500 Crawford: Multifamily At 500 Crawford St.

lockmat

• 2 weeks later...

Not that fall protection will do much good when the thing they are tethered to falls down...

But more seriously, I've been watching the work on the old Texaco building. Workers regularly walk on the edge of the roof, outside the railing, nearly 20 stories up, without attaching their harness to anything. I noticed it again on Thursday. I just don't understand -- do all these construction workers have death wishes?

Not that fall protection will do much good when the thing they are tethered to falls down...

But more seriously, I've been watching the work on the old Texaco building. Workers regularly walk on the edge of the roof, outside the railing, nearly 20 stories up, without attaching their harness to anything. I noticed it again on Thursday. I just don't understand -- do all these construction workers have death wishes?

Macho men!

Now that is a job that is taking for ever to complete.

• Like 1

Workers regularly walk on the edge of the roof, outside the railing, nearly 20 stories up, without attaching their harness to anything. I noticed it again on Thursday. I just don't understand -- do all these construction workers have death wishes?

What I've heard from the workers themselves is that the harnesses get in the way, and you have to spend all that time hooking and unhooking (I know, it's seconds, but...).  And of course the ones you can talk to haven't fallen.

There are some property owners who monitor this closely, and even some GCs and the occasional trade.  

What I've heard from the workers themselves is that the harnesses get in the way, and you have to spend all that time hooking and unhooking (I know, it's seconds, but...).  And of course the ones you can talk to haven't fallen.

There are some property owners who monitor this closely, and even some GCs and the occasional trade.  

Of course it takes a lot more time, where I work it's 100% tie off no exceptions. But with thousands of contractors in the refinery, it's cheaper than a medical lawsuit due to an injury. Falls from height is probably the number one cause of injury/death in the construction industry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like the picture.  HATE the name.  "Neado"? What is that even short for?  "Near Downtown"?  - no its in downtown.  North East downtown maybe?  Still doesn't seem right especially since they have a GIANT baseball stadium right next door to name the area after.  NE downtown would be where city lofts is, where there are still plenty of vacant lots

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Nole23 said:

500 Crawford posted the picture below on their FB with the caption:

"First movers to NEADO, Houston’s neighborhood to watch. Luxury amenities, downtown address, walkable lifestyle, and Minute Maid Park’s next door neighbor"

Please NO!!! Ballpark District or Ballpark Village or something other than NEADO lol

anyways,...Nice view...

10486237_845958198848858_382026441066521

I like "Ballpark District"

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TowermaniacXD said:

Is NEADO supposed to be a pun on NEAT-O! For how great these units are? 

I feel like they should name this general Union Station after well the old Union Station at MMP. 

How about "North Union" since there's already a south Union?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, arisegundo said:

"Enron Field Heights." It references and yet is simultaneously grossly insensitive to local history. It's perfect.

We went through this a while back, my submissions at the time were:

Bondsman’s Park

Penitentiary Acres

Sobering Heights

• Like 1