GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, someone really wanted a new window. :)

In more seriousness, does anyone else notice the lighter concrete square immediately around the hole? It looks like there may have been a previous repair in that exact same spot.

EDIT: I can't find the lighter square box in the picture before the hole appeared, so maybe not.

Edited by PeopleAreStrange

It will be nice when it's all done - but I feel bad for that coffee shop and the existing retail. Drove past the other night and no one at the coffee shop but the barista - on a saturday night.

I want to tell them to HOLD the line - better times are coming - hope they can hold on.

I believe you are referring to Ben's Beans. I hope so too. I like that place. With that said, I think the law students help them out quite a bit and they are in between semesters right now, so it could be a reason as to why it was empty.

It will be nice when it's all done - but I feel bad for that coffee shop and the existing retail. Drove past the other night and no one at the coffee shop but the barista - on a saturday night.

I want to tell them to HOLD the line - better times are coming - hope they can hold on.

Isn't the "Dallas Street Retail" project a city project? Could the city have offered the mom and pop stores some sort or concessions for ripping up the street for so long?

Another question I had in regards to the enhancements for the retail district. For some reason, I could really see a Bubba Gumps, Rainforest Cafe type of restaurant doing well close to the House of Blues, close to where the Marlowe will be going. You can get the steady clientele from visitors to Toyota Center, Convention goers, and House of Blues visitors. I am a big Mom and Pop guy, but I just see the place perfect for the big chain restaurants. 

• Like 1

Huh? Is it even economical for restaurants to build standalone restaurants in downtown anymore, given the real estate prices?

Edit: a few more recent ones come to mind, like the Landrys steakhouse place next to the Westin, but they inherited that space beside it when they acquired the hotel, I assume?

Edited by cloud713

Another question I had in regards to the enhancements for the retail district. For some reason, I could really see a Bubba Gumps, Rainforest Cafe type of restaurant doing well close to the House of Blues, close to where the Marlowe will be going. You can get the steady clientele from visitors to Toyota Center, Convention goers, and House of Blues visitors. I am a big Mom and Pop guy, but I just see the place perfect for the big chain restaurants.

How about we get something delicious? And not tragic? The aquarium could use a rainforest...

Edit: Well I guess they are inevitable for touristy areas, like the Galleria. Hard to think of a place in this city that will have those places pop up. I guess it won't be official unless we have a ripley's, then we will know for sure.

Edited by Montrose1100

Whats the point of investing all this money if you are just trying to add another restaurant ? You need retail here not more restaurants

It has to be both. Having both allows people to walk around to go from one to another and creates a more vibrant setting.