WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

On 12/28/2020 at 9:12 AM, CREguy13 said:

Not seeing any mention of Skanska, makes me hesitate to believe this is current.  Perkins Eastman and Madison Marquette partnered on District Wharf in DC, so unclear if this was drawn up for the previous owner.  This would be significant for the area so hoping this is accurate!

That's a good way to get an answer quick...

• Like 2

On 10/28/2020 at 1:48 PM, Urbannizer said:

@HNathoo Is correct, Madison Marquette no longer owns the site. It’s possible they filed for a demolition permit before the sale.

PMRG built 2929 Wesleyan, purchased this site and built The Travis before merging with Madison Marquette.

Now that Skanska has control of this land I expect them to partner with a different architect- therefore a new design. 

Excited for Skanska’s involvement with the project after seeing their recent activity level. Bank of America tower and the 1550 on the green render both look nice for downtown. Interesting to think what their approach would be for a neighborhood development that can accommodate so much culture and diversity. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Moore713 said:

For decades this area has been the unofficial main corridor  to montrose .. the entrance if you will... it where back in the day the parade and block  parties  congregated... now I feel like it will finally reflect that in appearance 

I couldn't agree more. The transition from Midtown to Montrose is one of the best corridors in the city. I wish we could get funding for reconstruction of lower West.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Triton said:

If we are going to have all these major developments along Westheimer, then it seems clear to me that Westheimer is clearly due for reconstruction now. The road is in horrible shape.

Should’ve been done 10 years ago. It was BAD then. 

• Like 5

• The title was changed to WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming to Montrose
11 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I couldn't agree more. The transition from Midtown to Montrose is one of the best corridors in the city. I wish we could get funding for reconstruction of lower West.

I would love to see this as well, along with some really nice landscaping. I remember bobruss mentioning a year or two ago how he envisioned Montrose Blvd having a roundabout at Westheimer & Montrose and art all along the corridor between Allen Pkwy and Mecom Fountain...and I to this day I think that's a great idea. Certain thoroughfares like Main St, (lower) Westheimer and Montrose should have first class mobility, light synchronization, road smoothness, signage, surface markings and landscaping.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, por favor gracias said:

I would love to see this as well, along with some really nice landscaping. I remember bobruss mentioning a year or two ago how he envisioned Montrose Blvd having a roundabout at Westheimer & Montrose and art all along the corridor between Allen Pkwy and Mecom Fountain...and I to this day I think that's a great idea. Certain thoroughfares like Main St, (lower) Westheimer and Montrose should have first class mobility, light synchronization, road smoothness, signage, surface markings and landscaping.

And, in the case of Montrose... A boulevard for the entire length.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Amlaham said:

The other day I drove down Westheimer from Midtown for the first time in 6 months and WOW. I might sound crazy, but this area is starting to look like Melrose Ave in LA. Not as dense, but I swear it looks like an up and coming Melrose. 

• 101 Westheimer Rd is repainting their buildings from a yellowish color to gray/black/white (matches the Pearl Whole Foods building) 
  • 215 Westheimer Rd went from a small building + big parking lot to a massive building with a small/ hidden parking
  • 223 Westheimer Rd went from an old shotgun/suburban looking house to a extremely contemporary white building 
  • 243 Westheimer Rd went from an old rundown house/ restaurant + big parking lot to a massive contemporary building with hidden parking
  • 424 Westheimer Rd went from a parking lot to an urban park 
  • 516 Westheimer Rd is remodeling and went from an ATROCIOUS Orange/ yellow paint to a dark gray/ black paint job 
  • 802 Westheimer Rd went from a shopping center with a huge front lot to whats becoming the Montrose collective 
  • 1001 Westheimer Rd.....THIS PROJECT!
  • Even 3207 Montrose Blvd right across this project is undergoing some sort of renovations 

This is only what I observed and this is only from Bagby to Montrose blvd. If they rebuild the street with wider sidewalks with trees lined up, this area would seriously rival major streets in LA. 

Side note: I keep referencing LA because I feel like our architecture is most similar to LA compared to west coast cities. Sorry this post is so long 🙃

I was in town over Christmas and drove down this stretch of Westheimer. I remember being impressed and thinking, I don't remember it being quite this urban, this visually striking. Your inventory of changes helps explain why it seemed this way.

• Like 4

That roundabout idea was always brought up in any meeting I attended for last five years or so. I love the idea.......a huge topiary of a stiletto shoe  in the middle of the round about could bring back a lot of the myth of Montrose— also helping traffic problems..... I think 🤔 ?

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Amlaham said:

The other day I drove down Westheimer from Midtown for the first time in 6 months and WOW.

Among the improvements listed is the repainting of buildings. To each his own, but I don't understand the appeal of painting everything black, gray, or white (or any combination thereof).
Is all color considered to be in bad taste now? Are people afraid of it? What did color ever do to you?
While I accept that growth involves change (and destruction) I'd rather see some of the elements of the original Montrose retained - a few century-old houses, quirky architectural details, bold colors used with abandon. 
While Melrose Ave may be a great street in its own right, I'd rather see Houston be Houston, not L.A., Jr. 

• Like 1

Edit: As mentioned below, this was designed for a previous owner. 

Is this what is planned?

https://www.perkinseastman.com/projects/heart-of-montrose/

On 1/13/2021 at 12:19 PM, Triton said:

If we are going to have all these major developments along Westheimer, then it seems clear to me that Westheimer is clearly due for reconstruction now. The road is in horrible shape.

The city is clearly desperate to try to have someone else foot part of the bill. When it was pulled from CIP they said that they would add it back when HGAC had a call for projects again.

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, wilcal said:

I'm counting 32 stories on the tallest structure. 

Also, kind of interesting that they have a 10 story building sketched in for the Kroger parking lot. 

I notice that there's no trace of a parking garage in this rendering, and wonder how deep they'd be willing to go for underground parking. Perhaps instead they have somewhere close by in mind.
Is it sheer coincidence that Kroger is shuttering just as this project is getting underway? While Montrose Blvd is making progress to become a more pedestrian friendly destination street, the focus seems to be more on Lower Westheimer.
A parking garage adequate for both this development and another could be squeezed onto the Kroger lot, especially if the developers petition the city to abandon that block of Lovett Blvd. (which would almost certainly be granted).

• Like 2

“I couldn't agree more. The transition from Midtown to Montrose is one of the best corridors in the city. I wish we could get funding for reconstruction of lower Westheimer.”

=> Notice faint sound of teeth grinding

please remember ALL of the renovations of   LOWER  WESTHEIMER were COMPLETELY funded prior to Hurricane Harvey- The money as THERE!  COH set of big committee , arranged community input, made a terrific little you tube video...etc...etc..etc

big puff of breath

At present renovations to Lower Westheimer have been attached to Renovations of Westheimer West of Montrose; that project is only partially funded........is the money de dictated to lower Westheimer available now? Who knows

big sigh

• Like 4

I went to Half Price this weekend...they are almost cleared out of all merch except lots of vinyl and dvds.

the guy at the door (my buddy bucky was off) said that they have not been able to find a new location but are hopeful to find one this year...

he said that they just have in their mind what they want to pay and are able to afford and haven't found that as of yet...

• Like 6