good idea. Maybe then a developer would make an offer on the building itself rather than the store?

Good idea.  For the "Just a Dollar" store at 901 Main, HCAD shows it is owned by Indus Business Corp and its current appraisal value is $1.5 million (which I'm sure the owners would ask for more).  The Main Food Store at 1101 Main is owned by a Valika Real Estate and is appraised at just over $1 million.

Edited by quietstorm

Good idea. For the "Just a Dollar" store at 901 Main, HCAD shows it is owned by Indus Business Corp and its current appraisal value is $1.5 million (which I'm sure the owners would ask for more). The Main Food Store at 1101 Main is owned by a Valika Real Estate and is appraised at just over $1 million.

This maybe selfish & off topic but if that building was restored and turned into a two-story Starbucks it would be awesome. Close to all the hotels, good for lunch too. Every time I pick up a coffee and then drive downtown, everyone asks where the closest one is. I have no idea.
  • Like 1

There are Starbucks in the tunnels under 600 Travis (Chase), Pennzoil, and One Shell (that come to mind).  There's one at ground level at 1100 Louisiana, one in the Park Shops, and I wanna say there's another on the gerbil tube level of One or Two Houston (but I might be wrong about that).  And of course the new one at the Hilton Americas, and another at the foot of Main at UHD.

There are also a number of Seattle's Best - Two Shell and Centerpoint at the tunnel level come to mind.

The Coffee Borg is just about everywhere - if you can't find one, you're not looking too hard.

• Like 1

There are Starbucks in the tunnels under 600 Travis (Chase), Pennzoil, and One Shell (that come to mind). There's one at ground level at 1100 Louisiana, one in the Park Shops, and I wanna say there's another on the gerbil tube level of One or Two Houston (but I might be wrong about that). And of course the new one at the Hilton Americas, and another at the foot of Main at UHD.

There are also a number of Seattle's Best - Two Shell and Centerpoint at the tunnel level come to mind.

The Coffee Borg is just about everywhere - if you can't find one, you're not looking too hard.

Are they open on the weekend?

Edit: I guess easily accessible on the weekend is the real question*

Edited by Montrose1100

Three story starbucks

Also, forgot the starbucks they just opened in GRB

I went by that Starbucks last Sunday and the prices are more expensive than other Starbucks. Like $1-2 more per drink (Coffee). Wine glasses were like $15 and beer was $7.5. With that said, it was still packed with the weight lifters from the international tournament they had and a bunch of little girl cheerleaders and their moms. 

Two popular Italian restaurants announced chef changes on Monday, but one will have a more immediate impact than the other. 

Turns out that Radio Milano chef Jose Hernandez hasn't departed the CityCentre restaurant quite yet. He will remain at the upscale Italian spot in the Hotel Sorella for the next six months or so before shifting to the still-unnamed restaurant at theeagerly anticipated Hotel Alessandra that will open in theGreenStreet development in late 2016. The Hotel Sorella and the Alessandra are owned by The Valencia Group

A representative for the hotel couldn't say whether this move had been in Hernandez's plans all along or the company had simply made the CultureMap Tastemaker Awards Chef of the Year nominee an offer he couldn't refuse by giving him the opportunity to shape both the design and concept for the restaurant. Either way, it's a win for both Radio Milano, which keeps Hernandez long enough for him to install a new menu, and for the Alessandra, which will be better equipped to attract diners with a talented chef like Hernandez in the kitchen.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/11-30-15-chef-changes-two-popular-italian-restaurants-make-new-moves-at-the-helm-1/

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...