WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

25 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

Good thing for all of us here is that OMA is the architect, not Gensler.  And while the designs are preliminary, they are incredible.  Like nothing currently in Houston, extremely ambitious.  I'm hopeful they get put out in the next few months.

Can you share more about what you know about this designs?

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Apologies in advance for prematurely exciting anyone for bumping this thread without any news to share…but…is anything going to be announced soon? We’re almost at the one-year anniversary of the lot being leveled!

Skanska…show us what you got!

I talked with Tommy the superintendent of the 1550 On The Green when he was setting up the water filled barriers on the street. Asked him when Westmont would start and he told me they are finallizing plans but also said it would be a while before they decide.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, arche_757 said:

Begging your pardon @hindesky, but how would a superintendent of another project know such details?

I assume they work in their local office when not at the job site and during company planning meetings. I'm just repeating what he told me. I also asked him about the the lots across the street from 1550 On The Green and he said those could be an office building and the other a hotel and either condo's or apartments on the upper levels, like The Allen is. Tommy is a real nice guy and easily approachable. I've talked with him a couple of times. He also told me he gave one of the tenants of One Park Place his cell # and she has called him several times asking when the pile drilling was going to finish. It was very loud and I guess she was tired of listening to all the noise.

r7PrRwh.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 8:41 AM, Amlaham said:

https://www.oma.com 

Is this the OMA that's going to be the architect? If so, I think we have a really good chance that this is going to be significant! They even did the architecture for POST! Side note, does anyone know roughly when we can see this moving forward?

Its never a good thing to just 100% trust anyone, but OMA has a really stellar reputation. Even their worst stuff is really good in comparison to others. They are probably one the most serious architecture offices around. I'm interested to see what they do now that they have done Post, how do they approach the Houston market? Not sure honestly. Its weird talking about firms like OMA and BIG in regards to Houston, but this should clue in people to how much bigger Houston is going to become, and impact of people moving from other places to Houston this will mean. Both firms regularly like to position their work/themselves in "emerging markets" or what they perceive to be so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Its never a good thing to just 100% trust anyone, but OMA has a really stellar reputation. Even their worst stuff is really good in comparison to others. They are probably one the most serious architecture offices around. I'm interested to see what they do now that they have done Post, how do they approach the Houston market? Not sure honestly. Its weird talking about firms like OMA and BIG in regards to Houston, but this should clue in people to how much bigger Houston is going to become, and impact of people moving from other places to Houston this will mean. Both firms regularly like to position their work/themselves in "emerging markets" or what they perceive to be so.

In terms of size and big city vibe, Houston is really on it's own in TX. For all of it's mishaps and mistakes, this city boasts some of the most urban, densest, eclectic neighborhoods in the entire state. The presence of architecture firms this large and well known is something I feel a lot of us are forgetting or taking for granted. It's firms like these that basically put a city on the map at a much greater level in terms of being a "cool, socially accepted city." Whatever get's developed here is going to have a massive impact. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

In terms of size and big city vibe, Houston is really on it's own in TX. For all of it's mishaps and mistakes, this city boasts some of the most urban, densest, eclectic neighborhoods in the entire state. The presence of architecture firms this large and well known is something I feel a lot of us are forgetting or taking for granted. It's firms like these that basically put a city on the map at a much greater level in terms of being a "cool, socially accepted city." Whatever get's developed here is going to have a massive impact. 

But wouldn’t you say Dallas is comparable in that regard?

43 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

But wouldn’t you say Dallas is comparable in that regard?

No offense to Dallas but no. I've been to Dallas many times and while they have some areas that have real potential, they still lack a lot of development in the inner city. People always talk about how spread out we are but Dallas is not only spread out but it has massive gaps in it's urban fabric. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Isn't gonna fall within the TOD ordinance?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

Isn't gonna fall within the TOD ordinance?

9 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yes because Westheimer is a TOD street if I'm not mistaken. 

It's not 😒 Only the future BRT line stations are included, not the 82. Yes I am salty about this. Yes I harangued the city about how silly this was when they were discussing TOD. My gut says if they asked for any sort of variance to implement TOD standards then it would probably be granted, but Livable Places was initially talking about expanding some TOD-style relaxations based on access to BOOST bus lines and some other things, so this will fall into that eventually. Additionally, TOD is still opt-in, so Skanska wouldn't have to adopt it. 

lioOPAo.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

It's not 😒 Only the future BRT line stations are included, not the 82. Yes I am salty about this. Yes I harangued the city about how silly this was when they were discussing TOD. My gut says if they asked for any sort of variance to implement TOD standards then it would probably be granted, but Livable Places was initially talking about expanding some TOD-style relaxations based on access to BOOST bus lines and some other things, so this will fall into that eventually. Additionally, TOD is still opt-in, so Skanska wouldn't have to adopt it. 

lioOPAo.png

What effect, if any, will being part of a TOD have on residential property values in those areas?

16 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I agree. Austin and Dallas were always going to get attention first because even though they are in Texas, the ethos of both of those cities is very similar to what exists in any other city. This is where our lack of restrictions will separate us from the pack, and if outside firms start building in Houston, and really explore this that will be very attractive, just it was for the big boys in Modernism, and the early days of Post-Modernism. Houston is a wide, eclectic, and interesting playground with a lot of potential. People just need to understand that Houston is its own animal, and has its own admirable qualities that are unique to that city. Once that happens, that's when things get interesting. If anything my hope is Houston not go the "safe", or "socially accepted" route, because its been doing that for a long time. Instead it needs to once again embrace this mentality that its different, and it does whatever it wants whenever it wants. If Houston can get back in touch with its old cowboy Cavalier attitude, but with a touch of southern sophistication then that's a combination very few will have.

EDIT: When I mean Austin and Dallas being similar in ethos, I should probably clarify what I mean by this. Austin has a very similar ethos to capital cities and smaller cities in the East, while Dallas is very similar in ethos with something like LA. Not like they are the same as their contemporaries, but they are similar in how each city is structured and run.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@hindesky I was still confused (hence my earlier reply), but think I get it now!

@Luminare OMA is a great architectural firm.  Not every thing they’ve done is a masterwork -which can be said for every architect ever, perhaps except Palladio(!)- but they turn out quality at every stop.

Having not really followed this thread adequately (see above) I’m quite pleased this is the direction things are heading.

Edited by arche_757

5 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

What effect, if any, will being part of a TOD have on residential property values in those areas?

I certainly don't think it lowers property values. I think that the additional flexibility makes the land worth more, particularly in a redevelopment situation. Chopping a larger home into a four plex can face difficulties because of the parking requirements and those would be effectively eliminated. 

As j_cuevas713 addresses, there are a large number of people that want to live in communities with amenities that are within walking distance and the TOD ordinance provides for a significantly improved pedestrian experience, so this also increases desirability which increases value. But also, TOD has been in effect for 15 months, and there haven't exactly been a ton of projects that have taken advantage that I've seen. 

In the pic I posted above, all of the streets in Montrose are pink, which is the Secondary TOD standard, which will exist until the BRT station is actually built and activated. The blue Primary TOD streets in the museum district are there because the light rail is of course built and operating. There is a formula that decides where Primary and Secondary designations fall. So right now, TOD is really "half-baked" in Montrose until the BRT stations are done. Secondary designation only allows a business to go down to 50% of the required parking (residential is market-based, so 0% required). 

Here is a link to the User's Guide for Walkable Places and TOD

I have an acquaintance that got a quote to build a decent sized parking garage in the suburbs, and the quote came back at $35,000/spot. This is quite a bit higher than a developer I talked to in Midtown that said that they paid about $20-$25k/spot for their garage in like 2018/9ish. That is some serious cash when you think about how much parking this site needs/is required to have and each 30 parking spots may add $1,000,000 in development costs. 

Sorry, this got long, but I think it's an interesting question and something that more property owners will bring up as these ordinances may continue to be expanded. 

Edit: I think a more interesting question: is what does an ordinance like TOD do for housing affordability? You create a more desirable area, but you unlock more affordable housing by dropping some parking requirements. But that is something to talk about in the TOD thread. 

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, hindesky said:

The Montrose Marketplace is getting more and more people and vendors every week. The warmer weather certainly helps.

cCGclxi.png

Would be cool if that entire block was permanently an open air market place. Definitely not possible given that piece of land is so valuable. My hope is someone sees the success of this and replicates it on a nearby block somewhere.

• Like 2

This Montrose marketplace is a joke, reminds me of a flea market in some third world country, the owners of the property didn’t even bother removing that crappy sign from the corner that was left there from the previous shopping center that was torn down, what an eye sore. 
Developers who purchase property should not tear down buildings if they aren’t going to develop something and leave the properties looking like this.

Edited by cityliving
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, cityliving said:

This Montrose marketplace is a joke, reminds me of a flea market in a third world country, the owners of the property didn’t even bother removing that crappy sign from the corner that was left there from the previous shopping center that was torn down, 

Oh lord... we can't have the rabble with their darn dirty tailgating tents.

Besides, this is merely a temporary installation until something actually happens with the property, so you rest easy at night.

I'm curious about your opinion on open markets elsewhere since you just seem to make an association that this is only something one finds in third world countries. Maybe, I don't know, take a stroll along The Seine, The Spree, The Thames, every local market in the Balkans, every little German town market (Mauer Park in Berlin?), every fishery in little Italian city/town, or tourist trap areas in Rome, Florence....I can keep going but please enlighten us about a more sophisticated solution free of peasants.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Oh lord... we can't have the rabble with their darn dirty tailgating tents.

Besides, this is merely a temporary installation until something actually happens with the property, so you rest easy at night.

I'm curious about your opinion on open markets elsewhere since you just seem to make an association that this is only something one finds in third world countries. Maybe, I don't know, take a stroll along The Seine, The Spree, The Thames, every local market in the Balkans, every little German town market (Mauer Park in Berlin?), every fishery in little Italian city/town, or tourist trap areas in Rome, Florence....I can keep going but please enlighten us about a more sophisticated solution free of peasants.

If you think this looks like something in Europe, that's crazy.

This looks like (a bad part) of Lagos or El Alto en La Paz.

Even as temporary it looks horrible. I've seen many temporary markets where they at least make nice plywood fronts

image.jpeg.54e434c13e1e2aa6fdb6f49e088546b5.jpeg

Christmas Markets are CANCELLED due to the COVID-19 | Prague Photographer

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, iah77 said:

If you think this looks like something in Europe, that's crazy.

This looks like (a bad part) of Lagos or El Alto en La Paz.

Even as temporary it looks horrible. I've seen many temporary markets where they at least make nice plywood fronts

image.jpeg.54e434c13e1e2aa6fdb6f49e088546b5.jpeg

Christmas Markets are CANCELLED due to the COVID-19 | Prague Photographer

Your argument consists of stock images of a Weihnachtsmarkt, which is seasonal and actually heavily regulated and not a 1 to 1 comparison, and one particular instance of maybe a food market which could be France, and thats it? You should google "Mauer Park Berlin Flohmarkt". Its a market that pops up in one Berlins biggest parks every now and then and it looks exactly like this popup market in Houston. If you want to actually have an argument then at the very least do your best to exhibit comparisons 1 to 1. Not Apples to Oranges.

Look I'm not saying this market should always be popup tents, it could certainly grow into something better later (The Houston Food Market in the heights is an example of this evolution). Who knows what could happen, but all this sounds pretty elitest. Just let the market be what it wants to be. I can't think of anything more Houston than something random and spontanous happening out of know where and in the face of busy-bodies and control freaks who want to micro manage everything. If they want to make things more permanent then let them. If they want this as something more on the fly or haphazard then let them. You are essentially acting like this is a blight on society. Just let them be.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

This is Montrose. The flea market should be strictly regulated to allow for the resale of used mattresses only.

Now we definitely know what this site is destined to be....a Mattress Firm distribution center haha

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Luminare said:

Now we definitely know what this site is destined to be....a Mattress Firm distribution center haha

IIRC, there WAS a Mattress Firm here... and across the street, and on the next block.... and a half mile away

• Like 2
  • Haha 2