Montrose Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Mick

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They still haven't opened?! Wasn't this supposed to open, like, two years ago?

In that time, local mediocre eatery Sully's lived and died, sat vacant, and was extensively renovated inside and out to be Torchy's Tacos, another Austin institution, which opened at least three other eateries in that time. What's the hold up?

Haha for such a small project (relatively speaking) this thing sure had taken forever. That said they've made steady progress the past few months and look pretty close to opening. It'll do gangbusters though, especially if we continue this trend of mild weather.

They still haven't opened?! Wasn't this supposed to open, like, two years ago?

In that time, local mediocre eatery Sully's lived and died, sat vacant, and was extensively renovated inside and out to be Torchy's Tacos, another Austin institution, which opened at least three other eateries in that time. What's the hold up?

My understanding is that they had issues with the right of way on that property.  The Wendy's and whatever had been there before that encroached on the ROW and this place had a chunk of its patio designed on it.  They had to get it sorted out.  Or something like that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chronicle had a blurb about this-- guess high rise apartments will go up at former location

Tex-Mex restaurant El Tiempo 1308 Cantina has found a new home.

Located at 1308 Montrose Blvd, the restaurant's owners are relocating it about a mile away to 322 Westheimer Road, the site of the former La Casa Del Caballo, a steakhouse that closed on Dec. 31.

El Tiempo 1308 Cantina is among six El Tiempo Cantina's owned by the Laurenzo family. Roland Laurenzo confirmed the relocation in a public statement issued in an email on Dec. 22. Word of the popular Montrose eatery's closure was originally announced in October, however, at the time the Laurenzo family was unsure where it would relocate the restaurant.

El Tiempo Cantina lost its lease at 1308 Montrose Blvd. because the site is being redeveloped as a high-rise apartment building, said James Kelleher, director of marketing for the restaurant chain.

It will take approximately three months to remodel its new space on Westheimer. But Kelleher said the new location should be open by April 1.

"La Casa Del Caballo is a beautiful location," he said. "We want to preserve it as much as possible. Very little remodeling will need to be done at the new location."

Edited by trymahjong

Casa del Caballo had some issues, but I will miss it, particularly since it added a bit more diversity to the restaurant scene here.  The owner had (has?) a successful restaurant in Saltillo, Mexico (a town west of Monterey that has some charming parts).  From talking to him, I got the impression that he just assumed he would be as successful here without having to try very hard to adapt his product to local tastes.  He didn't seem very receptive to helpful suggestions in that regard, either.

I gave up on the El Tiempo product years ago, but I might go back if only to enjoy the ambience of the building. 

I agree it's a lovely building and it puzzles me at how 'unsuccessful ' the business that use it. But I am curios about how the parking situation will work out since it seems El Tiempo seems to be expanding the building. I wonder if something was worked out to share parking with the old Numbers building-- ?

I wonder about parking also. Hope it's not going to be like the Richmond location that is valet only. That was one of the reasons I liked the 1308 location. 

I agree it's a lovely building and it puzzles me at how 'unsuccessful ' the business that use it. But I am curios about how the parking situation will work out since it seems El Tiempo seems to be expanding the building. I wonder if something was worked out to share parking with the old Numbers building-- ?

Yes Parking is something to wonder about-- There is a lot of permit parking only along Avondale and Stratford and goodness knows there is one zealous  parking officer that seems to put out tickets regularly--- Nothing ever seems to address the issue of parking shortage-- and I've noticed all that big talk about a "Parking Authority" similar (but not exactly) like the one along Washington Ave has all gone away?

. . . . . . sigh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would be nice to enjoy sushi "made by an actual Japanese person" again!  :-)  

I have had friends complain about my attitude by saying "authentic doesn't necessarily mean good".  And ... I admit that I've had traditional sushi made by Guatemalans that was good ... also, non-traditional sushi-fusion stuff made by other people that was good.  But, I still yearn for traditional sushi, sashimi, and other Japanese fare, which I guess any human being can learn to prepare.  However, many don't if its not part of their culture and upbringing.  

Anyway, I'm open-minded and don't expect my notion of "what's traditional" to dictate what is enjoyable to me or to others.

• 1 month later...

raw criminal element in the neighborhood?

hmmmmmmmmm

Maybe 10 years ago when I first moved in Avondale. Lots of drug dealing and prostitution on each street corner. Not so much anymore.At least no one approaches my car now  when I pause at a Stop sign.

Civic club rallied neighbors. Neighbors make lots of calls to 311 and HPD calls to COH councilmembers and Yep there is more police presence in the neighborhood. Squeaky wheel and all that stuff. . . . .

Plus  Prices of houses went up-Type of People who could afford the neighborhood changed. . . . . .  this neighborhood changed.

I hope this is an anomaly.  

Heard on channel 2 that there is a "Take Back Montrose" rally at Westheimer and Montrose tomorrow night-----To bring awareness

This area does get a bad rap about being crime ridden which leaves me baffled since  HPD hands out monthly crime stats at each PIP meeting that list the addresses of crime in and around  Avondale (Central one District)--There isn't that much and most of the crime is BMV

Well at least we don't have to follow your Instragram since you post all your pictures here Howard.

Anyways, when criminals are willing to kill for a Ford Sedan, you should always have your safety in mind no matter what part of the city you are in. Pepper Spray, Bear Mace, a knife, Tasers, and even Guns. Take a safety course, get certified, and protect yourself. 

If you're not Rambo, even if you have any of the above, the best choice is to give the criminals what they want. It's a car. That's what insurance is for. Not worth losing a life over. Please don't take this as a criticism to the victim, I feel for him and his family, It's just advise for anyone unlucky enough to face this in the future.

• Like 3