Midtown Retail Development

hokieone

4 hours ago, wilcal said:

First, it appears that the block of Rosalie along High Fashion Home is already abandoned. 

How so? I ride it almost daily (or did, until the WF closure) and it's always felt pretty open to me. Certainly plenty of cars use it.

* One: Rosalie street is only about 43', so when they replat this they would actually be required to contribute 7 more feet to the street.

What?!!! That is absurdly wide for a minor side street. How can we bring back <20ft streets? They are the best.

* Two: Streets trigger building setbacks (note: this is in a Walkable Place area, which makes things complicated, but still)

Can somebody explain how the whole Walkable Places thing works to me? Because it increasingly sounds like a non-policy.

* Three: they are showing some buildings on Rosalie. Can't do that without acquiring it.  

This part makes sense.

And again, I'm totally for pedestrian streets and not against this abandonment/privatization. I guess I just wonder why there are so few public pedestrian streets in the city. I feel like they tend to be more reliably successful (think Church St. in Burlington, VT or Pearl St. in Boulder, CO) than the private ones, which tend to feel a bit more mall-ish. 

9 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Because there's a street that you can drive right through the development they're planning. I think they're trying to work with what they got and its a lot better than whats currently there. They're removing the parking lot at 3100 Travis St and replacing it with a little park/ outdoor area. They're also putting in a new building behind 3101 Louisiana St, which removes even more parking. So in between 3101 Louisiana, 3010 Milam, and the planned building there is a street. Removing it and making it a pedestrian street makes sooo much sense. This way, all 3 of those buildings can be accessible without crossing a street, making it a little less car centric. It dedicates a space thats only for pedestrians, that would obviously be a win-win no matter what.

In addition to what @Amlaham posted, the outdoor plaza at 3100 Travis St (site of High Fashion Homes) is possibly one part of what may be in store for the property. Developers are also proposing major renovations to the first and second floors to make way for a food hall and entertainment venue.

I probably should have posted that to this thread as well since it's proposed for this development. However, there's more about it in the 3100 Travis St topic. In that topic, is a closer view of the site plan for the outdoor plaza.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/2722-high-fashion-home-at-3100-travis-st/?do=findComment&comment=687789

On 9/11/2023 at 12:56 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I asked around and there is a food hall in planning for 3100 Travis St. Apparently, it will be two levels.

The food hall will feature somewhere between 15 to 25 food stalls. There will also be several bars situated throughout.

There will be space for visitors to play games and other activities. Some activities include simulated golf and karaoke rooms. 

I don't know the name of the food hall or the operators involved. Perhaps more details will be revealed soon.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

@Urbannizer @Triton maybe this should be moved out of going up since this won't be the grand scale, ground up buildout previously expected?

While there will be one new building going up (it's not a high rise or a mid-rise), the marketing video indicates this will be an adaptive reuse retail development.

👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿 

22 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

In the video is an overview of the latest plans for the development. The video indicates it's an adaptive reuse retail development. There are also models of a proposed building and renovations for existing buildings.

As noted previously, the forthcoming development includes the following properties:

• 3101 Louisiana St
  • 3100 Travis St
  • 3010 Milam St

Oxberry Group is the developer of this project. However, The Kirby Group may have joined forced with Oxberry Group. Kirby Group is listed in the video description for the Midtown development.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/851651703

Latest details pertaining to the development are below. The details are from the video.

• Oxberry / The Kirby Group Midtown Development 

• Adaptive Reuse Retail Development 

• Hospitality | New Development

• 3101 Louisiana St, 3100 Travis St, and 3010 Milam St

• 3.5 City Blocks 

• Parcel Size: 3.72 acres 

• Project Size: 35,000 sf

• Number of Buildings: 4

• Rentable Area: 155,000 sf

• Main Street Facing: Elgin St 

• Secondary Street Facing: Milam St

• New private pedestrian street 

• Complete exterior building renovation and landscaping

• Complete parking renovation 

• New 6,800 SF standalone building

• New outdoor multi-purpose space at 3100 Travis St

• 5,000 sf second generation coffee shop / restaurant at 3010 Milam St

• Renovated 25,000 sf building

• 120,000 sf at 3100 Travis St; 4 stories

l9pw8WX.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Oxberry Midtown Retail Development
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/18/2023 at 5:56 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

When I can, I'll post the proposed plans for the food hall.

Somehow, I accidentally deleted the plans for the proposed food hall at 3100 Travis St. I was able to recover the files, but I couldn't view them. The recovery program I used claimed the files were corrupt. I tried to fix them but was unsuccessful.

I should have saved them to my external hard drive. Lesson learned. 

Anyway, I'll try my best to remember what I can and post below. If any of you saw the plans or have further insight, feel free to add on.

•  The food hall will occupy the first and second floors of 3100 Travis St. High Fashion Home will occupy the other floors, according the site and floor plans.

• The site plan showed wither 20 or 25 food stalls

• Several bars were situated throughout the first and second floors. I think there may have been a coffee bar too.

• The plan showed designated lounge area near the center of each floor.

• There were about five or six game areas in the middle of each floor. I recall seeing labels for large connect four, board games, arcade or pinball, and cornhole. There were more, but that's all I can remember. 

• I think on the second floor, there was a space labeled for an event stage. It was situated near the center of the room.

• There were private rooms located towards the back on the first and second floors

• There was either one or two designated karaoke rooms

• There were rooms labeled for Topgolf Swing suites near the private rooms 

• I think I recall seeing a label for an elevator leading to a rooftop space. 

There are more details, but I can't recall much else. 

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Midtown Retail Development
  • 1 month later...

High Fashion Fabrics, a Houston staple that has supplied fabrics to the community for 42 years, announced it is closing May 31.

The store will have a sale that lasts through the end of its run. It is currently at 25% off everything and 50% off an entire bolt.

The announcement of the store closing comes less than a month after the craft and fabric chain Joann announced it was filing for bankruptcy.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/trending/article/high-fashion-fabrics-closing-19381660.php

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

High Fashion Fabrics, a Houston staple that has supplied fabrics to the community for 42 years, announced it is closing May 31.

The store will have a sale that lasts through the end of its run. It is currently at 25% off everything and 50% off an entire bolt.

The announcement of the store closing comes less than a month after the craft and fabric chain Joann announced it was filing for bankruptcy.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/trending/article/high-fashion-fabrics-closing-19381660.php

Guessing this will be developed. They own the dirt I believe, which has to be more valuable than the operation at this point. 

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

@hindesky wrong building and topic. The article pertains to High Fashion Fabrics at 3101 Louisiana St. This topic is for 3100 Travis St where High Fashion Home is located.

Those are two different businesses (though same company) on two properties. Granted, both properties are slated for the proposed multi-block development from Oxberry Group and The Kirby Group.

Here is the topic for the building at 3101 Louisiana St mentioned in the article:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/topic/27553-midtown-retail-development/

Looks like the topic for High Fashion Home was merged with the topic for 3100 Travis AFTER I posted this. Thanks @Highrise Tower once again for merging topics WITHOUT informing members you've merged topics together (you know, like how you take it upon yourself to unnecessarily change everyone's titles seconds after they created a topic.) At least the other moderators notifies the forum when a major change like that has been made. It would be nice if you did the same. @Urbannizer @Triton

Months after Ola's closure comes another closure: High Fashion Fabrics at 3101 Louisiana St.

Here's the article published today announcing the closure. The post was shared in another topic:

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

As previously noted, the may be an adaptive reuse retail development. The development includes the following properties:

• 3101 Louisiana St
  • 3100 Travis St
  • 3010 Milam St

Oxberry Group is the developer of this project. However, The Kirby Group may have joined forced with Oxberry Group. Kirby Group is listed in the video description for the Midtown development. The two developers also partnered for the Montrose area mixed-use development Harlow District.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2024 at 5:20 PM, wilcal said:

Plat submitted:

rxqYlj0.png

13 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Thanks for sharing the Levan Real Estate Reserve 2 plat, @wilcal.

The plat is for 3101 Louisiana St, 3010 Milam St, and 3000 Milam St.

Map with the aforementioned parcels outlined:

ExNnFwK.jpeg

The proposed Levan Real Estate Reserve 2 subdivision plat is for a portion of the speculated development from Oxberry Group and The Kirby Group.

Below are posts pertaining to plans if the plat receives approval:

On 9/11/2023 at 2:08 PM, Paco Jones said:

Construction services are currently being sought for civil work related to the proposed abandonment of Rosalie Street between Louisiana and Milam.  I don't know what the plans are for the future development yet. 

On 10/9/2023 at 1:34 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The video indicates this will likely be an adaptive reuse retail development. The development includes the following properties:

• 3101 Louisiana St
  • 3100 Travis St
  • 3010 Milam St

Oxberry Group is the developer of this project. However, The Kirby Group may have joined forced with Oxberry Group. Kirby Group is listed in the video description for the Midtown development. The two developers also partnered for the Montrose area mixed-use development Harlow District.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/851651703

ENowiaM.jpg

WXQA741.jpg

• Like 2