Montrose Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Mick

From Isiah Carey's Insite blog:

After years of entertaining the community with one of the best live performances in the region Houston's own Scott Gertner confirms he is closing one of the most popular venues - the SkyBar.

Gertner pulls no punches on the issue. He says the Montrose Blvd. nightclub is closing because the new owner of the building where his club is located is not making the needed repairs.

Gertner says, "they will likely close the building all together."

http://carey2.blogspot.com/2010/06/breaking-news-scott-gertners-skybar-is.html

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Has anyone been to this new restaurant on S. Shepherd?

Greatfull Taco

Their press release is rather bizarre. I may have to try them.

Greatfull Taco –AND-- Greatfull Taco LIVE !

Greatfull Taco (“GT”) is a fresh restaurant in Houston, Texas. Greatfull Taco is the creation and synthesis of businessman,

restaurateur, and music fan of Paul West – who owns the idea, the creation and supervision of it Lock, Stock and Taco. Greatfull

Taco is best stereotyped as a tacqueria for non-Latin’s (stereotypes are real) - mixing a passion and dedication to food and music

into an amalgamation of unique and fresh ideas, combinations, flavors and feelings.

GT seeks to speak to and connect with its customers in unique and thoughtful ways to stand along the roads of life encouraging

those to keep on track with their own unique journey. GT believes many things and always has an opinion, which frequently

changes with correction of bias, correction of information, new facts or impressions, and maturity. GT is open from breakfast to

late night and is easily described but difficult to understand. While perhaps labeled “gourmet” tacos, (think the SAT test

comparisons of : McDonalds is to Fuddruckers as Taco Bell is to Greatfull Taco), the food is hardly gourmet, but is fresh and

good. Chef driven taco’s may be another label, but yet GT taco boasts two gourmet venues within the physical space: the Owners

Room and the Chef’s Table. Located on one of the busiest north-south Houston boulevards, GT arose like a phoenix from the

ashes of many a failed fortune-losing restaurants, including the latest ashes of Sabetta Wine Café and Bar (an Italian wine café).

These failed ventures prove excellent fertilizer for the new concept – Greatfull Taco. GT is assisted by international chefs Riccardo

Palazzo-Georgio, and naturalized Citizen Chef Miguel Romero.

Obviously paying respect and tribute to the current touring, most “recorded” and long-lasting rock band, The Grateful Dead, GT

seeks to feed the masses and entertain the classes. GT serves only beer from the America’s (why import water), wines from around

the world (art does have its form), and employ’s common Americans who wish to be better, but uncertain as to whether they are.

Greatfull Taco believes in many things, including: aliens exist statistically; musicians and chef’s are common people with special

talents and sometimes, extraordinary problems; people globally and locally alike and in fact not alike, are very different despite

what the media and politicians try to dupe us into believing; we Americans are generally no better morally than the other guy or

our neighbor; that Cain killed Able – so we can start from there as to what humans are capable of; Roger Rabbit in fact did do it;

that the Kennedy conspiracy did occur; way too many musicians either died trying to get a good night sleep or died in their own

vomit; that CSNY got it right in their song about war; that planned immigration/temporary work status is probably good, or

migration will result; that politicians are generally the Hoi Polloi; that old Mad Magazine’s were da bomb; that the world would

be a safer happy place if Alfred E. Neuman would win the Presidency; that 1st term prexy Obama is not the master of the universe

and doesn’t have the “Force” within him; that advertising and commercials SUCK (except some Scandinavian TV commercials);

and in the saying : “I’d rather be MOSHING!”, it is the freedom of choice that allows us to be sinners or not: that marijuana

should be decriminalized immediately; that travel and trade to /with Cuba should have been unrestricted long ago; that a high

school and college education should be compulsory in some form and fashion.

GT founder and owner, Paul West is a father, husband (more than once), imperfect, a philanthropist, triathlete, Bar owner,

restaurateur, a hedge fund, a ponzi, a patsy, an executive, a board member, sometimes bored member, a friend, a CPA, a good

Samaritan, a car enthusiast, an elitist, a common man and victim of infallibilities, a staunch American, a critic of world politicians,

a fan of world leaders; a pacifist, a proponent of non-violent solutions, a concert goer, a buyer of music and a ripper of music, a

world traveler, and sometimes, when called upon, a soldier of fortune and mercenary. Mr. West served corporate time and full

sentence without pardon at Deloitte & Touche, Landry’s Seafood Restaurants, and as part-owner of the Sherlock’s and Baker Street

Pub chain. He is a puritan, a sinner, an agent for social and philosophical change, a helper of people, a sometimes ******* and

part-time friend, and fan of the 9:30 Club. He is a fan of Burl Ives, Johnny Cash, Grand Funk Railroad (first album purchase), Jack

White, 30 Seconds to Mars, Crystal Castle, and Slightly Stoopid – not to mention Seattle-based Brandi Carlile and Fences, among

others. Mr. West, originally from the DC area (a Texan since 1977), still seeks to understand and appreciate country music, and as

such is having the old school country band Burch Creek Band, play live at the actual opening weekend for Greatfull Taco in

Houston, and a Johnny Cash Birthday Bash, one weekend later.

Greatfull Taco LIVE ! is the expression of GT and Mr. West’s dedication to assisting and promoting new music and musicians to

the unsuspecting public. In a developing partnership with Houston’s Warehouse Live, Greatfull Music LIVE ! will sponsor

concerts, will host live music concerts, and generally seek to support and to assist musicians plying their trade and wares.

I hear that if the total ends in an amount over 44 cents, they don't give change on a cash purchase to encourage people to use a credit or debit card. Very strange. Why would you encourage something that costs you a fee? I also hear all the employees are making at least $20 an hour. Tipping is not expected.

Edited by kylejack

I hear that if the total ends in an amount over 44 cents, they don't give change on a cash purchase to encourage people to use a credit or debit card. Very strange. Why would you encourage something that costs you a fee? I also hear all the employees are making at least $20 an hour. Tipping is not expected.

If I don't get exact change, they certainly should not expect a tip.

Reading that release almost makes me want to quit doing advertising for Uncle Sugar, and start doing advertising for people who fail in more interesting ways. Almost.

You should go see the movie Rubber at the River Oaks. It's about a tire that becomes self-aware and that rolls around southern California making humans and small animals explode because it delights in such things. I am instilling brand awareness in you now. You must see it. Your masochistic curiosity and peer pressure from self-proclaimed opinion leaders compel you.

And that is why Greatfull Taco will succeed.

To clarify, they don't give the coins. They still give the bill change. Still, very strange.

Some have said that this practice is common in other places, but I've never heard of it.

yeah, that is still treading a very fine line.

if someone advertises a specific price for a service, then they charge more for that service (by not giving you coins back as change) all because they don't want to accept legal tender, yeah, not sure that will last too long.

Edited by samagon

I think they are accepting legal tender--they are accepting your money. they just aren't giving you back any change. if they have a sign explaining this policy, then you should know that's the deal to which you are agreeing.

that said, this policy would make the sales tax the company owes to the state very difficult to calculate.

just my two cents :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I give this place a big thumbs up.

I went with my sister for lunch. Incredible bottled beer selection. Sonic ice for folks that love that like I do. The prices were cheaper than any of the burrito joints nearby. Plus, the slow simmered chicken in my Mexicali taco was absolutely perfect. The corn tortillas were solid too and the rest of the ingredients (avocado slice, homemade pico, and lime wedge) were super fresh.

I will definitely go back.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

don julio's didn't last bc it was garbage tex-mex in a city full of great tex-mex. feast's biggest problem was its accessibility, not so much in terms of the food but in the actual ability to access the restaurant... it literally had no parking and and no driveway, which meant sitting on westheimer waiting for valet. that doesn't fly, especially in houston. even a modest area to pull into off the street like dolce vita or indika would've worked wonders.

If that's what did it, that's really sad. There is plenty of parking on side streets a few blocks away. Every time I've been on the weekdays they have had a good crowd (small but the place is small). Its never empty.

This was good quality unique food, sad to see it go...

The restaurant was a success. The closure I'm sure has nothing to do with it not being success because it was. The restaurant is simply closing because the owners chose not to renew the lease. The chefs/owners I'm sure are just ready to move on to a new project or venture.

The restaurant was a success. The closure I'm sure has nothing to do with it not being success because it was. The restaurant is simply closing because the owners chose not to renew the lease. The chefs/owners I'm sure are just ready to move on to a new project or venture.

That's not what the restaurant's owners said. http://www.chron.com/life/food/article/Why-Feast-is-closing-and-what-s-next-4087920.php

Edited by Houston19514