Midtown Retail Development

hokieone

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming the residential portion is going to be around 30-32 stories (if they're split among the 2 blocks, and going off drewery place square footage), while the office portion might be in the 25-30 story range? Also, that's a pretty sizeable amount of retail, so it might take up add a couple floors to the development. I don't know what I'm talking about, so this is just pure speculation. 

Anyway, Midtown just keep getting better, and better. Hope this comes to fruition, it would add so much more to the neighborhood. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 2

On 4/3/2019 at 8:20 AM, samagon said:

I know it's more scary than the Walmart in the Heights. the one on Wayside might be a little farther, but it is much easier to get to.

I know the SO will be excited about Target opening a store in midtown. the Midtown Sears no one remembered was there was never really a great option for this kind of store.

What's "scary" about the Wayside Walmart? (seriously)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swtsig said:

chase is only 1.65m sf

currently designed, this project will span both blocks with a common amenity deck. Office about 15 stories and mf about 30-35. i'm sure that's subject to change, though.

Now I know it's Wikipedia but is this article wrong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPMorgan_Chase_Tower_(Houston)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Triton said:

Interesting... Wonder how they got that number then....maybe including the nearby parking garage?

The way Wikipedia worded it was "The JPMorgan Chase Tower, formerly Texas Commerce Tower, is a 305.4-meter (1,002-foot), 2,243,013-square-foot (208,382.7 m2),[3] 75-story skyscraper at 600 Travis Street in Downtown Houston, Texas, United States."

Sounds about right for Wikipedia.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swtsig said:

chase is only 1.65m sf

currently designed, this project will span both blocks with a common amenity deck. Office about 15 stories and mf about 30-35. i'm sure that's subject to change, though.

Common amenity deck, straddling the road like Greenstreet and Houston Center?

19 hours ago, quietstorm said:

What's "scary" about the Wayside Walmart? (seriously)

absolutely nothing, but I assume if someone chooses to drive to target/walmart in Heights, and skip the walmart on wayside (which is much easier to access from midtown), fear must be a reason for not going? not knowing it is there might be another, but fear is the likely cause.

45 minutes ago, Texasota said:

I'd also wonder how many people view Target and Walmart interchangeably. I would personally bypass Walmart to go to Target, event if it's a longer drive/ride.

people actually do view Target and Walmart differently. You definitely notice when you go to anything related to home decor. Target is a cheap option like Walmart, but is of better quality. Walmart is set up like your anything store while Target is set up like a true department start. In my opinion the experience is a night and day difference. I go to Walmart if I need whatever, but I go to target for something more specific.

• Like 3

Anecdotally my wife and I both distinguish between target and walmart. In my opinion, especially when I was younger an had less money, Target's clothing department was superior to walmart in fashion and quality. Granted its probably been like 10 years since I'e bought Any clothing there. I prefer target for other reasons.

Only time I ever really go to Walmart is if I'm out of town and forgot to pack something I need. 

• Like 4

I tend to like Target for inexpensive home décor or accessories. Like if I need some placemats or soap dispensers, a new doormat, or even something like a broom, I think that Target does a good job of finding things that look good.

If I just need something cheap that I know Walmart will have, I go there. Something like a ShopVac is probably $20 cheaper at Walmart, or a cooler, or if I want to go crazy on Christmas lights, I will save substantial $ at Walmart. Their automotive stuff costs way less than an auto parts store, and they have surprisingly good camping supplies for a fraction of Academy or REI. Wouldn't buy a tent or a backpack there, but pretty much anything else. My Ozark Trail flashlight cost about as much as batteries do for my old Surefire light and it's 90% as bright and goes about 2 years on a battery change vs. about 2 weeks with Surefire. Not a hard decision.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Texasota said:

You can't rummage through clearance endcaps on a website.

Yeah the idea that the internet is going to kill all retail is a misnomer. Everything at some point regresses to the mean. There are trade offs to both real life and virtual stores. There times when I see something and I'm fine waiting for it, but then there are times I need something right now! Its easy to find something of quantity and low price online, but its harder to distinguish and find something of quality online and at the right price. Things that are further away from reach or I won't touch everyday I'm fine getting online, but things I will hold everyday or wear or touch its better to go to a store, at least to see what it might be like.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...