Midtown Retail Development

hokieone

Rice Alliance for Technology & Entrepreneurship is.... well.... kind of what I figured.  Not bad mouthing it, its more of a competition between any one and everyone.  At least that's the take I got from reading their "about" section on the webpage.

If this continues to grow in scope and scale that would be great!  I hope it does.

I think you and I both agree that we need to be able to keep a lot of these types of companies here in town.

Agreed.  And I think a lot more is being done by Rice, UH, HTC and others than you are apparently aware of.  (and the number 1 thing that would help keep these companies in town is, as I alluded to earlier, more local angel and seed investors, not another building).

Edited by Houston19514

Agreed.  And I think a lot more is being done by Rice, UH, HTC and others than you are apparently aware of.  (and the number 1 thing that would help keep these companies in town is, as I alluded to earlier, more local angel and seed investors).

Just found a list of Texas Business Incubators.

Austin - 22

Houston - 18

Dallas/FW - 21

If you took away Rice's 4 incubators then we're sorely lacking.  Particularly when you consider the number of people and the number of major coprorations that are located here.  The big problem however, is that energy doesn't seem to have the desire to 'incubate" businesses the way tech firms do.

When I think of the size of Houston + business capital + two major research universities + largest collection of medical facilities in one single place in the world - and I'm left with a sour taste in my mouth that we're way behind what/where we ought to be at this time in this arena.

Hopefully we will continue to see additional investment in this area.

Why would you take away Rice's 4?     And FWIW,  a simple count of the number of accelerators really tells us little and is far from dispositive as to the relative strengths of the accelerator communities.

Agree we're clearly behind where we should be in the medical area.  But we are making great strides in that area. 

Edited by Houston19514

Why would you take away Rice's 4?     And FWIW,  a simple count of the number of accelerators really tells us little and is far from dispositive as to the relative strengths of the accelerator communities.

Agree we're clearly behind where we should be in the medical area.  But we are making great strides in that area. 

I'm simply saying that without Rice we would have a lot less.  Rice Alliance is huge (clearly - they fund a lot of things)...

Indeed some of the business incubators listed were... small and not of any real consequence, but Austin having more is a shame.

I do hope we can continue to see a rise in the number of new business startups here.  I'd love to see the Biomedical side really take off.  Goodness knows other cities have a firmer grasp on that area than we do - unfortunately.

Edited by arche_757

The biggest potential for growth is in Biomedical and Aerospace.

I do agree that it would be nice to see more startups here in Houston, but I see that as more wishful thinking. We will always have them and will always get more, but that will only be because the size of the city gets bigger and that allows more to come in. Houston is just a different market than the other places you mentioned. It's the symbol of big buisness, big money, big everything! I would imagine that it would be quite intimidating to begin a startup in such high competitive market. Houston is a place where the big fish come to settle down and make a nice little home for themselves lol.

I've always noticed that startups will always seek out smaller markets first. It's smart and it allows you to have plenty of room to grow before you make the jump onto the bigger stage.

I mean come on, Austin screams startup! It's just the way the culture there is and always has been.

Then again I'm not exactly business savvy so maybe I'm wrong :P

So what should be incubated? No one seems to have done much with the superconductors and Buckyballs (which WERE invented in Houston), and I'm not sure what else there is in the way of tech that isn't duplicated in other towns. Maybe it's just better to bring in more museums/art galleries/restaurants/theaters/residential blocks. And a grocery; it's a food desert down there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Construction, however, won't start on the building until about half of it is spoken for by future tenants.

Unfortunately, I fear this is a euphemism for "probably isn't going to happen".  Last I heard, there were no future tenants for 609 Main, and nobody has announced moving into the soon-to-be-complete Central Square building, either, so things don't look good for yet another office building.

I'd love to see this one go up, but I don't put its chances any higher than 6 Houston Center (which I'd already put behind Capitol Tower).

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Midtown-poised-for-first-new-office-tower-in-6402458.php?t=92d854b045&cmpid=twitter-premium

The Midtown building will have a hotel-style lobby, extensive landscaping and a covered colonnade that will provide shelter to pedestrians on all four sides. It will have about 15,000 square feet of ground-floor retail fronting Milam and Rosalie streets.

• Like 1