Uptown Park: Uptown Shopping Center At 1121 Uptown Park Blvd.

"The City" turned down a deal? I can see how the city can enocourage development and even discourage other types of development. But how could the city turn down a development on private property? Or does the city own the Sakowitz building? When you talk about "The City" who are you referring to?

The development was discouraged by the leadership of the City of Houston, Texas, USA. The property owner and the city are now going in a different direction that has to be better in order to top that.

Edited by HTOWN LIVE

keep-calm-and-explain-again.png

what!!!!!

htown live, i have been one of your most loyal and consistent stalwarts upon this forum.  it's not like i believed any and everything that you have espoused upon during 

your discourse.  however, i like to believe that i am astute enough to know that without a doubt, that in a city a large as the city of houston.. circumstances are indeed likely to change upon a dime.

however, what you have just espoused within these last three aforementioned post regarding these impromptu and yet totally discombobulated "the city" development changes... has me starting to doubt your discourse.

nothing is making any sense!  trust me my good pal, we HAIFER'S appreciate the very fact that we harbor a stalwart within city government that may allow us a peep into city planning / discussions to some degree.

however, please bare in mind that  you are not the only stalwart that is capable of offering intimate discerning information as per houston city government.

therefore, should you extend a bit of generosity and present to us a bit of key insight.. then it shall need to be comprehensible... at least to some comforting degree.

everyone knows about the long standing historical and yet empty sakowitz building.  we all would give most anything to see this gem of a building get redeveloped into a shining star.

however, we are all indeed smart enough to know that whatever comes forth.. is going to be a somewhat costly / time consuming / often irritating patience grabbing puzzle, that shall require optimum planning / discourse.

therefore, when you espouse upon the old sakowitz building being discussed as a bloomingdales / ritz carlton, sounds like huge joke!  what!!!  are you hereby serious!!!

buddy, you shall now want to carefully explain yourself here... your credibility moving forward.. is now at stake.

• Like 2

keep-calm-and-explain-again.png

what!!!!!

htown live, i have been one of your most loyal and consistent stalwarts upon this forum. it's not like i believed any and everything that you have espoused upon during

your discourse. however, i like to believe that i am astute enough to know that without a doubt, that in a city a large as the city of houston.. circumstances are indeed likely to change upon a dime.

however, what you have just espoused within these last three aforementioned post regarding these impromptu and yet totally discombobulated "the city" development changes... has me starting to doubt your discourse.

nothing is making any sense! trust me my good pal, we HAIFER'S appreciate the very fact that we harbor a stalwart within city government that may allow us a peep into city planning / discussions to some degree.

however, please bare in mind that you are not the only stalwart that is capable of offering intimate discerning information as per houston city government.

therefore, should you extend a bit of generosity and present to us a bit of key insight.. then it shall need to be comprehensible... at least to some comforting degree.

everyone knows about the long standing historical and yet empty sakowitz building. we all would give most anything to see this gem of a building get redeveloped into a shining star.

however, we are all indeed smart enough to know that whatever comes forth.. is going to be a somewhat costly / time consuming / often irritating patience grabbing puzzle, that shall require optimum planning / discourse.

therefore, when you espouse upon the old sakowitz building being discussed as a bloomingdales / ritz carlton, sounds like huge joke! what!!! are you hereby serious!!!

buddy, you shall now want to carefully explain yourself here... your credibility moving forward.. is now at stake.

Wow, what nonsense. My dear student, why don't you call the mayor's office for confirmation and report back to us. That will help you understand.

Class dismissed.

I agree it's back-peddlIng, they should have gone with the plan (even if it was with newbies). Houston definitely could have used the downtown retail and the hotel rooms. But it's not, at least not at 1111 Main Street. The city and the property owner no longer want it, saying they have something better they're putting together. We'll see.

Houston already has the other big stores except Bloomingdale's, so it would take Harrods, Selfridges or Galeries Lafayette to top that. Does Houston have the leadership, talent and power to make that happen? We'll soon see.

htown live, pal i love you.. but this is all so very confusing to me.  if our illustrious city government cannot even come together to acquire a bloomingdales brand upon such a barron retail desert such as downtown houston.. then how on earth could you possibly think that downtown houston could entertain such retail powerhouses such as a HARRODS vs SELFRIDGES?  have you ever shopped at a GALERIES LAFAYETTE?  well, i have many times at the dubai mall in dubai, uae.  this particular french department store often reminds me of a more glamorous macy's.  i have eaten at the RED BOX.  this is the very nice little cafe / bistro located inside the larger GALERIES LAFAYETTE.  

we shall learn to become a bit more realistic here my god pal.  if houston cannot even seem to lure a VIRGIN MEGASTORE.. i would highly doubt that a HARROD'S , SELFRIDGES, or even a GALORIES LAFAYETTE, shall want to entertain downtown houston at this more wonderful time during our current construction boom.  those particular brands, are EXTREMELY international.  to date they seem to only cater to the very wealthy vs european consumer. 

htown live, pal i love you.. but this is all so very confusing to me. if our illustrious city government cannot even come together to acquire a bloomingdales brand upon such a barron retail desert such as downtown houston.. then how on earth could you possibly think that downtown houston could entertain such retail powerhouses such as a HARRODS vs SELFRIDGES? have you ever shopped at a GALERIES LAFAYETTE? well, i have many times at the dubai mall in dubai, uae. this particular french department store often reminds me of a more glamorous macy's. i have eaten at the RED BOX. this is the very nice little cafe / bistro located inside the larger GALERIES LAFAYETTE.

we shall learn to become a bit more realistic here my god pal. if houston cannot even seem to lure a VIRGIN MEGASTORE.. i would highly doubt that a HARROD'S , SELFRIDGES, or even a GALORIES LAFAYETTE, shall want to entertain downtown houston at this more wonderful time during our current construction boom. those particular brands, are EXTREMELY international. to date they seem to only cater to the very wealthy vs european consumer.

Couldn't agree more!!!

Couldn't agree more!!!

Lol. I'm being facetious. My sentiments exactly...if they're this inept and messed this up, there's no help for them or world class downtown retail. Many of us were shocked at the meeting. One of the mayor's assistants produced a new plan and convinced the mayor and the property owner and developer to hold off on the Bloomingdale's/Ritz Carlton for 1111 Main Street in favor of a proposal with a different anchor and locations that he's coordinating.

That effectively killed the deal. I personally asked the property owner and developer, why? Their response was they're going to give the assistant until the end of the year to put it all together.

Whatever he's doing won't top Bloomingdale's/Ritz Carlton, so backwards Houston leadership strikes again. Whatever they come up with at the end of the year will probably be inferior to the Bloomingdale's/Ritz Carlton plan.

Edited by HTOWN LIVE

Anyone else think htownlive is full of it? He's going back on all of the crap that everyone started arguing about with him and swistig. I'd like to hear other people's opinion of this who are also "in the know"

i don't know much, but i know your first sentence is spot on. I've known it since the beginning.

i don't know much, but i know your first sentence is spot on. I've known it since the beginning.

I disagree, I think HTOWN LIVE is spot on...always is.

Those "in the know, know." Those who don't know, resort to talking/starting. They should do so on an appropriate site and thread for gossip. This site is for professionals and architecture enthusiasts...I thought?

Edited by Subdude

I disagree, I think HTOWN LIVE is spot on...always is.

Those "in the know, know." Those who don't know, resort to talking/starting. They should do so on an appropriate site and thread for gossip. This site is for professionals and architecture enthusiasts...I thought?

You think you, yourself, is spot on?

If this doesn't confirm Htown live as someone's second bull account I don't know what will.

• Like 1

ok look, as a citizen of our fair city of houston.. the future development as per downtown houston CBD is highly important to me.  heck, i even live downtown houston.  therefore, i and amongst other citizens of our great city.. only long for it to become the very best that it can become.  we want to impress our visitors, we want to accept / embrace the very highest standards of living possible within this growing CBD.  therefore, this is the ONLY reason that i openly entertain the insight being brought forth as per htown live.  i respect him as one our our HAIF stalwarts.  although, i am not certain as to what city wide position that he is hereby responsible for... i want him to know that i can easily respect him as a professional as well.

i am not here to lambast htown live.  i am not here to discredit his insight vs perspectives.  for as i have espoused beforehand... i am astute enough to know just how volatile and inconsistent this particular mode of work can be dealing with city government vs city wide planning... it can be utterly career ending to some.  therefore, htown live, please do not feel as though we are coming down hard upon you as person.  you are hereby a HAIF member (you are one of us) we do so respect you.  all that we are hereby asking in return.. is for you to deliver comprehensible insight, so that we may learn and move forward as per some sensible knowledge as to where we are headed upon the CBD / downtown vicinity.

maybe, you should have started off explaining to us, that there was a meeting that you were hereby involved in, that led to this strange inconsistent upheaval of prior planning.  this approach may have harbored a bit more sense as opposed to just throwing out discombobulated rhetoric regarding the old sakowitz building.  (it just did / does not make any sense)

we are all highly abreast to the simple fact that you are not at liberty to openly display all intimate details of your high level city government meetings.  this we do indeed understand.  however, what you can deliver to us... just make it comprehensible.. this is all that we are asking.  

Edited by monarch
  • Like 2

we shall learn to become a bit more realistic here my god pal.  if houston cannot even seem to lure a VIRGIN MEGASTORE.. i would highly doubt that a HARROD'S , SELFRIDGES, or even a GALORIES LAFAYETTE, shall want to entertain downtown houston at this more wonderful time during our current construction boom.  those particular brands, are EXTREMELY international.  to date they seem to only cater to the very wealthy vs european consumer. 

Virgin Megastore is overhyped. In this day and age when MP3's can be purchased from a computer and Kindles are everywhere, a gigantic movie, record and book store is rapidly becoming obsolete. Better to have Virgin Atlantic or Virgin America touching down at Intercontinental.

Virgin Megastore is overhyped. In this day and age when MP3's can be purchased from a computer and Kindles are everywhere, a gigantic movie, record and book store is rapidly becoming obsolete. Better to have Virgin Atlantic or Virgin America touching down at Intercontinental.

toxtethogrady, god only knows that i love you my pal.  however, virgin megastore being overhyped is certainly your opinion.. but it's certainly not a fact!  virgin megastore, is one of the very first places that i look forward to visiting every time i arrive in dubai, uae.  the store at the dubai mall is indeed quite cool.. but the best store in dubai, is at the mall of the emirates.  everyone seems to be jammed packed in that store.  it's incredible, and an absolute blast. those stores, seem to harbor any and everything!  

as soon as i arrive back to dubai, uae... i shall definitely be headed there.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hard to tell.. It seems to show the mid rise apartments in the back corner that were changed from that original high rise tower, so they could be "recent", but are they still moving forward with the redevelopment plans since the REIT got bought out?

^^^ i don't rightly know just how old or even how new these renderings / concepts are, but i shall state this.... that hotel portion is simply incredible!  perfect orientation, brilliant design, beautiful scale, the absolute wow factor, you name it.  i mean just really look at this, these renders just cannot be that old.  these designs are state of the art and ultra modern.  simply brilliant architecture!  additionally, that hotel just has to be our long awaited W.....

Yeah.. no way these renderings are older than an year or so.. I just checked again and that residential mid rise in the northwest corner is definitely the same one they changed the residential tower to be (they even announced a name and stuff for the mid rise I believe). Hopefully they still plan on doing this...

looks like decent compromise. About half of the original complex looks like will be spared, but the problem im still seeing is that they still feel very detached from the rest of the master plan. I just don't get it. But maybe that can get taken care off with more phases down the line.

• Like 1