Midtown Retail Development

hokieone

I knew it!!

Me and my girlfriend went to Van Loc last night since we didn't know what their last day was. I kept telling her there's no way this place was closing due to poor business because I've been there so many times and it's been packed. I said they had to have sold to a developer who was going to turn it into apartments. Even though that part was wrong, glad to see a nice new development head our way.

Triton, I go there all the time.

And I told my roommate, less than a week ago, that this had a limited life because the area was exploding around it. The lot they have is pretty great. And, what do you know? Just a couple days later... This.

• Like 1

i wonder how long before the surrounding plots get redeveloped. this looks great, it just seems like the GFR might be a little slow until it gets some better neighbors.

Pearl is building a apartment building directly across the street plus their two other buildings to the SW of this site. One completed and the other planned where the social security office use to be. Also the Camden complex to the NE. I think the GFR will do well.

• Like 1

Nice façade treatment, and good to see what appears to be GFR.

Is it city requirements that make the parking garages for these so big (same with the Mid Main office building), or is it that developers want extra parking for retail patrons, or do you just need that much parking for such a small building?

You're right.  It's not bad-looking, but the parking block seems a bit overwhelming for the size of the building.  Even though it looks like it, I'm sure the garage won't be glassed in.

I was an early skeptic, but I'm amazed at the transformation of Midtown. 

You're right.  It's not bad-looking, but the parking block seems a bit overwhelming for the size of the building.  Even though it looks like it, I'm sure the garage won't be glassed in.

It does look like it's glassed in. I know renderings are no guarantee but it looks like they gave an inch of thought into the overall design so hopefully it won't be exposed.

You are right to be skeptical, but I assume it's to have enough parking for the retail requirement and not just the offices above. It would be nice if it could have gotten some leniency for being near the light rail....but I guess we still aren't at that point yet -.-

• Like 1

^It is possible the developer wanted the number of spaces, and not the city?  Could be wrong?

I like it - its simple and clean and a new looking design for Midtown.

It's not bad. It is certainly better than what we are seeing going up near Match. That's why I was so confused at first! It definitely is very sleek and clean almost matching the sort of "clean slat" persona that Midtown is taking on as it rapidly gentrifies.

Btw, is that Low-E glass I'm seeing on here? Why is the glass so green lol ? Maybe it's just the rendering, but maybe we are looking at a building pursing LEED certification? Just throwing that out there.

thats 3 rather large office buildings rather large for Midtown Houston (including Central square) under development/construction

I'm curious if this area is developing into a lower priced office market next to downtown. Either way, with the influx of people living & and working in midtown; it should increase pedestrian traffic in the area and increase the walk ability of the area. 

The fact that it needs that absurd amount of parking for just that one building!!! means we aren't even close to the walk ability you are mentioning, BUT it is a very good start :) Bringing more businesses to the area will at least make the area a tad less barren. Most of the development during this go around is mostly just infill and simply to fill existing holes where there is nothing there. The real change will come maybe 5-10 years from now when the next cycle will have more developments aimed at more what you and most of us would like midtown to be. Just getting people living/working in this area though is the first step. More sophisticated development comes later (this is actually many areas of Houston in general).

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

Yeah, I imagine the parking requirements are based off of, 'cheaper' land than downtown and the developer doesn't expect most of the employees to walk there--- which is similar to downtown where most are coming in from elsewhere. This is relatively close to the light rail station as well. I used to live at the Camden Travis; easily walking distance. I think it would be interesting to see the utilization of parking for this development and the other midrise in midtown and see if future office developers alter their strategies. 

I think the other think that would be interesting, is if this complex would charge for parking for non-reserved people. Quite commonly I would see people park at the midtown superblock and take the train into reliant or towards downtown. 

The fact that it needs that absurd amount of parking for just that one building!!! means we aren't even close to the walk ability you are mentioning, BUT it is a very good start :) Bringing more businesses to the area will at least make the area a tad less barren. Most of the development during this go around is mostly just infill and simply to fill existing holes where there is nothing there. The real change will come maybe 5-10 years from now when the next cycle will have more developments aimed at more what you and most of us would like midtown to be. Just getting people living/working in this area though is the first step. More sophisticated development comes later (this is actually many areas of Houston in general).

well yeah.. how many people have access/ride METROrail..? 40k? how many people live in Midtown? no idea.. 10k? point being. the population isnt there yet. as of right now, for the office developments, many workers will have to commute in from somewhere in the city thats not connected by rail. it will be interesting to see what happens to the space in the future when the population gets there and all the parking isnt necessary anymore.

well yeah.. how many people have access/ride METROrail..? 40k? how many people live in Midtown? no idea.. 10k? point being. the population isnt there yet. as of right now, for the office developments, many workers will have to commute in from somewhere in the city thats not connected by rail. it will be interesting to see what happens to the space in the future when the population gets there and all the parking isnt necessary anymore.

in August 2014 it was about 44,000 people per weekday, an 11.7 percent increase from last year. 

http://www.ridemetro.org/News/Documents/pdfs/Ridership%20Reports/2014/0814_Ridership_Report_FY14.pdf

page 18

And a few months ago I started to put together a spreadsheet from census results for inner loop houston, I havent finished it but here's the link

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yb0ikorR9cz-iIdfLkwNHbv8uWP4319VpG_5UgFA2XM/edit#gid=0

Midtown's population is around 20,000, but the census tracts overlap some with montrose and neartown, so that number is probably overstating the actual population of Midtown, In 2000, the same census tracts were around 17000

Edited by Purdueenginerd

Even more interesting is that according to the poster on Reddit, who confirms that it will be 16 story building with office and retail, also states that the developer is trying to get his office to move into the building so that the developer can purchase that block for another similar building. So that's another potential high rise for Midtown.

i'd really like to see the Midtown TIRZ/district, perhaps the city to try and turn this part of Midtown into a tech hub, especially health care tech. there's obviously been a huge push from TMC to ramp up activity on more commercial aspects of the health care industry locally and Midtown is in a prime location to lure those types of companies. it's the most transist oreinted and pedestrian friendly part of town, it's directly between both TMC and the financial center of Houston (CBD) and Rice which has a huge incubator program, and the area is swimming with young professionals.... it makes too much sense not to take advantage.

• Like 8

i'd really like to see the Midtown TIRZ/district, perhaps the city to try and turn this part of Midtown into a tech hub, especially health care tech. there's obviously been a huge push from TMC to ramp up activity on more commercial aspects of the health care industry locally and Midtown is in a prime location to lure those types of companies. it's the most transist oreinted and pedestrian friendly part of town, it's directly between both TMC and the financial center of Houston (CBD) and Rice which has a huge incubator program, and the area is swimming with young professionals.... it makes too much sense not to take advantage.

Wow, I like your vision.. Midtown, a high tech hub!

i'd really like to see the Midtown TIRZ/district, perhaps the city to try and turn this part of Midtown into a tech hub, especially health care tech. there's obviously been a huge push from TMC to ramp up activity on more commercial aspects of the health care industry locally and Midtown is in a prime location to lure those types of companies. it's the most transist oreinted and pedestrian friendly part of town, it's directly between both TMC and the financial center of Houston (CBD) and Rice which has a huge incubator program, and the area is swimming with young professionals.... it makes too much sense not to take advantage.

Maybe something like this?

I think Swtsig wants to see more.  Houston Technology Center is great and has spawned a lot of new companies over the years (many of which LEFT town for greener tech pastures).  Keeping the majority of those tech companies would be great.

I'd love to see the Houston Endowment (or other philantropic orgs) give some millions to the Houston Tech Center to build another building that focuses on bio-tech/nano-tech and draw Rice into its umbrella.  Why not?  Perhaps one of these new office buildings would better suit them for expanded growth - this one or the other?  Could be the start of something big.

Maybe the developers know something we don't?  Hopefully so.

Edited by arche_757

Not in Midtown, but nearby we also have this:

Texas Medical Center Life Sciences Accelerator

And Houston Technology Center already works very closely with Rice University.   If you asked them (either HTC or Rice) what they need most, I doubt it's another building.  What the Houston technology startup world probably needs most is local investors in the startups.

Yes, but *how* involved is Rice?  Working "closely" with some one or some organization is often a misrepresentation.  I mean - if Rice had a goal of driving the Houston tech scene, they could.  HTC must have a few professors tied into their organization, but I truly wonder how important it is to the Rice heirarchy to support this more than just a little?

What I'd like to see:  HTC morphs into what the UH Energy Research Park is becoming.  Something truly serving as a catalyst for the area.  Yes, we have a lot more energy companies than tech firms, but why not see if Rice (and/or UH too) could push the HTC into a larger role?

And while I agree we don't need another building for the HTC (there are two now if memory serves me right), I'd love to see a need for additional buildings nearby that feed off of and with the HTC to grow that sector.

And the *new* Medical Center Accelerator is... well... new!  How many years ago did we hear about Texas Biomedical Park?  I realize a few of those buildings sorta happened south of TMC, but not to the level and size of what we should have given our clout and size in the medical world.  Compared to Boston its really sad actually.

Edited by arche_757