Midtown Retail Development

hokieone

There are significant tenants negotiating for large chunks of space at both 609 and Capitol tower. Distinct possibility nothing comes of it but they're advanced discussions.

I'm more hopeful for capital tower so that one rises out of the ground

There are significant tenants negotiating for large chunks of space at both 609 and Capitol tower. Distinct possibility nothing comes of it but they're advanced discussions.

Why so much interest in 609 & Capital Tower but no interest in 6 Houston Center? Are 609 and Capital superior buildings? Are they being marketed better? I'm just curious because it has been proposed so much longer.

Why so much interest in 609 & Capital Tower but no interest in 6 Houston Center? Are 609 and Capital superior buildings? Are they being marketed better? I'm just curious because it has been proposed so much longer.

Well, both are currently blocks that are under construction whereas 6HC is still a parking lot.

I have heard far more ado about the amenities of 609 Main and the Capitol Tower than 6HC. 609 Main is supposed to have greater control over temperatures within an individual office, for example (avoiding the "it feels like a refrigerator" complaints from female workers not bundled in a suit jacket). Both are also in far more visible locations for people commuting on the main axis of the skyline district, for what that is worth to office-location decision makers.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I couldn't find the original post on this development. I parked across the street to go in to work this morning and I saw two gentlemen surveying the site. One of those gentlemen was entering the abandoned restaurant. I think this is starting up. I should've talked to one of the guys but I was in a rush. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

22780832420_0561d0b365_z.jpg

Ok I know this picture sucks. I was having to rush to work across the street this morning. Anyways, if you look closely you can see a white truck and a ladder posted up against the abandoned restaurant building. I have no clue what's going on, but I saw 2 business men go inside a few weeks ago.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...

Doesn't look like this is gonna happen guys. The original sign that was on either corner of the block with the revised rendering has been taken down. There are new signs that say RETAIL SPACE FOR LEASE on the half block where that Vietnamese restaurant was. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

Nice, this one's indeed done for.

A development firm that had plans to build a gleaming office tower on a prime site in Midtown has shifted gears. It's now considering other options, like leasing the property to a restaurateur or retailer, or perhaps developing condos there.

For now, the company is planning to weigh its options.

"We're open to all disciplines so long as it makes sense and it's financially viable, including developing the site ourselves," Tofsky said.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Developer-cancels-tower-amid-slowdown-7235408.php

• 1 year later...

Great, then I guess we can count on first hand accounts on a regular basis j_cuevas713.

Let us know when equipment starts showing up. That would be great to have two high rises going up in Midtown at the same time.

It will start a trend of midrises in midtown. They definitely won't be the last.

I'm sure Bob Shultz is going to build his tower next to Ensemble theater eventually.

• Like 3

On 11/4/2014 at 10:46 PM, Urbannizer said:

Are we sure this is the same proposal? I don't remember there being a need to close a street.

Also - I believe there is 30 or 90 days of notice given for feedback by the community to protest a street closure. I am curious about this. I didn't think there was a need for office space in Midtown... I would love for Midtown to be a biotech or tech niche, however.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2018 at 11:54 AM, houstontexasjack said:

I received a call back from the City of Houston today.  The plan is for this to be a mixed-use development--the term used over the phone was "a little bit of everything."  Unfortunately, I got pretty sparse details.

Did you get when the city will review this request? More information regarding street abandonments usually pops up here: https://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/Mobile/Home.aspx

• Like 2

Huh. Is it Rosalie that's closed off? I see this in the Midtown MMD minutes from last month but not really much more info:

"....Midtown developer George Levan appeared before the Committee to talk about a proposed new mixed-use development project that may involve closing a portion of Rosalie St. He stated that the majority of Committee members believed the proposed new mixed-use development project would be beneficial to the Midtown Community."

https://midtownhouston.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/MMD-Minutes-12.6.2017-signed.pdf bottom of page 3.

• Like 4

Okay, I did a little research on this project and called George Levan, after I did a search. I called the number on his bio and it was High Fashion, which he helped start. The person I spoke with besides being rude, was non committal and said that George didn't work there any more. I then called Crosspoint his development company that developed the Mix with the 24 fitness and other businesses. His  name is listed on the above minutes from Midtown about this development. So this is no longer Kevin Tofsky whose name is on the billboard with the image of the 16 story high rise. 

Bottom line is we are probably getting some kind of low rise retail development and not a mid to high rise for this block., something like his Mix development.

Unfortunate, because the 16 story building would have been an interesting add to Midtown. I was hoping that this would get built.

If I hear back from George, I'll let you know what his plans are.

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Okay, I did a little research on this project and called George Levan, after I did a search. I called the number on his bio and it was High Fashion, which he helped start. The person I spoke with besides being rude, was non committal and said that George didn't work there any more. I then called Crosspoint his development company that developed the Mix with the 24 fitness and other businesses. His  name is listed on the above minutes from Midtown about this development. So this is no longer Kevin Tofsky whose name is on the billboard with the image of the 16 story high rise. 

Bottom line is we are probably getting some kind of low rise retail development and not a mid to high rise for this block., something like his Mix development.

Unfortunate, because the 16 story building would have been an interesting add to Midtown. I was hoping that this would get built.

You didn't try going by his house and knocking on his door?

J/k, good work.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, bobruss said:

I know we all wanted more but a solid mixed use development like the MIX will tie some things together for the neighborhood. Hoping this starts ASAP. 

• Like 1