Montrose Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Mick

On 8/17/2017 at 7:48 AM, trymahjong said:

Moderator edit: User trymahjong created new thread entitled "Yucatán Taco closed? Is that a weirdly bad luck location?"

It seems hard for restaurants to be successful at that Montrose location.

I tried them shortly after they opened, the food was horrible and I vowed to never go back. About 1 week before they closed I decided to try them again partly because the parking lot was full so I figured they might have revamped the menu, it was as horrible as the first time I went. 

10 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Not sure how that's a bad location. That was Berryhill's forever. 

Here's a hint, if you open a tex-mex joint and your food is gross, you're not going to be in business long. 

And the Berryhill took over as the Sunday brunch location after La Strada closed(my wife said it wasn't as much fun as La Strada, though), so if the food is acceptable, a restaurant can succeed there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Evil Developer said:

i think this is one of the most terribly parked retail centers in the area in in terms of volume for uses and layout.  plus the parking spots look narrower than code.  either that, or i need to re-calibrate my eyeball tape measure.

I think they are narrow. There have been times when I passed on going to Einsteins because of the parking.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

That place sucked anyways. The food was terrible and beer selection was even worse. What I hated most about the place was it had such a strong Austin vibe yet it tried so hard to cater to Houston and it just didn't feel like a Houston spot. 

Man I actually thought the food was good especially considering it’s a bar.  I liked the fact that it was an actual sports bar.   Not a lot of those in montrose. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 10:08 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

Man I actually thought the food was good especially considering it’s a bar.  I liked the fact that it was an actual sports bar.   Not a lot of those in montrose. 

I def have to disagree. The food was average at best. And for a sports bar, Griffs (Grifs?) is the place to be in Montrose. Everytime I went to watch a Houston sports team that place seemed out of touch with what people wanted to see. One example is how all the TV's were on the Longhorn Network when a Texans game was on. That type of stuff. And you can't come close to comparing a solid sports bar like Christian's Tailgate to that place.

20 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I def have to disagree. The food was average at best. And for a sports bar, Griffs (Grifs?) is the place to be in Montrose. Everytime I went to watch a Houston sports team that place seemed out of touch with what people wanted to see. One example is how all the TV's were on the Longhorn Network when a Texans game was on. That type of stuff. And you can't come close to comparing a solid sports bar like Christian's Tailgate to that place.

I get what you mean, it’s al about the staff. The Christians Tailgate in DT is a classic example, it’s a wonderful space but the staff is HORRIBLE 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, swtsig said:

Anvil is taking over... don't know if that means they are keeping the existing structure or what but the landlord elected to lease to anvil & co. instead of renewing etro

Wow. How do you know? Any clue what they're going to do with the extra space? Just throw in a bunch more seating?

On 6/26/2018 at 8:13 PM, ArtieFufkin said:

Wow. How do you know? Any clue what they're going to do with the extra space? Just throw in a bunch more seating?

Bobby Heugel just posted about it on facebook (editing out some here, it's a nice, genuine, lengthy post):

The landlord at 1424 Westheimer offered us the Etro space this year for reasons that were his own. We decided to accept both to protect our interests at Anvil and because this was an opportunity we couldn’t pass up. Following our landlord’s decision and our recent lease extension, it was the right choice for me as a business owner and someone that cares tremendously about protecting the livelihoods of all of the staff that depend on me at Anvil. That said, I am going to miss Etro tremendously and know that this type of transition is not easy for any business

As for our plans for the new space, I have no comment. It would be inappropriate to step on someone’s last days in their space by trying to promote our future plans. And truth be told, I have no firm ideas as I have not had the opportunity to view the space as a tenant. One thing is for sure, however, Anvil will not be expanding. I love that bar just the way it is, and whatever we do will be done to make sure that Anvil’s identity and consistency is not disrupted in any manner.

Anyway, it would mean a lot to me if you would consider visiting Etro over the next month and showing them your support and then also doing so after their move. That bar is reflective of the good people that own and work at it, and we wouldn’t be where we are today at Anvil without them.

There will always be a little bit of Etro in Anvil.

Edited by corbs315
assigning quote to someone else

Very classy move by Heugel. 

I'm very interested to see what happens to that space.  Even though Westheimer has become an incredible restaurant row, I love the hipster pockets that maintain the "alternative" roots of Montrose.  I hope this becomes another dance club, hooka lounge, tattoo parlor, etc and not a wine bar or restaurant.  

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
13 hours ago, hindesky said:

Wings is out and moving in with Jus Mac at 106 Westheimer, seems like this site is cursed or the right restaurant hasn't opened. I still think a coffee and desert place might do good.

cc8lXGK.jpg

Has good reviews but they were overpriced and underserving guest. Place was always empty....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I mean yeah EVERY single time i went by there, there was maybe one car if that and it was more than likely someone's car that worked there...

I wish i had a good idea as to what this should be and what would work and hate to say it (and can't believe i am...) but maybe it is time to just knock the building and gate down and finally have a decent size parking lot for AvantGarden as that is THE biggest mess I have ever seen....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...