500 Crawford: Multifamily At 500 Crawford St.

lockmat

• 4 weeks later...

Well, today was the day they demolished the Ben Milam Hotel. Fairly light turnout compared to some other demolitions, but it didn't seem to have as high a profile. Kind of a shame they couldn't make some use of it, it only takes up about an eighth of the site.

Here is the video I took.

Before. What is left of the sign on the north corner.

itlTrCbmEaND7.png

Looking down Preston St. afterwards.

ifUA9pAg6ysf9.png

Exactly three years ago.

• Like 2

Yea I've thought this was moving a tad bit slow, but seems its almost complete now. I wonder when the projected opening date of the upscale Italian restaurant and diner that will be going on the ground floor will be open. Catalyst seems to be moving at a fast pace.

A neighborhood is emerging DT...a long way to go, but this complex is a fantastic addition.

I agree. This as well as all the other projects are creating a positive feedback cycle. Waiting of the Great Southwestern. This will make six apartments/ hotels up within a few blocks of each other. It is going to have a decisive impact.

• Like 2

Yes this has been "slow" but is also huge and very complex.

It is big, true. But, what makes it "very complex"? I don't know anything about stuff like this so, to me, it just seems like any other large building spanning two blocks. What specifically makes this one "very complex"?

Edited by UtterlyUrban

It is big, true. But, what makes it "very complex"? I don't know anything about stuff like this so, to me, it just seems like any other large building spanning two blocks. What specifically makes this one "very complex"?

Well compared to an office building where they are practically empty upon delivery, a large apartment complex with fine finishing is way more complex. 

• Like 1

Well compared to an office building where they are practically empty upon delivery, a large apartment complex with fine finishing is way more complex.

Oh, I see your point now. You weren't talking technical aspects of contruction but just "a lot to do".

To that point though, I seem to recall that One Park Place took about 2.5 years from construction start to first occupancy. I remember it starting around 2007 and ending in 2009. Is that correct? If so, it is both a highrise and has at least the same level of finish. OPP is 325 units, 500 Crawford has about 400.

Is my memory off on OPP? Did it take longer?

• Like 1

so y'all think that Block 337 is slow....

three years ago today, they blew up the Ben Milam Hotel to start this project.   :)

Yes it was, but don't forget it took them almost half a year to get all of the

debris and excavation done. Plus I'm sure there was major rerouting of water and

utilities that ran along Prairie where it was blocked and is now part of the

project.

• 2 weeks later...