WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

Could also be that there's a halfway house right there.

I know for where I live in Midtown, the homeless services centers are all clustered fairly close together (for obvious reasons), which definitely leads to a more noticeable presence. It's not really an issue for me or my neighbors (as far as I'm aware), though - just sad and frustrating to see. And probably makes walking at night uncomfortable for people on the slighter side.

Sure rising rents can increase homelessness if a large geographic area is affected with little new affordable housing making up for it, but there’s without a doubt a lot more at play: the overall economy, macro/micro employment trends, the ability/inability of a metro area to house people in need, substance abuse trends, etc. And as someone mentioned, certain neighborhoods can be affected moreso when shelters, etc. are nearby. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 11:11 AM, Luminare said:

I don't know guys. I got this funny feeling Bed, Bath and Beyond is going to make a comeback...

And they found another sucker investor willing to throw another billion at keeping them afloat. And a good thing, that. I've got a hundred discount postcards from them in my door pocket...

Edited by toxtethogrady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• The title was changed to Montrose Blvd. And Westheimer Rd.
  • 1 month later...

This is when you wonder why properties that are closed for years and  owners probably paying mega property taxes don't rent to  a business like 1/2 price books at a discount. The "going" price of rent is prohibitive within Montrose, but 1/2 rent would give the property owner partial payment of those property  taxes.

IDK but  as an example, places like those buildings along Tuam, either side of the Mercedes place/ Sunny's.......don't think I've even seen them open.  From the outside looking in; seems like useable property  -not being used.

sigh, my " pie in the sky" hopefulness is in overdrive today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Is anyone else worried over fate of Montrose 1/2 price books

you mean the place that used to be late night pie? that had been a burned out husk for a long time, and I think they are rebuilding it to some extent now.

but for 1/2price books, that takes a fair amount of SF is what? 8k sf? to get that much contiguous space when a landlord can lease the same volume to 3 restaurants and probably for more money? yeah, let's do restaurants.

or in the case of the location on Westheimer, tear down the building, reduce their expenses (building maintenance, property tax, etc), set up a weekend market and probably make more money from that while they wait for the right time to do whatever to the land that they want. it's sad, but it's progress.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrFubbles said:

Any signs of life? Noticed many of the food trucks moved off the lot

The food trucks come and go, they have to pass their city inspections occasionally. They only have the market open on Friday's, Saturday's and Sunday's but some of the food trucks serve meals throughout the week.

• Like 5

On 2/3/2023 at 11:11 AM, Luminare said:

I don't know guys. I got this funny feeling Bed, Bath and Beyond is going to make a comeback, and they are going to choose this lot as their final stand. One lot for Bed, One lot for Bath, and one for Beyond!

Meanwhile, Tuesday Morning is kaput...