Uptown Park: Uptown Shopping Center At 1121 Uptown Park Blvd.

19 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

We're the fourth largest city in the Country and we have exactly ONE newly built hotel/condo tower. The Four Seasons downtown was a conversion of old corporate apartments and don't have any of the bells and whistles these new properties have (10-12 foot ceilings, gas appliances, fireplaces, private terraces, etc...)

Four Seasons, W Hotels, Fairmont, Conrad by Hilton, Ritz-Carlton, JW Marriott, Mandarin Oriental, Westin, Loews, St Regis, Kimpton, Canyon Ranch, SLS, Viceroy, Bentley and a few other chains have opened numerous hotel + residences over the last decade. Austin, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, New York, LA, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, Baltimore, DC, Philly, Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Phoenix, and Orlando have all received more than Houston.

Perhaps true, but contrary to your initial post, few, if any have received dozens, or anything close to it.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I came across this article yesterday: http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/05-22-17-anejo-original-ninfas-navigation-uptown-park-lawsuit-amreit-edens-partnership/

it talks about the closing of Anejo...it also talks about how they don't think Nifa's is upscale enough for this development but that is the problem.... I feel like this is a location and area that needs something like a Ninfa's or a Pappasitos to get more people to this dying development...

any NEW news on when the "redevelopment" is supposed to happen?

i ride my bike by here every single day and while Starbucks, Crave, Cafe Express (and for the most part Tasting Room and periodically McCormick and Schmick's) all are consistently busy, not much else is....

that should tell them something! Get Pappasitos and Pappadeaux's or both (or similar) and it will maybe help the other businesses thrive! 

• Like 1

Anejo's closing was a stab in the heart. Honestly gene the options aren't that great, and  if the Pappa's brand could come up with a more upscale concept it could thrive. But another pappadeux/pappasitos is not what the area needs.

For a city that dines out religiously, the Tex-mex options are not that great (in the area). Uptown sushi has a dazzling interior & spectacular drinks but the food is similar to Raw. Cafe Express is a good option but mostly caters to the lunch office crowd.

If Willie G's is getting too pricey for the land use they really need to consider going dense soon. Even if it's just weingarten on west grey style.

Uptown Park works, but it doesn't work. You'd think with the location and pricing they would have landed major retail tenants like ROD a long time ago, but instead they have a weird mix of boutiques and restaurants like Vintage Park. Maybe it has to do with the Mediterranean style architecture. :P

/rant.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, gene said:

agree to all of that...except i can never live too close to a pappasitos haha ;) 

you must live or work close to me! 

I live down San Felipe. Pappasitos is just like the jack in the box of Tex mex. Grease-sponge dishes. Berry hill is sub par, the pappasitos on Richmond is the worst one in the entire metro (their salsa is watery too), cyclone's is okay, Escalante's is okay, Latin bites is pretty good but limited menu and it's fusion.

Anejo's had a crazy massive tequila menu, best fajitas ever, never had a gross or bad experience. Didn't stink like the kitchen leaving that place.

Anyways sorry for derailing, I just think Uptown Park needs to be demolished and just start over, break up the Mediterranean style, attract more options.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

I live down San Felipe. Pappasitos is just like the jack in the box of Tex mex. Grease-sponge dishes. Berry hill is sub par, the pappasitos on Richmond is the worst one in the entire metro (their salsa is watery too), cyclone's is okay, Escalante's is okay, Latin bites is pretty good but limited menu and it's fusion.

Anejo's had a crazy massive tequila menu, best fajitas ever, never had a gross or bad experience. Didn't stink like the kitchen leaving that place.

Anyways sorry for derailing, I just think Uptown Park needs to be demolished and just start over, break up the Mediterranean style, attract more options.

again, agree with all of that...but i do love my little pappasitos on kirby...the chips and queso keep me coming back.

and i have lived on mccue across from the galleria for 22 years and worked on sage for 22 years a block away...so i am all for making OUR area better...and i can never have enough good tex mex! 

hi neighbor! 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

At some level it's comfort food. Pappasitos is what a lot of Houstonians grew up knowing is good texmex, and specifically, good fajitas. 

Personally, I have an irrational love of Los Tios. This was one of the only texmex restaurant that my parents went to as I was really young. I don't think their salsa recipe has changed in 40 years, I can go in and taste the salsa, and I'm 5 years old eating chips and salsa in a corner booth with their weird half moon windows. the other Mexican place we went with any regularity was that fajita place in the Corillion, they had that workstation in the middle of the restaurant with the 3 ladies making the tortillas fresh. I can't remember the name of it, but my parents would get coupons for that place and we'd go once a month or so. I wish I could remember the name of that place, it was a clever name, I seem to remember, and any time we ever went it was always packed.

Anyway, I agree with you, I didn't grow up eating at Pappasito's, so to me, it's not comfort food, it's just another tex mex place that is over priced, and not really that good, but it's rare that they aren't always packed. Pappadeaux would do really well here too, or a Pappa's Seafood. 

Edited by samagon
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, samagon said:

At some level it's comfort food. Pappasitos is what a lot of Houstonians grew up knowing is good texmex, and specifically, good fajitas. 

Personally, I have an irrational love of Los Tios.

For me, it's always been Spanish Flowers but I'll have to try out Los Tios. Had not heard of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samagon said:

Personally, I have an irrational love of Los Tios. This was one of the only texmex restaurant that my parents went to as I was really young. I don't think their salsa recipe has changed in 40 years, I can go in and taste the salsa, and I'm 5 years old eating chips and salsa in a corner booth with their weird half moon windows. the other Mexican place we went with any regularity was that fajita place in the Corillion, they had that workstation in the middle of the restaurant with the 3 ladies making the tortillas fresh. I can't remember the name of it, but my parents would get coupons for that place and we'd go once a month or so. I wish I could remember the name of that place, it was a clever name, I seem to remember, and any time we ever went it was always packed.

Anyway, I agree with you, I didn't grow up eating at Pappasito's, so to me, it's not comfort food, it's just another tex mex place that is over priced, and not really that good, but it's rare that their aren't always packed. Pappadeaux would do really well here too, or a Pappa's Seafood. 

Agree on Los Tios. The food is just plain old school Tex-Mex, not really fantastic but their Margartias are awesome. If I have three margaritas there I need to be shoveled out of my chair. :) 

Edited by jgriff
  • Like 4

I've lived in this area since 2001, including 90 days at the Hotel Granduca.  I walked through Uptown Park the other day and noticed that for the first time there were a number of vacancies, some with considerable space. In addition to Anejo, there was a restaurant called Champps (?) that had gone black, in addition to the Baker furniture space and several other smaller storefronts.  Add structured parking and you could thoughtfully redevelop and intensify the land use. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Timoric said:

My parent were poor. We went to Panchos. I loved the Sopapillas and raising the flag.

panchos.jpg

Is this place still around? Where is it?  

I don't want to just raise a flag after eating idk what you're talking about

It just seems that entire Uptown area is getting a major overhaul. You have the Galleria expansion, Post Oak Blvd project, Uptown Park redevelopment, a number of new highrises in the area, and now there is talk about redeveloping the strip centers in to mixed use development. The next 5 years will brings lots of very good change.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

As I was driving down 610 it occurred to me that the overhaul which would suit Uptown most (other than a damned train) is turning the malls into street grids. 

1: Yes.

2: However, that runs counter to what seems to be the entire development philosophy outside the loop, which is to drive traffic onto major thoroughfares, and discourage thru traffic on secondary streets.

3: It's really expensive to do this. Take the area bounded by Westheimer, Post Oak, Sage, and San Felipe. To put in 8 east-west streets and two additional north-south streets, with 70-ft right-of-way, you need about 1.5M s.f. of land. At $150/s.f. (current assessed value on HCAD), that's $22.5M in eminent domain payments before you even consider the extra payments for the buildings you need to knock down, plus the cost of building the streets themselves. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Timoric said:

You went through a buffet line. Then you sat down at your table you could raise the flag (one on every table) and they bring you more and always at the end you order a basket of sopapillas with honey.

There's still at least one on the gulf freeway out by the beltway.

As an added bonus, there's a Casa Ole down there too. Jose Lima approved! As I recall, their margs used to be super cheap.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/4889-westcreek-mixed-use-san-felipe610/?do=findComment&comment=437516

12 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Another hi-res rendering of W Hotel for Houston Uptown (click on the images and press the magnifying glass to zoom in). This one is from Prism. The upload date from the image file shows April 2016.

QO7dqvB.jpg

fp7A74H.jpg

Past renderings here and here.

Judging by the background, this appears more likely to be in/near River Oaks District/West Creek than Uptown Park

Seems odd that the linked website caption says W Hotel when the rendering says "Hotel Epsilon"; maybe that's just a ruse.

Urbannizer posted these same renderings almost 4 year ago. 

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

Uptown Park continues to clear out. It was reported today that the UT Coop is leaving the retail center in early September.  The pod where it exists already has several vacancies, and more exist elsewhere in the development.  Could the owners be letting the leases lapse in preparation for redevelopment?

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Fortune said:

Renovations to retail, no vertical development, “we don’t want to ruin Uptown Park because people connect with it.”

I suppose thread title needs to be changed.

Blech.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5