Montrose Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Mick

I could never figure out their hours. They seemed to be closed randomly.

I live a few blocks away and it was nice to be able to get a quick unique sandwich when I wanted it. I have tried 5 different sandwiches there, and several were outstanding, the others were average.

last time i went we called ahead for 10 sandwiches on the morning of Summerfest, and everyone (mostly out of towners) were happy with the food.

Edit: Just called, they are open until 3pm for the next two weeks, then back to their normal hours closing at 8pm.

Edited by skwatra

Yeah, I like Juan Mon's a lot... my friend even hosted a karaoke night there which was a lot of fun.  I think the owner might be traveling or something this month, and he doesn't have a whole bunch of employees. 

Such a cool building with the historic gas station too, but I agree it would be much visible if they were up on Gray, or even down at Fairview. 

I heard a patio type bar was going in from a friend who lives around there, but didn't see anything official.

Doc watsons from austin... Big patio, open air type spot on soco. It will def be a nice addition to the area. Really liking the concentration of casual spots there - doc's, royal oak, catbirds, hay merchant, boondocks, anvil, the new bar being built next door to boondocks, pistoleros

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe because they're two independent businesses?

Uhhh? I know they're independent businesses.

But i was assuming that the Wendy's closed because it wasn't keeping up with the current vision for that area. That whole area is changing and it seems that since Wendy's and McDonald's  are the same type of businesses, i was wondering why both of them couldn't remain.

Who's vision for the area?

According to HCAD records, McDonald's real estate corporation owns the property for the location at Westheimer and Commonwealth. They seem to do a steady business at that location. I don't see how it relates to the closing and demo of a nearby Wendy's franchise location that seemed to be empty most of the time. 

Uhhh? I know they're independent businesses.

But i was assuming that the Wendy's closed because it wasn't keeping up with the current vision for that area. That whole area is changing and it seems that since Wendy's and McDonald's are the same type of businesses, i was wondering why both of them couldn't remain.

That's pretty specious reasoning. Why would mcdonalds (or any business for that matter) care about the "current vision for that area"? Businesses close bc they either aren't performing, are forced to (lease not renewed) or were given an incentive to close (offer they couldn't refuse). Don't over think this.

Who's vision for the area?

According to HCAD records, McDonald's real estate corporation owns the property for the location at Westheimer and Commonwealth. They seem to do a steady business at that location. I don't see how it relates to the closing and demo of a nearby Wendy's franchise location that seemed to be empty most of the time. 

Ok. You could've just said this in the beginning.

This remodel will expand the existing structure pretty significantly -- it won't be recognizable. Expect the patio to border the sidwalk in front -- should be a nice size. Will go well along with El Real and Royal Oak for bringing the patio life out to the street and sidewalk.

Pic of the current state of remodel here...seems to me it would have been cheaper just to level the old place and start over....

http://swamplot.com/austin-bar-docs-to-remedy-montrose-wendys-wreckage/2013-08-15/

I saw the sign today at 507 Westheimer.

Roots Bistro  wouldn't commit to hosting the Avondale Asso Social gathering for Spring or Summer, but kept deferring that "Corporate Office" had to make decision. This seemed strange to me as I thought most of the people involved were local----- those (wait staff and chef) that had walked out on Ruggles down the street. There was a sign on the door at Roots that said "Electrical Problems". I read the article in Houston Press that said one of the 5 best plates of Enchiladas were served at Radical Eats, 507 Westheimer.  I was puzzled   then the street sign changed to Radical Eats.

I'm hoping  this venue doesn't have that whiff of cursed . . .

• Like 1

didn't Roots have an investor or two pull out?  seems like the ownership group just didn't have it together... oh well.  i've never been to Radical Eats but it gets pretty good reviews for a vegetarian/vegan restaurant and i actually really look forward to having it in the neighborhood.

Hi, 

My name is Yvonne and I do PR for Radical Eats. We'd love for you to stop by for the Grand Opening tomorrow night. Here's a link to the press release.

Also, I've spoken with Staci, the chef and owner of Radical Eats, and she'd be happy to speak with you about hosting the Avondale Association Spring and Fall meetings. You can find Staci's contact information at the bottom of the press release.

Thanks!

Yvonne