WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2021 at 12:19 PM, Triton said:

If we are going to have all these major developments along Westheimer, then it seems clear to me that Westheimer is clearly due for reconstruction now. The road is in horrible shape.

No, no, no, that's all part of the charm. As an added plus, it helps prevent speeding🤣

On 1/13/2021 at 11:44 PM, por favor gracias said:

I would love to see this as well, along with some really nice landscaping. I remember bobruss mentioning a year or two ago how he envisioned Montrose Blvd having a roundabout at Westheimer & Montrose and art all along the corridor between Allen Pkwy and Mecom Fountain...and I to this day I think that's a great idea. Certain thoroughfares like Main St, (lower) Westheimer and Montrose should have first class mobility, light synchronization, road smoothness, signage, surface markings and landscaping.

Is there room for a roundabout there? I don't think one could be installed without taking a piece out of each of the corner properties.

On 2/1/2021 at 11:43 AM, Andrew Ewert said:

Thoughts of a pedestrian/light-rail only stretch of Elgin/Westheimer between 59 and Shepherd...

... a boy can dream

That actually sounds like a nightmare to me, given the lack of suitable alternatives and the weird street angles that abound in the area. Of course, we could do what they did in Doha, Qatar, and just tear down all the old stuff and build new that looks old, but with street realignment, new infrastructure, etc.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 12:19 PM, Triton said:

If we are going to have all these major developments along Westheimer, then it seems clear to me that Westheimer is clearly due for reconstruction now. The road is in horrible shape.

I’ve never driven down a stretch of road with more narrow lanes.  Any time there’s heavy traffic I’m white-knuckling the steering wheel.  Reconstruction would be soooooooo nice!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

I’ve never driven down a stretch of road with more narrow lanes.  Any time there’s heavy traffic I’m white-knuckling the steering wheel.  Reconstruction would be soooooooo nice!

Whelp, my coworker just faced the wrath of this street last week. 

He was driving his Kia Stinger in the right lane and a car came to close to him and he created "canyons" in his rim as he scrapped the curbs... I mean just chunks of metal taken out.. never seen that before. Had to do a major repair on his wheels and cost him a pretty penny. Honestly surprised they were repairable and weren't just replaced. That's seriously why I never drive in the right lanes.

• 2 weeks later...

Montrose has really changed since I’ve lived here. I remember this shopping center back when there was a small H.E.B pantry store there also a Blockbuster video and a Eckerd drug store were located there. 
I hope Texas Art Supply on Montrose doesn’t go away too that would be bad. 😢

Edited by cityliving
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, cityliving said:

Montrose has really changed since I’ve lived here. I remember this shopping center back when there was a small H.E.B pantry store there also a Blockbuster video and a Eckerd drug store were located there. 

Also when Soundwaves used to be there in the 90s (on the end where Half Price Books was), before they relocated to the old Walgreens building at Hawthorne and Montrose.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, hindesky said:

The link has a click-baity headline, but there’s not really any news. Skanska has not added the Kroger site. Any developer *may* be considering adding another significant parcel adjacent to their development. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

The link has a click-baity headline, but there’s not really any news. Skanska has not added the Kroger site. Any developer *may* be considering adding another significant parcel adjacent to their development. 

In my opinion, temporary community use of the site is a pretty big bullet point. They have nothing to gain from allowing that, but it's a major win for the neighborhood.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, phillip_white said:

In my opinion, temporary community use of the site is a pretty big bullet point. They have nothing to gain from allowing that, but it's a major win for the neighborhood.

I agree - just hope there is no weeping over the closing of the temporary use from the neighborhood. The cries about the strip center on Westheimer are getting to me. 

• Like 7

I have seen lots of recollections (few of them fond ) on the Montrose Nextdoor concerning the  tiny HEB that was once there.........among my “pie in the sky” wishes

( along with lowered rent for 1/2 price books and a lush green wildscape along Westheimer side)is a newHEB like the one on Waugh and Westheimer.

wouldn’t that be a lovely “ coming full circle “ event.🙂

• Like 3

19 hours ago, hindesky said:

Everything is torn down, just loading out and start tearing out the concrete and asphalt.

nV8hjWx.jpg

Imagining Skanska releasing a statement saying "PSYCH!" then building a huge public square with a big fountain and a statue of Ray Hill. 

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

Imaging Skanska releasing a statement saying "PSYCH!" then building a huge public square with a big fountain and a statue of Ray Hill. 

I'm guessing that's highly unlikely after they spent $27 mil to just buy the property plus what the demo is costing.

• Like 3