Montrose Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Mick

I had no idea that sidewalks where the owner's responsibility. Where I grew up it was always fixed automatically (which I thought was by the city), but I'm guessing that was done by the HOA.

Luckily my street is in pretty good shape, but most other streets I run on around Montrose are pretty bad. In a street with a torn up sidewalk the length of 20 houses, what is going to get one owner to shell out $$ when that won't make a contiguous walkable sidewalk anyways? I guess it has to start somewhere, but I don't see it happening without the city stepping in somehow. And as far as commercial goes, we rarely have a stretch without an empty lot or some owner that has no motivation to fix their sidewalks.

• Like 1

Uhhh? I know they're independent businesses.

But i was assuming that the Wendy's closed because it wasn't keeping up with the current vision for that area. That whole area is changing and it seems that since Wendy's and McDonald's  are the same type of businesses, i was wondering why both of them couldn't remain.

If Wendy's was renting from a landlord then maybe they were pushed out by rising rents. If McDonald's franchise owner owns their property then they're not paying rent and can stay as long as they want provided they pay their taxes, regardless of what's appropriate for the area. There's plenty of factors we don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this just a renovation of the old Wendy's into something new or are they doing a teardown/rebuild? 

I was doing some bar hopping on my bike on Sat and I saw some construction but I didn't look too closely. I will try to take a photo next time.

I took my girlfriend to eat in Montrose the other night, for the most part, yes, the city should be more concerned with better sidewalks. It would only enhance the area. Not saying every sidewalk in the area is terrible, but there were some small pockets where it was kind of hard to walk through. I say we make our voice be heard to city council and get something done.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I agree. And Montrose is one of the areas besides downtown where the most people are walking, so I'd say it's pretty important. However the city doesn't seem to care about sidewalks in general. :(

By the way this is the site we've been talking about.

post-3613-0-14718300-1380257861_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I think as the city continues to go through this new phase of development and growth, we will begin to see better sidewalks. It seems that after the bust back in the 80's Houston began to really neglect itself because no much was happening as far as development. Now that we see cranes across the city, I'm sure something will eventually be done due to people moving back into the city and denser neighborhoods. Either way, if we want a quicker solution to the problem, we need to let city council hear us.

I agree. And Montrose is one of the areas besides downtown where the most people are walking, so I'd say it's pretty important. However the city doesn't seem to care about sidewalks in general. :(

Property owners, not the city, are responsible for installation and maintenance of sidewalks (although  the city could do a better job of imposing/enforcing some sort of standard).

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Juan Mon's is not close! The LED palm tree and some of the signs have some sort of electrical problem so it looks really dark when it's not in operation. But I went there today and it's still delicious as ever and the owner said he's doing a lot of renovations and it will looks alive soon again at night.

• Like 1

Juan Mon's is not close! The LED palm tree and some of the signs have some sort of electrical problem so it looks really dark when it's not in operation. But I went there today and it's still delicious as ever and the owner said he's doing a lot of renovations and it will looks alive soon again at night.

......but I thought you were the owner?

• 3 months later...

According to Swamplot, Doc's Bar & Grill (former Wendy's) was supposed to open in November. However, I can't find anything on it on Yelp or whatnot. Is it cancelled, delayed, or what happened?

It still looks like the pictures in post #29 in  this thread.....http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/27053-old-wendys-off-westheimer/?hl=wendys

Edited by HoustonMidtown

• 1 month later...

Finally some movement here:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-19-14-austin-takeover-of-houston-continues-with-construction-of-new-dog-friendly-montrose-bar-and-grill/

i didn't notice anything when i drove by the site yesterday, but it was night and honestly i stopped paying attention to it since the announcement last fall...

Finally some movement here:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-19-14-austin-takeover-of-houston-continues-with-construction-of-new-dog-friendly-montrose-bar-and-grill/

i didn't notice anything when i drove by the site yesterday, but it was night and honestly i stopped paying attention to it since the announcement last fall...

Wow - about time something happened (or will happen)...

Property owners, not the city, are responsible for installation and maintenance of sidewalks (although  the city could do a better job of imposing/enforcing some sort of standard).

Of course this is correct but I wonder if this notion is also flawed--

The cost to repair or replace sidewalks is  high (perhaps because the city picks the contractor-there is the upswing of newly discussed "reduced cost" the council was talking about) when COH was laying those water lines in Avondale and tearing up sidewalks in the process one home owner asked COH to replace double wide driveway entrance (not full driveway) from street to sidewalk--$7000.

incentive to fix seems low-(in my own neighborhood it seems off site owner could care less about sidewalk conditions. Many of the new businesses that go in don't necessarily install new sidewalks--again the incentive doesn't seem to be there.

How crazy is it that Montrose makes a list of "most walkable neighborhoods" but lots and lots of sidewalks in Montrose are unwalkable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw this on news tonight

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9529308

At Blur Bar DJKitty was apparently beaten and left unconscious in her truck-- She was interviewed and remembered leaving the club but nothing else. She was hospitalized.

That type of violence at that location is scary. Isn't that the same club the guy was knifed(died) a year ago.