Midtown Retail Development

hokieone

7 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Census Bureau this morning released 2021 population estimates for cities.

New York City:  8,467,513, a net loss of  305,465 (3.48%) in one year. 

I went through all the top cities on the list. If I am to believe the estimates, Houston and Dallas lost population, as did many other cities, while San Antonio and Fort Worth had gains of 10,000. Almost every other large American city appears to have lost population. I would not be surprised if the 2022 estimates show these people miraculously reappearing...

• Like 3

Articles are behind paywalls but it appears Forth Worth and San Antonio may have annexed land recently. Cities can increase population by adding land, while losing residents in the original city limits and still have net positive increases. Sun belt cities do this much more frequently than NE, West coast and MW cities. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 2nd Floor View From High Fashion Store
  • 4 weeks later...

I worked at Adcetera across the street for 4 years when the original Mix phase 2 was planned to go up and never did. I'm so happy to see this entire chunk of land up for development. This has the potential to be a real catalyst for the area considering the success of The Mix. I do think The Mix needs to update their parking garage because that thing is looking a little rough but the Louisiana side is pretty nice. I'm expecting something really grand for the area, similar to the expectations for the lot on Westheimer and Montrose. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I worked at Adcetera across the street for 4 years when the original Mix phase 2 was planned to go up and never did. I'm so happy to see this entire chunk of land up for development. This has the potential to be a real catalyst for the area considering the success of The Mix. I do think The Mix needs to update their parking garage because that thing is looking a little rough but the Louisiana side is pretty nice. I'm expecting something really grand for the area, similar to the expectations for the lot on Westheimer and Montrose. 

Man everytime I go to that parking garage 🤦🏽‍♂️

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 9:28 PM, hindesky said:

Asked the guy in the dark clothes what they were building, he said a restaurant, I asked what kind, and he said it might be called "Hola"

BXrVJJq.jpg

On 2/9/2020 at 3:26 PM, hindesky said:

O6oZY3z.jpg

On 2/29/2020 at 7:26 PM, hindesky said:

The second page of the permits finally shifted, the occupant name is going to be "Ola H.......". Problem with stucco it shows all the imperfections on a building.

Oycrg1I.jpg

T8h9mzG.jpg

On 4/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, hindesky said:

The gravel parking lot for "Ola H......" has been paved.

Q8bMH5I.jpg

On 4/25/2020 at 2:05 PM, hindesky said:

Drive Thru Menu board.

5wpXtY0.jpg

3YkDsT7.jpg

On 4/9/2021 at 12:18 AM, Squirrel said:

Interesting, the brand new restaurant and parking lot still hasn't opened. Would they just demo it to start this or has this been scrapped/held off for a few years. Seems like a waste after spending all that money on the restaurant and paving the lot, even though they restaurant kind of looks like it's made of cardboard. 

On 5/26/2022 at 10:43 AM, phillip_white said:

I walked by yesterday and peeked inside. Looks like they were close to finishing...

20220524_194747

20220524_194740

Ola may be opening soon at 3010 Milam St.

The restaurant finally launched its website and Instagram. I think their Facebook page has been up  for a few years.

Ola means only love allowed. Looking at their website, it seems this is health-conscious eatery that will offer vegetarian and/or vegan-friendly items. Their Instagram bio reads: "fresh, flavorful food lovingly made from scratch." 

https://www.olaland.com/

https://www.instagram.com/olahtx/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, tigereye said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think this is the same development. 

This is the Mix. Where Artisans is located is called the Mix @ Midtown (3201 Louisiana). Two different developments, if I'm not mistaken (or at least, according to several other posters in this topic).

Here's a visual outlining where this development is located, which isn't the Mix @ Midtown at 3201 Louisiana:

On 4/7/2021 at 4:26 AM, Urbannizer said:

Looks like plans called for this to start October 2020. 

Linked below is the topic for the Mix @ Midtown , the development at 3201 Louisiana (it would help if mods modified the title to add the correct name for that mixed-use, maybe it would cut down on some of the confusion (I was confused by this too)). The news about Artisans is posted there since it's about the Mix @ Midtown, the mixed-use at 3201 Louisiana:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

This is the Mix. Where Artisans is located is called the Mix @ Midtown (3201 Louisiana). Two different developments, if I'm not mistaken (or at least, according to several other posters in this topic).

Here's a visual outlining where this development is located, which isn't the Mix @ Midtown at 3201 Louisiana:

Linked below is the topic for the Mix @ Midtown , the development at 3201 Louisiana (it would help if mods modified the title to add the correct name for that mixed-use, maybe it would cut down on some of the confusion (I was confused by this too)). The news about Artisans is posted there since it's about the Mix @ Midtown, the mixed-use at 3201 Louisiana:

God seeing those original plans for The Mix get turned into a drive-thru is really hurting my soul.

13 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

The Mix never got built (except for Pearl at The Mix on Travis, disjointed from the other two Pearls on Elgin). Both Mix sites are across Elgin from each other. Like one big project with 2 phases. Would’ve been nice if built. 

• Like 2

On 1/24/2011 at 3:29 PM, ttuchris said:

What did the 3100 Travis Building use to be? It is really cool inside and out.

I'm resurrecting this decade-old thread because I came across a recent picture I took of 3100 Travis, and have the same question:

2AD8A317-6441-4B2E-A7ED-AABDA4545B52_1_201_a.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for clearing that up, @mkultra25

Love the line "....a measure of design desperation over how to cope with windowlessness, an anxiety perhaps shared by the occupants"
Having worked in a windowless building, I feel confident that the anxiety was shared. It was modified during the energy crisis circa 1980, and had insulation five feet thick.
Everyone had a pounding headache by the end of the day: I heard later that it was declared a 'sick' building and all that insulation was emitting toxic vapors.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2022 at 11:15 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Ola may be opening soon at 3010 Milam St.

The restaurant finally launched its website and Instagram. I think their Facebook page has been up  for a few years.

Ola means only love allowed. Looking at their website, it seems this is health-conscious eatery that will offer vegetarian and/or vegan-friendly items. Their Instagram bio reads: "fresh, flavorful food lovingly made from scratch." 

https://www.olaland.com/
https://www.instagram.com/olahtx/

Window coverings are down. Looks close to opening.

20221210_200734

Edited by phillip_white
  • Like 7

On 12/11/2022 at 4:03 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The Google Maps listing for Ola has December 20 as the opening date. Hopefully, it will open later this month.

Ola is a health-conscious restaurant. It's located in Midtown at 3010 Milam St. 

Latest estimated opening for Ola is January. The opening date was updated recently on the business' Google Map listing.

Ola is a health-conscious restaurant located at 3010 Milam St.

doBfkck.jpg

• The title was changed to The Mix: Mixed-Use Development Planned For Two Blocks In Midtown
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 4:25 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Latest estimated opening for Ola is January. The opening date was updated recently on the business' Google Map listing.

Ola is a health-conscious restaurant located at 3010 Milam St.

doBfkck.jpg

Ola opens next week according to the employees out front tonight. 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...