500 Crawford: Multifamily At 500 Crawford St.

lockmat

Walked by the site today.  Street is still closed off, and it looks like they might be trying to clean it up already.

22062926648_3d42b019f5_k.jpgCrawford scaffolding collapse by Christopher Hisle, on Flickr

22250652075_d14baf0ce7_k.jpgCrawford scaffolding collapse by Christopher Hisle, on Flickr

The street closure looks very improvised.  There's a handwritten "do not cross note" and that police car looks fake

21627924834_23e4a38d65_k.jpgCrawford scaffolding collapse by Christopher Hisle, on Flickr

22063798609_9455e8c0e8_k.jpgCrawford scaffolding collapse by Christopher Hisle, on Flickr

• Like 5

I find it hard to believe that a car could hit this as the rumours say about what may have caused this. The scaffold was set back far enough from the street (looks like about 15' to me) that it would be very hard for a car to hit it. More likely in my eye was overloading or an extended reach forklift hit it while loading bricks to the workers.

4c3MgHh.jpg

LnTGaef.jpg

ivs4vsi.jpg

• Like 6

http://abc13.com/news/restraining-order-granted-against-company-over-scaffolding-collapse/1042760/

HOUSTON (KTRK) --

A judge has granted a restraining order against companies connected with last week's scaffolding collapse. An attorney for the most seriously injured victim filed the temporary restraining order, or TRO, this afternoon and it was granted.

The attorney for Victor Rubalcava says he filed the TRO as part of an effort to preserve any records that could be crucial in potential lawsuits. The petition requests Finger Companies and Triple J Masonry to retain all documents related to the collapse. In addition, the order asks the construction site be preserved as is, so no further construction work can be done at the site until the hearing on November 2.

• Like 2

Looks like they piled up much of the old scaffolding in the courtyard area on the Westin end of the property, and everything has been moved off of the Crawford side.

I'm not sure what the restraining order is actually going to accomplish at this point, but lawyers have to do their jobs, I guess.

Make sure no one else gets hurt from bad practice?

It is a private lawsuit seeking to obtain evidence in order to build a case to support a victim. The physical evidence has already been altered significantly since the incident, that was my point.  Document preservation makes sense, but I assume accident investigation by OSHA, city construction permitting, the police and others have already begun to act on behalf of the public interest in investigating any bad practices that may have contributed here, that's their purpose, not a private lawsuit's.  If Finger was anything less than fully cooperative with authorities in this regard at this point, I'd be surprised.

To the extent that they don't have a stand-down on their scaffolding work already, who would go up there willingly? Whatever went wrong is either a now obvious oversight that they figured out quickly or unknown and pending an investigation.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what the restraining order is actually going to accomplish at this point, but lawyers have to do their jobs, I guess.

It's to prevent any further alteration of the physical evidence.  Since it's already been messed around with, it's fair to expect it to get loaded onto trucks to be recycled or whatever in fairly short order as part of cleaning things up unless somebody puts a hand up and says "stop."  

Even though it's been moved around, metallurgical testing and the like can still be done.

• 3 weeks later...

some of you guys are unreal.. these people could've KILLED INNOCENT WORKERS and bystanders and you guys are worried about the costs and delays. :blush:  this damn this should be delayed until they figure  out who fkd up!

Well this is an architecture forum.  No one here is trying to overlook the fact there was a terrible accident and that a thorough investigation needs to be done to find out what happened and who is to blame...but people have been looking forward to seeing this completed for a LONG time, there are still going to be questions about what's going on with the actual construction of the building.  I think I speak for everyone when I say we are all thankful that no one died in the incident and we all hope those injured have a quick recovery.  However, in construction and in life, the show must go on.  

• Like 9

some of you guys are unreal.. these people could've KILLED INNOCENT WORKERS and bystanders and you guys are worried about the costs and delays. :blush:  this damn this should be delayed until they figure  out who fkd up!

If that delay would help find specific fault that would prevent future incidents, sure, but at what point are plaintiff's attorneys holding an entire project hostage over the fault (perhaps honest, perhaps not) of one or two subcontractors?  That's a question for the lawyers, I suppose, but I think what folks are saying here is that it would be shame for more the value of this project to go to waste.

Employers are responsible for installing scaffolding that doesn't collapse, figuring out "who fkd up" has long since been completed, precisely what errors were made may or may not be possible, and may or may not be useful once known. For whatever reason, this one failed, so the contractor in charge of erecting and checking the integrity of the scaffolding is on the hook and should be held liable as is anyone responsible for overall project safety. These conditions are not mutually exclusive with resuming work promptly in a safe manner, though finding a new contractor (if that's required) for work of this scope isn't exactly a routine retail transaction.

• Like 2

some of you guys are unreal.. these people could've KILLED INNOCENT WORKERS and bystanders and you guys are worried about the costs and delays. :blush: this damn this should be delayed until they figure out who fkd up!

I get your point, but since we have no new info on what happened, it's not unreasonable to talk about other matters.

I'm not involved in this, but I have been around other projects where something or another went way off the tracks for some at first unknown reason.

My seat of the pants guess is that this part of the project is going to be delayed by six months, plus or minus.

Why?, you ask... Typically, the part of the site that's involved is going to be a "no fly zone" until everybody's had a chance to examine it.  That means figuring out who may have been involved in the event, which starts with putting together a list of everyone who touched that aspect of the project.  Those in the line of fire then get their insurance companies involved and get lawyered up, which generally doesn't happen overnight.  Once everybody in the gene pool is present and accounted for they then figure out who they are going to hire to look at it for them, and then inspections get scheduled.  All of this involves more than a little planetary alignment.

tl;dr -

There are going to be a lot of fingers out there pointing in a lot of directions, and it's going to take a while to narrow down what really happened and who's really on the spot.

• Like 2