WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

On 5/7/2021 at 3:09 PM, hindesky said:

Looks like they are paving over the tripping hazards around the block. They have a skid steer with a jack hammer to remove the higher obstructions, dump truck with asphalt, and a roller. I assume this is so that people going to get popcorn and drinks don't trip at the drive-in theatre.

1zHhjON.jpg

j3bkQJr.jpg

byE9rfK.jpg

Wait what, a temp movie theater? Is this a joke?

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 5:06 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

Wait what, a temp movie theater? Is this a joke?

no joke...probably something similar to the other drive in's that have been happening in the city or like a rooftop cinema but on the lot! 

i kinda think it would be cool 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

https://www.skanska.fi/tietoa-skanskasta/media/uutiset/254374/Jatkasaaren-terassitalon-arkkitehtikilpailun-voittaja-on-ratkennut

Skanska just announced a new development in Helsinki, just copy paste that design right here!!

Kilpailun voittajaksi valittiin Arkkitehtuuritoimisto B & M Oy työllään Step by Step

Not a big fan to be honest. I would prefer a much denser development, especially if you take into account the property immediately behind this corner lot which I think they also own. Get the street in-between removed, and you could build something really impressive.

• Like 3

What possible benefit would there be to removing the street? Both lots are already quite large; combining them into a single enormous suberblock right in the middle of Montrose would be awful.

I do agree that the Helsinki development is too low density, though it's worth keeping in mind that building that here would double its height with a giant parking podium.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

What possible benefit would there be to removing the street? Both lots are already quite large; combining them into a single enormous suberblock right in the middle of Montrose would be awful.

I do agree that the Helsinki development is too low density, though it's worth keeping in mind that building that here would double its height with a giant parking podium.

I mean, I guess they could just build a large structure or skywalks to bridge over the road, but I don't think getting both those properties is a coincidence, and the possibilities of that much prime real estate at the junction of two of Houston's busiest and most important roads is just too good to pass up.

1 hour ago, Big E said:

I mean, I guess they could just build a large structure or skywalks to bridge over the road, but I don't think getting both those properties is a coincidence, and the possibilities of that much prime real estate at the junction of two of Houston's busiest and most important roads is just too good to pass up.

Skanska does not own the “Disco Kroger” lot. An outfit out of Georgia bought that.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, JVargashtwn said:

Grocery store closes = neighborhood collapses. 

The most interesting tid bit:

"Three case studies selected, Fifth Ward, OST/South Union and Greenspoint, were found to have relatively high susceptibilities to gentrification according to our analysis," the report's authors wrote.

Relative to what? Cloverleaf? 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Skanska's empty Montrose site livens up with new market, music

Aug. 12, 2021Updated: Aug. 12, 2021 2:55 p.m.

A fallow corner of Montrose will be enlivened with an open air market featuring music, food trucks and farmer's market starting this weekend as part of an initiative of Skanska USA Commercial and a local company.

Skanska brought in Curb Coalition to host a pop-up Curb Market along with a variety of events on its site at 1001 Westheimer at Montrose Boulevard. Skanska purchased the 3-acre tract last year for $27 million as a future development site that could include apartments, offices, shops and a hotel.

"Skanska is thrilled to welcome this local organization onto the site to host engaging community programming while the team finalizes their development plans for the upcoming project," the company said in a statement.

A shopping center was torn down in March to make way for the development, for which no timeline has been announced.

For now, the land is a blank slate for Curb Coalition to create "new concepts capitalizing on the artistic essence of the neighborhood," Skanska said.

Curb Market – Montrose will showcase offerings from traditional farmer’s markets such as produce, jams and jellies along with crafts by local artisans reflecting Houston's diversity. The products will include paintings, handmade jewelry, home goods, vintage clothing, holistic products and more.

This weekend kicks off a soft opening, starting Friday and Saturday from 6-10 p.m. Night Market & Live Concerts will feature performances by local bands, a food truck court, crafts, drinks from local bars and other family-friendly activities such as yard games and face painting. On Sunday, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.,Variety Market & Family Fun will bring a market, live acoustic music, brunch drinks and food offerings.

Skanska is among a number of Houston developers that have sought to maximize land holdings before development commences. Midway's East River site is being used for Moonstruck Drive-In Cinema east of downtown and multifamily company Barvin hosts the Braeswood Farmers Market on Stella Link and Braeswood where a mixed-use development is planned starting next year.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

I'm not ever really negative on HAIF, but that looks like ass when considering where this is.

But I'm sure Gensler knows the significance of this site and the area, so I have faith. If they come out with a basic podium structure though, we might have to mobilize a resistance force.