Midtown Retail Development

hokieone

This will not be a low rise retail development. Htxjack did say the person who called back from the city said it'll be "a little bit of everything" and it clearly states mixed-use in the MMD meeting minutes.

Edit: I remember Crosspoint Properties originally proposed The Mix as more than just a three story building. A high-rise and lots of retail was planned as well but was nixed-likely due to the 08 recession. Also of note, the Pearl mid-rises by The Morgan Group carry "the mix" moniker. 

08' Chron article:

http://m.chron.com/business/sarnoff/article/Midtown-revitalization-draws-retail-development-1610517.php

One of Midtown's largest landholders has revealed plans for a nearly five-block real estate development around the intersection of Elgin and Louisiana.

The Mix high-rise:

2nbx2wz.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

I interpreted the article to mean that Sprouts, iPic, et al were tenants Ms. Starry previously represented, not necessarily those who would be included in the proposed development.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong, I’d be *thrilled* to see an iPic in Midtown. 

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mollusk said:

They couldn't come up with a newer picture of downtown from the south?  Based on the lack of One Park Place, this one's at least ten years old.

The renderings are of the original proposal, which dates back to 2008.

• Like 1

As duly noted in your earlier post.

image.png.b0ddab739176306525918a18e7f61338.png

It's amazing a) how much older construction had been scraped off by then with nothing on the radar to replace it, and b) how much new construction has taken place in the last decade.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Interesting. Density begets density. 

Target’s not a particularly sexy retail tenant, but these types of stores are necessary to promote a fully walkable neighborhood. I remember treks on foot to an underground Bed, Bath, and Beyond across from the Lincoln Center in undergrad.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Interesting. Density begets density. 

Target’s not a particularly sexy retail tenant, but these types of stores are necessary to promote a fully walkable neighborhood. I remember treks on foot to an underground Bed, Bath, and Beyond across from the Lincoln Center in undergrad.

Actually, outside of Houston, Target has many many urban style stores. Glad to see we are finally getting one here. Last multi-story Target I visited was in Vienna, Virginia:

(not my picture)

Image result for target vienna va

Another interesting one is at Penn State also:

A far-off shot of the tall building with Target store on the bottom floor

• Like 8

At least a CityTarget would be great! This is greatly needed in Midtown. The nearest discount dept store is the Target or Walmart in the Heights. It’s a little annoying having to drive 2 miles away to get everyday needs. With the new Whole Foods in Midtown, I am hoping we start to see more of these “everyday” retail markets that are truely walkable, even if they aren’t considered “sexy”. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Triton said:

Actually, outside of Houston, Target has many many urban style stores. Glad to see we are finally getting one here. Last multi-story Target I visited was in Vienna, Virginia:

(not my picture)

Another interesting one is at Penn State also:

A far-off shot of the tall building with Target store on the bottom floor

I've actually been to that Target in Vienna! It would be amazing if we got a Target in Midtown that looked as spiffy as that one.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ajgallion said:

At least a CityTarget would be great! This is greatly needed in Midtown. The nearest discount dept store is the Target or Walmart in the Heights. It’s a little annoying having to drive 2 miles away to get everyday needs. With the new Whole Foods in Midtown, I am hoping we start to see more of these “everyday” retail markets that are truely walkable, even if they aren’t considered “sexy”. 

I know it's more scary than the Walmart in the Heights. the one on Wayside might be a little farther, but it is much easier to get to.

I know the SO will be excited about Target opening a store in midtown. the Midtown Sears no one remembered was there was never really a great option for this kind of store.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Triton said:

(not my picture)

I've been in that Target a few times already. Nice, but it's a pain to get up to the floor where it starts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

This rendering looks very conceptual. If they actually had a lease with Target, I think it would be more prominently rendered. I think early renderings of 609 Main showed an Apple store on the ground floor. Let's not uncork the wine bottles yet.

i think the phrase "beginning phase of developing" implies they're still in the conceptual phase.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, hindesky said:

To me these appear to be concrete stanchions for parking lot lighting. Hopefully only temporary.

MkTIRet.jpg

I mean we saw the same thing happen with the Texas Tower. Sucks it has to be this way, but parking is a good quick flip on the property until you start something.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1