Montrose Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Mick

hmmmmmmmmm not sure about the bland bit . . . . they bring out that big pepper mill and crank away. I liked the idea of this place, I'm always charmed that the building was saved and I liked the space.

I always walked so the parking thing wasn't a problem. Somehow most times I went, they seemed a bit stressed, as if one server hadn't shown up.

I got an email that, they are serving a huge Christmas Dinner, Dec. 18th. I hope it's a full house, so they can have a bit of financial cushion.

Edited by trymahjong

• 1 month later...

I didn't see this any where:

http://www.29-95.com/restaurants/story/chef-kevin-bryant-head-new-seafood-restaurant-montrose-neighborhood

New seafood-centric, high end place coming to the old Biba's location at 607 W Gray.

The building currently is being renovated and will include seating on the main floor and bar area for 120 with a patio that can accommodate about 100 additional guests; upstairs will be private dining for 80-90 including a private terrace. There also will be a chef’s table accommodating up to 12.

• 1 month later...

So I tried this place called Fabio's Fresh Pasta today off Shepherd and Alabama. All I have to say is AMAZING. He sells pasta by the pound, I got gnocchi for $6 and spinach fettucini for $4.85. He also has imported tiramisu for $4.50 and homemade sauce for $5.50. The most ironic thing is he supplies 48 restaurants in Houston with fresh pasta. Birraporetti's, Arturo's, among others. How people don't know about this place is beyond me because the restaurants buy his stuff and upcharge multiple times over for it.

He's still kinda new. He used to be in the space across from Feast on Westheimer, and was only open limited hours. He moved over to W Alabama a little while ago. Haven't been since he moved, but I do like his pasta.

I meant to go but it closed before I ever went. Now he just sells to restaurants and people. It's pretty good stuff at a reasonable price.

Maybe he just likes the place. Not many places selling fresh pasta in Houston. This place, Damico's, and Hubbell & Hudson up in The Woodlands are the ones I know of.

Basically. I like a few italian places. Capri Pasta in the woodlands is the best. Papa Mio and Mandola's are very good also. This is just a good deal and I've never found anywhere else that sells it fresh.

• 3 months later...

This really isn't big news. The business never really grew successful. A few months ago,one of the owners shared this would probably happen, speculating that a yoga studio would take over. Looks like they are selling off the furniture.

This really isn't big news. The business never really grew successful. A few months ago,one of the owners shared this would probably happen, speculating that a yoga studio would take over. Looks like they are selling off the furniture.

I always wondered about that place - I hardly ever saw it open, and when it was, there weren't any people in it.....seemed like a good location (except for parking) with the other places popping up around there....

It  never seemed to gain a foothold in that area. The Fairview did a deal to share parking with Boheme but it still didn't get many customers. They seemed to try everything--built that patio, movie night, trivia night. . . . . .  

The interior layout was ...awkward. The bar was fine, but then they put oversized couches against the inside wall that were too far apart for a group of people to talk to each other.

about that bar . . . . . . . . why they never tried to offer draft beer-really puzzled me, especially as the ground swell of draft/craft brew mania started to swell.

I don't think Boheme or Cuchara offered draft/craft and I think Ziggy/Grafitti only offers St Arnolds on draft (although this week I think they are spotlighting Lone Pint Brewery from Magnolia) So (IMO) showcasing a few local craft beers on tap-----------might have brought in more customers.

Edited by trymahjong

I think it just comes down to management.

Being at the Front porch last night, I saw how packed it was as opposed to every bar within walking distance.   Some people know what works and there is always location.

why dry cleaner?  i love the one on gray and taft.  

juan mon's was okay food, but i didn't think much of the location.  not visible enough from major streets --  i would always forget it was there.  

there wasn't any beer or wine offered either  :/

What's up with the old Wendys off Westheimer in Montrose? I knew that place would eventually close doors due to the nicer things around it, any idea on plans for the land?

Does anyone know what the new establishment is?  I noticed the old building is being remodled into something bigger and hopefully better.