Uptown Park: Uptown Shopping Center At 1121 Uptown Park Blvd.

Riding my bike by yesterday i realized that the true ideal location for Ninfas would have been the old Willie G's location on Post Oak Blvd...I wonder what is going to happen there?

The old Anejo location is pretty much directly across the street from McCormick & Schmick's which is Steak and Seafood...just like J. Alexander.... do we really need 2 steak and seafood places in Uptown Park? (Plus of course there is Mastro's just a block or so away)...

Hopefully J. Alexander creates a new concept for this location...(it does state in the article earlier that it could be a new restaurant from the group).

Guess we shall wait and see...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this article was really interesting...i have included the part about Uptown Park:

At Uptown Park, a 160-acre retail center in the northern portion of the district, developer Edens is focused on enhancing the placemaking, Edens Managing Director Tom Kiler said.  "The buildings didn't speak to each other," he said. "Uptown is interesting because it has a history. People know it. We feel like we must evolve and bring new life to it."    Uptown Park features new places where customers can sit, relax and people-watch or use public WiFi, Kiler said. The public spaces will also be infused with local art to bring another level of authenticity to the property.   The lineup of new tenants will not only complement the current tenants, but also provide additional reasons to visit, Kiler said. Potential new concepts include restaurants, health and beauty retailers, home goods, a movie theater, a sports bar or a local partnership related to performing arts. Uptown Park is currently 91% leased, according to Edens.  Edens will soon announce a boutique fitness concept that will bring another level of activity to the property that previously didn’t exist, Kiler said. “The morning is a time where we have been historically quiet,” he said. “[The gym] will bring some energy in the morning, mid-morning and, with all the office buildings, an after-work crowd.” 

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/retail/known-as-a-retail-stronghold-uptown-houston-point-to-connectivity-as-the-key-next-step-98184?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I see the words/business The Rustic have been replaced with the words Lease Pending... (250)

It seems they have gutted out the whole space and it has been at a stand still for the past month. I am hoping this comes to fruition...I am excited about having this so close by!

and Merus Grill has completely gutted their space and even the entire facade is gone...so they are getting to work on this pretty quick!

42 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

The Rustic is still in play for Uptown Park Houston. It was removed from the site plan when I posted the updated site plan a month or so ago. But it was still shown on the site plan in the brochure. I think Eden Properties removed it because they didn't want it leaked to the public yet.

That is incredible news!!!

And I looked at the J Alexander website. I have to say I don't particularly like the name Merus Grill. Not sure why, I just don't...haha! (it actually sounds like it would be a mediterranean place for some reason) Hopefully they re-think the name...as i actually don't mind the other business names they have!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

SUPER interesting about Ethan Allen's move CPG! 

What do you think will become of their existing building? I always thought that corner of Post Oak and Westheimer was prime and underused space! Wow! Big news! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

HBJ reporting that permits for the Rustic have been filed and the project is underway

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/05/20/country-stars-music-venue-and-eatery-plans-second.html

😮🤩😍 best update today!!!!

3 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Good someone is reporting this. I wonder why are the news reporting on this now? 

There was no press release for this, but permits were filed for this last year and several months ago. And The Rustic was on the site map in February and March. This is why I rely on HAIF to keep me up to date.

haha! I gotta say...i am so excited about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for the updates!

• 3 weeks later...

It is showing 310 (Belvedere) available still...I wonder how long it will take for them to even announce they are closing...

and lastly, that entire building B is almost all available...(except Mendocino Farms)...I am not too surprised that Miss Academy must be moving out as that was just an unusual and seemingly always vacant business...but am surprised that Ethan Allen didn't try to make that almost whole stand alone building theirs.

Can we have at least one of these spaces be a part of the world domination that is Voodoo Donuts?! 🍩🤩

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Curiously, Ziegler Cooper has updated their website to reflect the site of “Building B” above as “Gables Uptown Park.” Previously, they had that structure under a generic “Confidential Mixed Use” label:

http://zieglercooper.com/gables-uptown-park/

This was cancelled back in March 2015, when the new owners acquired AmREIT.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/03/new-owner-hits-pause-on-uptown-parks-1b.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

This was cancelled back in March 2015, when the new owners acquired AmREIT.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/03/new-owner-hits-pause-on-uptown-parks-1b.html

I recall seeing that. However, at that time, the design for this tower was labeled as “Confidential Mixed Use” on the Ziegler Cooper website. It now has the label “Gables Uptown Park,” suggesting the possibility that this particular tower may have been revived—4 year’s have passed since Edens acquired the site after all. Time enough for some re-evaluation of market conditions. 😊

Last night i rode my bike through Uptown Park and work has begun at Mendocino Farms! The location is now totally fenced in and workers were inside doing some work on the empty space...and they have stripped off the exterior to redo that as well!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Drove through Uptown this morning...lots of movement at Mendocino Farms inside and out...

also Revolution Studio looks to be on track to open in the next month or so.

I still see no movement outside or inside The Rustic location and it is so weird just to see all the piled up steel that has been there for months out front within the fencing surrounding it. You would think they would at least clean up that area a bit.

I also saw lots of workers outside what will I am guessing will be the new entrance to Ethan Allen that is adjacent to Belvedere...guess they will be working hard to get that space ready for the big move (and still wondering what will become of that huge building Ethan is currently in? will they fill it with a new tenant or replace that building with something newer and better?)

and finally, seeing lots of activity at what will be the J. Alexander concept across from Starbucks/Crave etc (next to M. Penner).

LOTS of work trucks in the lots and up and down the street for all these projects so that is kind of exciting!

:)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://m.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/The-Rustic-to-open-second-Houston-location-in-14176240.php

The live music venue (The Rustic) with its heaping menu of Texas beer, whiskey and Gulf/Tex-Mex fare is set to break ground on Aug. 1 for 27,000-square-foot outpost at 1121 uptown Park Blvd. It is expected to open in February 2020.

AND just saw this article as well:

https://houston.eater.com/2019/7/26/8931698/the-rustic-opening-uptown-park-houston-february-2020

and wow...cool!:

The Rustic's new Houston location will be 27,000 square feet and will serve as the flagship for the concept, which was created by a Dallas company and Texas-born country artist Pat Green.

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, there has been no work started at the space where The Rustic will be so no "ground breaking" on August 1st as reported in many articles online...so not sure what is going on there. The gates to the fence remain closed and locked and all the trash and metal scraps are still piled up within the fenced area. Hoping to see some movement asap.

Revolution Studio next door to the future The Rustic though had an event last weekend to help promote their grand opening which is this Saturday August 10th. 

The Ethan Allen space seems to be getting ready and on track for a fall opening. Haven't seen too much work going on but they used to have a fence at the future front door which is now removed and the inside looks to be lots of white walls etc...

Mendocino Farms has already clad it's exterior in wooden shingles and seems to always have nonstop activity inside so I am thinking it will be early spring for them when they say "coming spring 2020".

Finally the future J Alexander's Uptown Park is super busy building out an extra large steel beam patio and covering (and new entrance it seems) but not much work within the walls just yet so thinking spring or summer 2020 there.

I am just glad that something is being done to this development to make it nicer, better and more desirable to go to...it's looking good!

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well this morning i decided to drive through Uptown Park to check on the progress and ended up meeting someone involved with The Rustic.

They had a little table set up within the fenced in area going over their plans etc! Perfect timing!

Anyway he said that today is the beginning of The Rustic groundbreaking if you will...he said also that they will be "blowing out" the whole back of the building/and basically removing it as a solid "enclosed" building structure to give it that indoor/outdoor feeling like the downtown location and they are all so excited about bringing this to the Uptown area. This will be the flagship location so they are going all out and he said they have promised this to be the biggest and best.

A worker in the area said, from what he heard, Ethan Allen is on track for their opening (he didn't say when but think i remember someone saying by end of year but no later than spring 2020?)...

From what i gather, that the new "coffee shop" i thought was going next to Belvedere will instead be a large "kiosk type" fixture in the fan/hula hoop area near Flower Child.

From a previous post someone made, I also am hearing rumors that Belvedere is indeed closing and that will be taken over by another similar business that will be more casual. 

Then big shock to me was that i recently heard a rumor that a very prominent chef/restaurateur might open up restaurant in place of Cafe Express! I had no idea that was happening and if it has been posted, then I totally missed that!

(one note, i do like Cafe Express so I wish they could have left that there but with Mendocino Farms opening soon enough, i guess that is a good replacement)

But wow, cool to hear someone so high profile is thinking of opening yet another amazing restaurant! 

Anyway...so happy to see people at The Rustic FINALLY...having a best friend of 25 years in the music industry, I love live music and all kinds of genres at that, so I am super excited about this coming to Uptown!

Edited by gene
  • Like 6

Yeah honestly I wish Belvedere would turn into a nice and quiet casual bar that shows sports and just a good any time of day and any day hang out. That may be what it becomes...

And I saw that they have fenced off the sidewalk/area where they will be building the free standing "kiosk" of Giant Leap Coffee this morning. Interesting that they decided to take over a portion of the median and some parking spaces but being along the median sidewalk, maybe they think this will attract more people...i think it will be cool if it becomes what i picture in my head! 

The Ethan Allen has almost completed drywall so they are moving quickly.

The Rustic is almost 100 percent gutted too! They have those huge dumpsters on site and looked to be loading the last bit of debris this morning...can't wait to see them blow out the back of the building facing the freeway.

Edited by gene

The Rustic means business...with the entire space now completely gutted/empty, they have just placed a large mobile office trailer adjacent to the property. There was lots of foot traffic on site this morning!

and edit to add that driving by the new J. Alexander restaurant, it looks to me that they are building an upper deck patio (like Cafe Annie) but going across the entire front of the restaurant (and possibly part of the side?) I may be wrong but that is what it looks like at this time. 

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a sign in front of Mendocino Farms saying that the grand opening is Oct 3rd 11am! Just FYI!

and yep they have a little fun countdown on their site haha: 

https://www.mendocinofarms.com/locations/uptown-park

Edited to add that I drove by this whole development this morning 09/25/19 and am just so impressed with it all lately. First with the painting of all the buildings white really gave it a fresh and nice look....and the upgraded sidewalks and landscaping...

then Flower Child came along and in my opinion brought some excitement with it's facade and entire look/aesthetic in general, on top of that the friendly workers and good (although small portion) food. But now with Mendocino Farms being unveiled from their surrounding temporary construction fencing this this past weekend, it is clear this is yet another beautiful addition to Uptown Park. Huge windows, bright and lively space indoors and out...I am truly excited to visit this development...and often! 

and on another note, Merus Grill is NOT messing around....they already have a hiring center opened between Crave Cupcakes and Starbucks and they are bragging to be opened in the fall...so wowsa they worked hard and quick to get this place gutted, built and open in no time flat! 

Next up...let's see how fast The Rustic can get done and hopefully open by their original date announced of Feb 2020!

Ps...i will try to take photos and post them as i keep wanting to and needing to! stay tuned!

Edited by gene

• 2 weeks later...

Morning! 

To me, BIG news, i drove by Cafe Express and they had moved out overnight and the place it empty!

yikes! 

and i guess the closing of Cafe Express was timed perfectly with the opening of Mendocino Farms as that opens next week!

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Drove by the other day and wow Merus Grill looks ready to open! To ME that was a huge/quick turn around from empty restaurant to complete gut job to now a beautiful ready to open restaurant! 

(and indeed the site says Opening November 2019)

http://jalexandersholdings.com/merusgrill/

Edited by gene

• 2 weeks later...

Originally posted December 28, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't able to retrieve or save everything I contributed to this thread, only the last three pages ranging from 2017 to 2019. An archive link showing the last three pages (pages 7, 8, 9) before all of my contributions to this threads were deleted is coming soon.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/28426-uptown-park-renovations/?do=findComment&comment=560537

On 10/27/2017 at 6:02 PM, Fortune said:

From the article:

Back in 2015, Uptown Park's then-owner, AmREIT Inc., announced a $1 billion redevelopment of the project that would include new multifamily and hotel developments, as well as a complete renovation of the project's existing retail development. But a few months later, AmREIT was purchased by South Carolina-based Edens Investment Trust, and any changes to Uptown Park were tabled.

Until now.

Starting in 2018, Edens will begin a multiphase renovation of the 168,626 square feet of retail space comprised in the district, said Tom Kiler, managing director at Edens. The company won't be breaking ground on any vertical development anytime soon, Kiler said, though Edens hopes to eventually add either a hospitality, office or multifamily development to Uptown Park.

In this phase of the redevelopment, front-facing facades of existing retailers will be modernized and simplified. Towering live oaks will be transferred and transplanted into shade-scarce parts of Uptown Park. To better connect the project's buildings to one another, small kiosks and green gathering areas will be installed throughout the development.

New tenants coming to Uptown Park:
Another restaurant will be added to Uptown Park, Kiler said, and ideally one that would cater to Houston's on-the-run lunch and dinner crowd. The company's currently in discussions for a "best-in-class" restaurant to fill the space vacated by Anejo last year and an entertainment concept to fill the vacated Champps sports bar space. Kiler predicts Uptown Park will gain a vertical project in the next development cycle, but isn't sure what kind of development it'll be.

Edens is a longterm holder and isn't planning to sell Uptown Park. Any new hotel, office building or multifamily development wouldn't replace any existing retail, Kiler said. The company's currently in negotiations with at least one prospective tenant for any of the project's empty retail spaces – by October 2018, Kiler said the project should be 100 percent leased and well on its way to being 100 percent open for business.

Originally posted December 28, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't able to retrieve or save everything I contributed to this thread, only the last three pages ranging from 2017 to 2019. An archive link showing the last three pages (pages 7, 8, 9) before all of my contributions to this threads were deleted is coming soon.

Renderings of the Eden owned Uptown Park's renovation in Houston from the Houston Business article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/10/27/exclusive-uptown-parks-highly-anticipated.html

Bv0MVNS.jpg

sSbk2Dm.jpg

More renderings of the Eden owned Uptown Park in Houston. Design renovations by Two Tyres Design.

http://www.twotyresdesign.com/blog/2016/1/12/before-after

Now:

IYx91hG.jpg

Proposed renderings of renovations:

glKWXIp.jpg

bw3G1Ah.jpg

Now:

EjW7DAz.jpg

R6G9ZDM.jpg

XWOTs1E.jpg

Now:
DsraPbD.jpg

NTPdyAc.jpg

OqOjGAn.jpg

One of the restaurants opening in the Eden-owned Uptown Park in Houston is Flower Child (source: Facebook group and this construction bid posted last week).

Eater Houston reported in October the Fox Restaurant Concepts Flower Child would open in Houston. No location was reported at the time the article was published.

From Eater:

Flower Child, a healthy restaurant chain that’s owned by the same company as North Italia, has plans to bring its hippie-approved wares to Houston.

The fledgling chain from Fox Restaurant Concepts (North Italia, True Food Kitchen) announced that it was heading to Houston (among other cities) in a press release, but no specific plans for a location or opening timeline have been made public just yet.

Here is where Flower Child will be located in Uptown Park. The address is 1101-06 Uptown Park Blvd, replacing clothing store BB1 Classic.

tTJhLJB.jpg

https://edens.com/centers/TX/Houston/Uptown-Park

• Like 1

Originally posted March 22, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

Houston Chronicle reports on the Uptown Park renovations in Uptown:

Uptown Park, the Italianate shopping district abut a mile north of the Galleria, represented an innovation in retail development when it opened in 2000.

The original developer called it a “lifestyle experience” where shoppers could stroll along hand-paved walkways between boutiques and cafes, taking in the architectural elements of old-world Europe: brightly colored window boxes, Italian urns and stone columns.

But as today’s high-end shoppers seek a more authentic aesthetic, the newest owner of Uptown Park is giving the property a modern-day makeover.

Construction fences surround the first batch of buildings being updated with cleaner, more modern storefronts. Over the next several months, the center will be getting more outdoor seating and fresh landscaping, offering shade and a feeling of shelter or inclusion that’s been shown to encourage shoppers to stick around longer.

“Our goal is to get you to come there 3½ times a week and to stay there 90 minutes each time,” said managing director Tom Kiler of Edens, which took over the project in 2015.

...New retailers will open there this fall when much of the work will be completed.

Ideally, Kiler said, the center will have new restaurants, more home and apparel retailers and perhaps a small market with freshly prepared foods. An entertainment concept with a music theme is also under consideration.

Many existing tenants, Kiler said, do well and have strong followings, but because they are separated in individual buildings broken up by parking lots, they don’t benefit from the additional activity that can come from proximity.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Uptown-Park-getting-modern-day-makeover-12773429.php

More on the renovations in the forum here.