Montrose Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Mick

As long as Disco Kroger and Aladdin are allowed to survive, I'm cool with whatever they do to the intersection. Frankly, I'd love to see that unsightly strip mall disappear, so long as Half Priced Books is moved somewhere that's still convenient. The Spec's is sorta redundant considering the big Spec's is only about a mile away. I've yet to be impressed by 369, and Quizno's and Papa John's could easily and cheaply move to a different location. I just hope that if a midrise complex is built there it's allowed to complement the neighborhood instead of being an out-of-place cookie-cutter yuppie complex.

While I'm not opposed to a midrise in principle, I just don't think that intersection - which is already congested enough - could handle the additional traffic that a bunch of people/cars in a midrise would create.

For ages I've wished that a really cool grocery store like a Trader Joe's (wish, wish wish!) would move into the old Blockbuster strip center. A girl can dream, right? :D

While I'm not opposed to a midrise in principle, I just don't think that intersection - which is already congested enough - could handle the additional traffic that a bunch of people/cars in a midrise would create.

For ages I've wished that a really cool grocery store like a Trader Joe's (wish, wish wish!) would move into the old Blockbuster strip center. A girl can dream, right? :D

A midrise with perhaps 150 residents is a traffic nightmare, yet a grocery store serving hundreds, perhaps thousands of customers per day would be a dream?

:wacko:

• Like 2

A midrise with perhaps 150 residents is a traffic nightmare, yet a grocery store serving hundreds, perhaps thousands of customers per day would be a dream?

:wacko:

no kididng. Especially a Trader Joes. In terms of shopper congestion, TJs would makes Central Market on a Saturday look empty.

Great store, (and home of the mighty Three Buck Chuck) but so popular it would be a traffic and parking mess in that spot.

I have lived about 4 blocks from that intersection for the past nine years. I don't find it particularly busy - even at rush hour.

I would like to see higher density in the 'trose. A little extra traffic is a small price to pay for the services the extra people will demand.

• Like 1

I have lived about 4 blocks from that intersection for the past nine years. I don't find it particularly busy - even at rush hour.

I would like to see higher density in the 'trose. A little extra traffic is a small price to pay for the services the extra people will demand.

Well whether you find it so or not, its quite a busy intersection. I ride my bike through it all the time and can attest to the honkers and crowding.

I guess it all depends on whose ox is being gored.

I walk, drive, and bike that intersection with great regularity and find it easy to navigate. (compare Kirby and Richmond, or Kirby and Alabama)

We need more density inside the loop. If the price we pay is a little more traffic, so be it. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. If you want to live in the "inner city" you can't expect it to feel like Sugar Land or The Woodlands.

I have a friend who lives in Afton Oaks and brags about being an inner looper, and how cool it is to be able to be so close to everything downtown. But he bitches and bitches about the light rail - just the thing that would enable him to take advantage of the things downtown he likes - but without a car.

The intersection of Montrose and Westheimer is an embarrassment. That should be a vibrant, throbbing, active, hot, and happening place. And what is it? A smoothie king, a gas station, a buffet restaurant and an empty lot.

For goodness sake! Think about the city for a minute or two. But if your little problem getting across that intersection is more important than making Houston a more livable city, well I guess that is just the way you roll.

I don't think that anyone would have a problem with a midrise on that corner if the city were able to somehow fix the intersection itself. Perhaps the reason that there aren't more "vibrant, throbbing, active, hot" businesses at that intersection is primarily because it's horrifically designed and terrible to navigate? The lanes are almost too narrow to even accommodate a compact car, which leads to constant issues. Example: When a Metro bus comes trundling down Westheimer, the poor beast has to take up both lanes when approaching the stop light and at the light itself. Even regular cars can barely fit in the lanes at the lights. Montrose is a bit better, but that stretch of Westheimer is way too narrow to function well as it is right now. If something could possibly be done about that, then perhaps the intersection would see more businesses than just a Smoothie King.

I don't think that anyone would have a problem with a midrise on that corner if the city were able to somehow fix the intersection itself. Perhaps the reason that there aren't more "vibrant, throbbing, active, hot" businesses at that intersection is primarily because it's horrifically designed and terrible to navigate? The lanes are almost too narrow to even accommodate a compact car, which leads to constant issues. Example: When a Metro bus comes trundling down Westheimer, the poor beast has to take up both lanes when approaching the stop light and at the light itself. Even regular cars can barely fit in the lanes at the lights. Montrose is a bit better, but that stretch of Westheimer is way too narrow to function well as it is right now. If something could possibly be done about that, then perhaps the intersection would see more businesses than just a Smoothie King.

The sway of the road to the west of the intersection also seems to create a lot of congestion. I wonder what the chances are of an eventual re-alignment to straighten it out.

Ooh Noo, a Tower of Terror, ala Ashby!laugh.gif

Yep, the right lane on Westheimer is almost useless starting at Bagby, and with the narrow lanes and the large Metro buses, driving side-by-side in many areas means crossing into oncoming traffic. To add to the fun, the right lane of Westheimer started to massively deteriorate about a year after the repaving.

Oh for the Lower Westheimer of the late 70's early 80's. B)

The Tower Theater, Numbers (1 not 2), QT's, the Midnight Sun,

Tila's, Felix Mexican Restaurant, Ruggles, Spud-You-Like, and

many other establishments I've forgotten.

There was lots of foot traffic and car cruising...and then..

Edited by Tejo

Oh for the Lower Westheimer of the late 70's early 80's. B)

The Tower Theater, Numbers (1 not 2), QT's, the Midnight Sun,

Tila's, Felix Mexican Restaurant, Ruggles, Spud-You-Like, and

many other establishments I've forgotten.

There was lots of foot traffic and car cruising...and then..

I think you are forgetting about Boobie Rock and all the other SOBs.

Then Elanor put in the SOB law, and all the intersections sprouted "No Turn" signs and all that traffic went away.

How many of you have EVER had to wait for more than 1 light cycle at the Montrose/Westheimer intersection? More than 2? I can't even think of the last time I waited through 2 unless some goober head was texting and not watching the lights.

Interesting the discussion about plans for that block where Prive is-one of the owners sat with the avondale group at the pride parade--- I think on- going divorce ------------settlement isn't finshed yet and so the future of prive is uncertain.-------

I heard Wanda Adams talking about the El Felix property at a summer Neartown meeting where the "charette" (know each of you would love being a fly on the wall--)was being discussed-- I didn't quite hear everything that was said and emailed asking for the details-- this is the response I received--

Concerning the Old El Felix Property adeveloper who has done several types of restaurant developments in other majorcities has bought the property. He has communicated to our office that his planis to have a restaurant reminiscent of Dubai ,a Middle Eastern, yet modern theme. The entire project encompasses a lounge, restaurant,and coffee bar and is ambitiously seeking to be complete by this winter. Iwill say that the developer did mention an outside component to thisdevelopment. We would be interested if this gets completed the community'sfeelings on that?

I have no concentrate details in terms ofbusiness specifics i.e. - liquor license, hours of operation, plans forparking. My assumption is that it is too early to tell, as with mostdevelopments right now funding is difficult and several logistical items arestill being worked out.

Jeron Ravin

The Office of Council Member Wanda Adams

A midrise would probable do quite well, particularly if it had a retail on the first floor. As it currently stands, qwuite a few people in the 'Trose. Walk or ride their scooters/bikes to DK and other establishments in the areas to get what they need and rarely go further than Shepherd for day to day stuff.

As I have said (many times) in other threads; I would not be urprised if they shut that part of Westiemer and make it accessable to busses, bikes, and scooters.

A midrise would probable do quite well, particularly if it had a retail on the first floor. As it currently stands, qwuite a few people in the 'Trose. Walk or ride their scooters/bikes to DK and other establishments in the areas to get what they need and rarely go further than Shepherd for day to day stuff.

As I have said (many times) in other threads; I would not be urprised if they shut that part of Westiemer and make it accessable to busses, bikes, and scooters.

I've said before (though not here) they should turn Westheimer/Elgin and Alabama into one-way streets beginning at Weslayan, with Alabama heading into town and Westheimer/Elgin heading out. It would spur further development on the underutilized Alabama and would remarkably reduce traffic jams at the less wieldy intersections. The only problem would be in redesigning Weslayan to handle the additional traffic at the split. Then we can put as many midrises in Montrose as we want.

I've said before (though not here) they should turn Westheimer/Elgin and Alabama into one-way streets beginning at Weslayan, with Alabama heading into town and Westheimer/Elgin heading out. It would spur further development on the underutilized Alabama and would remarkably reduce traffic jams at the less wieldy intersections. The only problem would be in redesigning Weslayan to handle the additional traffic at the split. Then we can put as many midrises in Montrose as we want.

Elgin currently cannot be one way over near Chenevert. The streets get all sorts of crazy the closer to 59 you get. I wouldnt have been able to get home if Elgin was one way...

Wouldn't those be fairly far apart for one ways? I don't have a particular problem with it... Widening the roads doesn't really seem to be an option (and I'd hate that for W Alabama). I wonder if there could be a similar option for Shepherd, too, as it has similar problems between Allen Parkway and 59

two problems at that intersection: (1) the traffic (which has already been mentioned), and (2) the Covenant House and halfway houses behind Kroger/Specs. The latter brings all sorts of sketchy people to that corner, and I'm not sure that a developer wants to make a huge investment with the likes of most of them hanging around.

I was told the property on southwest corner of Westheimer and Montrose was sold in 2008 but since no development has taken place, I wonder if that is still true. But to think that a developer wouldn't be interested in that property because of "sketchy" people hanging around the covenant house is perhaps naive-- otherwise how would gentrification of deteriorating neighborhoods some to pass. Developers are motivated by profit-- If that property could be developed with a huge profit-- it would happen. There are other things that puzzle me ---

I have worries of what will happen to Alabama street when Richmond is wrecked during Metro construction. --the Metro community meetings give the impression Alabama will be used as a detour--perhaps one way towards downtown (what street will be designated for the "other way?"

I also wonder how the "ideals" of the Montrose Conservancy Group will be able to "beautify" Montrose Blvd with a median, bike path and full size sidewalks--- the street seems too narrow to begin with and the thought of loosing the tree canopy to widen it seems grim.

Plus with the" charette" proposing a traffic circle at the intersection-- what will be come of Aladdins Restaurant--the only restaurant that seems to thrive on that corner?

RE: SW Corner of Montrose & Westheimer:

I understand that there is a long term lease on that property held by HEB. They are letting it sit idle to stick it to Kroger. The new owners want to do something there but their hands are tied.

Not sure if I believe it myself (Mr Butt seems to be a good citizen) but that is the rumor.

RE: SW Corner of Montrose & Westheimer:

I understand that there is a long term lease on that property held by HEB. They are letting it sit idle to stick it to Kroger. The new owners want to do something there but their hands are tied.

Not sure if I believe it myself (Mr Butt seems to be a good citizen) but that is the rumor.

How would letting it sit idle "stick it" to Kroger?

Saw a liqour license app for the old Salud! winery space (end of the 2-story yellow strip mall next to Dirk's). It is shown for "Shade Cafe & Bakery"...presumably related to Shade in the Heigts.

Does anyone have any info on this? Haven't seen anything on the Houston food blogs.

Exactly my question. That rumor really makes no sense at all.

Not sure what Flashman meant either. My only guess is that if HEB blocks development of the old Blockbuster, that SW corner will soon become a dilapidated eyesore with all sorts of riff raff milling around. And this might scare off potential Kroger customers enough to drive business away?

On my original post, I commented that the new tenants seemed to be dragging their heels on moving into the old Taco Cabana. But this weekend, I saw the new Smoothie King sign. So, at least the SE corner will be coming back to life, huh?

Not sure what Flashman meant either. My only guess is that if HEB blocks development of the old Blockbuster, that SW corner will soon become a dilapidated eyesore with all sorts of riff raff milling around. And this might scare off potential Kroger customers enough to drive business away?

On my original post, I commented that the new tenants seemed to be dragging their heels on moving into the old Taco Cabana. But this weekend, I saw the new Smoothie King sign. So, at least the SE corner will be coming back to life, huh?

What kind of life?

Nothing says Montrose like a "Smoothie King" ... or a Bagel shop...

What a waste.

The rumor was not such a good rumor, I will admit. Plus, it was not clearly enunciated above.

Kroger wanted to rent the space, and the new owners wanted HEB to let go of the lease for that reason.

They didn't.

Of course, maybe it isn't renting because nobody wants it.

• 1 month later...

Saw a liqour license app for the old Salud! winery space (end of the 2-story yellow strip mall next to Dirk's). It is shown for "Shade Cafe & Bakery"...presumably related to Shade in the Heigts.

Does anyone have any info on this? Haven't seen anything on the Houston food blogs.

I don't think it's related to Shade in the Heights but in case you're interested, the owners of Shade are opening a restaraunt called Canopy in Montrose.

http://blog.cleverley.com/2009/11/05/claire-smith-announces-new-restaurant--canopy.aspx