WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

On 1/18/2021 at 10:53 AM, gene said:

I went to Half Price this weekend...they are almost cleared out of all merch except lots of vinyl and dvds.

I saw a post on Reddit with a bunch of photos of barren shelves and didn't bother stopping by . . . but if I had known they had a ton of vinyl left, I would have gone. I've found some hidden gems there in the past!

I hope they relocate inside the loop somewhere. I would strongly encourage them to check out the East End . . . and not just because that would put them in my backyard. There are bound to be some attractive spaces with reasonable rent that might fit their expectations. 

• Like 6

• The title was changed to WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

so if i am correct everything in the plaza is now closed and cleared out except the 24hr med clinic...does anyone know their closing date as the new building/location is being worked on almost nonstop... 

(3209 montrose blvd just across the street from this location on montrose)

• Like 4

On 1/22/2021 at 4:52 PM, Triton said:

So this rendering does not include what will become of the Kroger property, right?

Correct. That car making an illegal left turn is on Lovett. There is a random greyed out building on the Kroger parcel though.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:05 PM, Texasota said:

I don't think we have any reason to believe that rendering reflects current plans in any way, do we?

But there's this. Something I learned when I posted it up above 😄

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 12:57 PM, trymahjong said:

“I couldn't agree more. The transition from Midtown to Montrose is one of the best corridors in the city. I wish we could get funding for reconstruction of lower Westheimer.”

=> Notice faint sound of teeth grinding

please remember ALL of the renovations of   LOWER  WESTHEIMER were COMPLETELY funded prior to Hurricane Harvey- The money as THERE!  COH set of big committee , arranged community input, made a terrific little you tube video...etc...etc..etc

big puff of breath

At present renovations to Lower Westheimer have been attached to Renovations of Westheimer West of Montrose; that project is only partially funded........is the money de dictated to lower Westheimer available now? Who knows

big sigh

The real wonderment is........why can’t those 2 projects that were joined be separated again and renovations on lowerWestheimer started....... the cost of street repair only gets more expensive.......

• Like 4

2 hours ago, trymahjong said:

The real wonderment is........why can’t those 2 projects that were joined be separated again and renovations on lowerWestheimer started....... the cost of street repair only gets more expensive.......

I think maybe the city wants to tackle both lower and upper Westheimer at once. When they refer to upper Westheimer are they talking about that area from Buffalo Speedway to 610? Because that def needs some TLC

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I think maybe the city wants to tackle both lower and upper Westheimer at once. When they refer to upper Westheimer are they talking about that area from Buffalo Speedway to 610? Because that def needs some TLC

Quote for truth. One of the busiest, most visible stretches of Westheimer--Highland Village, RO District, etc--and it's paved like a third-world street. They recently finished the stretch east from BS to Kirby, so now let's go westward!

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, astrohip said:

Quote for truth. One of the busiest, most visible stretches of Westheimer--Highland Village, RO District, etc--and it's paved like a third-world street. They recently finished the stretch east from BS to Kirby, so now let's go westward!

Is there a chance that the UKMD is contributing to those renovations?
Likely any fancy brickwork was from them?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, astrohip said:

I think that section is what the COH planned to reconstruct, not RO. But I could be wrong.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skooljunkie said:

Westheimer from the railroad to BS was annexed into the UK TIRZ a few years ago (Along with Weslayan). Perhaps that can get rebuilt using some TIRZ money eventually.

UK TIRZ has done a really good job getting their infrastructure updated. So hopefully soon this section finally get's started. I'm really excited about South Shepherd. We'll finally see some continuity and the ability to stroll through a neighborhood safely. 

• Like 3

On 1/23/2013 at 1:56 PM, trymahjong said:

When Kirk Baxter made his presentation to Neartown about the proposed Memorial, he said he had spoken to new owners of the property about the posibility of putting the Memorial to Mary's on the SE corner of Waugh and Westheimer so the glass would reflect the the renovated building that was formally Mary's. He went on to say the owners of the property had told him they are planning a 6 story mixed use project. He told us the owners seemed to favor his proposal.

I reread this post

i wonder if there is a chance for that Memorial in the new landscaping—- is anyone still advocating for it?

• Like 1

On 3/8/2012 at 6:13 PM, trymahjong said:

Wish the "powers that be" would consider moving moving 1/2 price books into that old house next door to Katz's-- i think it would be a cool place filled with bookshelves. .lots of nooks to read in. . . it's a great ole house. .I'd settle for any business really. . . . . . . I'm always afraid that instead of renovating, those woeful houses will get torn down like the one by Indika.

I reread all the posts on this thread, my concern about losing my Montrose 1/2 PriceBooks was there at the beginning of this thread. My suggestion of the old house I mentioned won’t work since Poscol has gone in. That abandoned mansion at Austin andElgin must  be complicated to rent since it’s still  empty. The Abandoned restaurant at Montrose and Marshall seems too small.
But is there somewhere else within Montrose or midtown? 
maybe 1/2price books monitors HAIF and might post something..
i’ve become jaded enough to doubt the new developers would offer 1/2 PriceBook# reduced rent in new structure—-sigh

guess after 8 years this is still percolating in my brain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

I reread all the posts on this thread, my concern about losing my Montrose 1/2 PriceBooks was there at the beginning of this thread. My suggestion of the old house I mentioned won’t work since Poscol has gone in. That abandoned mansion at Austin andElgin must  be complicated to rent since it’s still  empty. The Abandoned restaurant at Montrose and Marshall seems too small.
But is there somewhere else within Montrose or midtown? 
maybe 1/2price books monitors HAIF and might post something..
i’ve become jaded enough to doubt the new developers would offer 1/2 PriceBook# reduced rent in new structure—-sigh

guess after 8 years this is still percolating in my brain.

I’ve heard they wanted to buy, not rent, and want to buy for $.50 on the dollar. Not much you can do to satisfy unrealistic expectations. Maybe they eventually give in and rent - there are plenty of locations with mom & pop landlords that can’t give the TI packages that result in crazy high rent amounts. 

• Like 2

I spoke with a representative at the Dallas corporate headquarters last week, and she said that they have not been able to find anything inside the loop in their price range.  They  had concluded that there would not be a new store in  the near future. I suggested that the East end - U. of Houston area would be something they might look into. She said they had put off adding a new store within the loop or the Houston market for that matter. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

I spoke with a representative at the Dallas corporate headquarters last week, and she said that they have not been able to find anything inside the loop in their price range.  They  had concluded that there would not be a new store in  the near future. I suggested that the East end - U. of Houston area would be something they might look into. She said they had put off adding a new store within the loop or the Houston market for that matter. 

Well... their locations on North and South Lamar in Austin have much higher rent than a lot of places inside the 610 Loop. The question is, what kind of sales were their stores doing in Houston? You have to have a certain ratio of sales to rent to make it work. 

This is kind of like when we lost our full time FM classical musical station, to much dismay. Many people in Houston like classical music. But more people like country, rap, Latin, adult contemporary, Christian, etc. Only a finite number of radio stations. Lots of Houstonians may like used books, but more of them like restaurants, mattresses, cell phones, nail salons, massage, video games, tae kwon do, etc. So those places push the rent up to a level where used book stores can't go.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, bobruss said:

Wow

This IS the time for PBS to step in and film a series ( with lots of underwriters) on rehabbing a semi important building within Midtown or East end.  An historic building saved, accolades for KUHT........TaDa 1/2 books would be perfect move in client.

Uh 2 birds 1stone— 

uhOh

my gullible wishful thinking is showing — my worst fears of last 9 years coming true- #$%&!

dang the new clinic looks to be finished (across the street) and ready to relocate from this plaza! 

i would say by weeks end this plaza will be empty...do you think they will knock down this plaza almost immediately once empty like they did Jack In The Box? 

31 minutes ago, gene said:

dang the new clinic looks to be finished (across the street) and ready to relocate from this plaza! 

i would say by weeks end this plaza will be empty...do you think they will knock down this plaza almost immediately once empty like they did Jack In The Box? 

I think they will. They should turn it into a temporary outdoor movie theater while they figure out next steps! BYONoiseCancellingAirpods.

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2009 at 10:04 AM, trymahjong said:

urban land institute architect renderings

post-1-12488817423439_thumb.jpg

the charrette was sponsored by the Neartown Asso and ULI the community leaders, businesses, residents and interested parties were asked to gather and tell what should be "in the Mix" for the "buckle" of Montrose-- the intersection of Montrose and Westheimer-- Walkability, multi-use -less traffic-- more parking--public art

were all elements--this is just one possibility

I’ve been looking over the WestMont renderings for the new development  and remembered this rendering from 2009 complete with traffic circle.

All in all, I wonder how many proposed artistic renderings have been made for Westheimer at Montrose?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gene said:

I just drove by, and it looks like they could start demolishing this in the next few days.  The whole block is already fenced off and Signature care is out with their sign taken down and a banner stating they've relocated across the street. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1