500 Crawford: Multifamily At 500 Crawford St.

lockmat

The only ad sign that is still sticking up is the Citgo sign, which is supposedly a nod to Fenway park and Houston's oil industry (Citgo has their headquarters in the Energy Corridor)

http://www.bostonspastime.com/citgo.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citgo#The_Boston_Citgo_sign

All the other ads are similar to other ball parks - selling blank wall space that is constantly viewed by fans, players, and national television

Completely agree. I don't think this ball park should be profitable at all. Instead of using advertising dollars to maintain the look of this park, they should let it go abandoned so that it's reputation will be known globally.

That's funny, I don't remember saying any of that.

This is and has been my favorite project going up in this city in the current cycle. Growing up near Chicago my idea of a ballpark and associated neighborhood will always be Wrigley and Wrigleyville in Chicago. It has such a great vibe, is pedestrian friendly, has a fantastic collection of old brick buildings that are used for pubs, restaurants, apartments, etc..., and almost no surface parking (everyone just rides the train to the games). The area around Minute Maid can never be the same but I feel like this project along with the many other projects going up around the park can lead to a modern version of a vibrant urban ball park neighborhood. I'm so glad this is turning out to look as great as I hoped it would.

• Like 4

This is and has been my favorite project going up in this city in the current cycle. Growing up near Chicago my idea of a ballpark and associated neighborhood will always be Wrigley and Wrigleyville in Chicago. It has such a great vibe, is pedestrian friendly, has a fantastic collection of old brick buildings that are used for pubs, restaurants, apartments, etc..., and almost no surface parking (everyone just rides the train to the games). The area around Minute Maid can never be the same but I feel like this project along with the many other projects going up around the park can lead to a modern version of a vibrant urban ball park neighborhood. I'm so glad this is turning out to look as great as I hoped it would.

I don't know if you can ever compare any city to the next. Yeah Wrigleyville has a lot of small brick buildings and a cool atmosphere, but you also can't take away from how much potential the area around Minute Maid has. Texas Ave is only one street compared to the back side of the ballpark which has so much potential to be a more vibrant area because of the older buildings. I think that side of downtown needs a few midrise apartments and a few more Catalyst style developments.

• Like 1

Great photo.  Those of you who display photos on Haif, I do not know what you do for a living, but on the side maybe you should sell your material to postcard companies or such. It sure is much better than what I normally see. That includes half finished buildings and all. The angle shots are great. Thanks for your effort.

• Like 1

http://www.papercitymag.com/culture/houston-best-italian-restaurant-to-open-in-marvy-finger-500-crawford-apartment-building/

partment buildings are almost like hot days in Houston: Every time you turn around, there’s another one.

With cranes in the sky across the city, it’s becoming more and more difficult to stand out in the Houston rental arena. Marvy Finger, the legendary developer behind such city-changing projects as One Park Place, may have found a way to make one of his new developments unforgettable, though.

500 Crawford — the soon-to-open, seven-floor mid-rise that overlooks Minute Maid Park — will include two new restaurants, including an absolute showstopper.

“There’s going to be a very extravagant Italian restaurant in the building,” Finger tells PaperCity in an exclusive interview. “With the amount of money spent with an investor, it will be the finest Italian restaurant in Houston. I’m talking finish-wise. It is going to be a stunning space, really unlike anything we’ve had in Houston before.

“Now, hopefully we’ll sign someone to make the food live up to the setting. It has a chance to be really special.”

When the 79-year-old Finger is this excited about something, it’s best to pay attention, because Marvy Finger is not given to hyperbole. Despite all his successes, Finger gets nervous every time one of his new buildings opens, and he takes nothing for granted. He doesn’t do gushing. Yet, when it comes to this forthcoming Italian restaurant at 500 Crawford, Finger narly waxes poetic. While the chef hasn’t been signed yet, it’s apparent this is going to be an ultra-serious kitchen with grand ambitions.

The high-end Italian spot’s going to have company, as well. The building will also house an “upscale diner” that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and a bar that stays open late. Finger believes this more casual, utilitarian spot will be a major bonus for residents of the mid-rise.

Even before Finger told us about the restaurant plans, 500 Crawford promised to be heavy on perk, including its fitness center, a massive 3,000-square-foot retreat. “The athletic facilities are extensive,” Finger says. “It has a chance to be the finest gym in this part of the country.”

The fine-dining Italian restaurant figures to garner the most attention, though. It’s the kind of showcase spot that will have movers and shakers who aren’t in the market for an apartment taking notice of 500 Crawford. It also will be something different — and much more high end — for the neighborhood around Minute Maid and BBVA Compass Stadium.

• Like 9

"Upscale diner"

"High end Italian"

"Extravagant"

Welp, so much for the gfr catering to the baseball crowd to fit in with MMP. I guess Marvy forgot he built these apartments right next door to a baseball stadium. Seems like he's designed this to be it's own little "super upscale, high end" island all to itself.

And people wonder why One Park Places ground floor retail right across from Discovery Green has still never been leased out.

• Like 3

"Upscale diner"

"High end Italian"

"Extravagant"

Welp, so much for the gfr catering to the baseball crowd to fit in with MMP. I guess Marvy forgot he built these apartments right next door to a baseball stadium. Seems like he's designed this to be it's own little "super upscale, high end" island all to itself.

And people wonder why One Park Places ground floor retail right across from Discovery Green has still never been leased out.

Have a nice restaurant with a nice setting will give them a more year round approach to attract customers. Maybe my situation is unique but I've never ate before or after a game. During, yes...

"Upscale diner"

"High end Italian"

"Extravagant"

Since we can safely assume both spots will be on the Texas Ave side, I'll guess that the upscale diner faces the ballpark where as the fancy Italian restaurant will be opposite of Vic & Anthony's. Nice little restaurant battleground in the making...

"Upscale diner"

"High end Italian"

"Extravagant"

This is the kind of hot take I love to read! It's like the part where it says "diner and bar" are completely skipped over! Bruh, the way Finger describes this Italian place, it really does sound incredibly special to Houston; a concept that would definitely find success in a place like CityCentre or the Galleria

Many in the baseball crowd are quite affluent and might enjoy the fancy eateries. I mean if you're willing to pay $12 for a nasty ballpark burger, $10 for a bud light, $30 for a tee shirt, and $117.42 a piece for good seats you may have some disposable income.

but after gut bursting beers and a hot dog, maybe some nachos followed by more beers, I'm in no mood for Italian. The games are long so not eating is not an option. And it's baseball so not drinking is not an option ;).
  • Like 1