Uptown Park: Shopping Center At 1121 Uptown Park Blvd.

Originally posted September 13, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't able to retrieve or save everything I contributed to this thread, only the last three pages ranging from 2017 to 2019. An archive link showing the last three pages (pages 7, 8, 9) before all of my contributions to this threads were deleted is coming soon.

A new tenant iis arriving soon to Uptown Park.

From Houston Chronicle's real estate transactions roundup today:

Jumper Maybach Fine Art will open in Uptown Park in October. The gallery is designed to provide an immersive experience with creations of contemporary artist, philanthropist and entrepreneur Ben Workman, also known as Jumper Maybach. The gallery, at 1131 Uptown Park Blvd., will offer fine art, home furnishings, apparel, accessories, gifts and other luxury items. In addition to a consistent art exhibition, the venue will offer rotating performance art and a series of events.

“We are constantly seeking unique new concepts to bring to Uptown Park that introduce culture, a bit of theater and unique experiences for our guests and the Houston community,” Tom Kiler, managing director of Edens, said in an announcement. “We are thrilled to bring Jumper Maybach Fine Art Gallery to our neighborhood and to expand the options found in our re-energized and evolving district.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Retail-wrap-My-Eyelab-opens-10-stores-in-Houston-14429739.php

Originally posted September 27, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't able to retrieve or save everything I contributed to this thread, only the last three pages ranging from 2017 to 2019. An archive link showing the last three pages (pages 7, 8, 9) before all of my contributions to this threads were deleted is coming soon.

On 9/26/2019 at 9:20 AM, gene said:

Morning! I edited to add more yesterday to my post above...

but wanted to add today that i drove by Cafe Express and they had moved out overnight and the place it empty!

Here comes Hugo Ortega!!!

and i guess the closing of Cafe Express was timed perfectly with the opening of Mendocino Farms as that opens next week!

That was quick. I didn't expect Cafe Express to close this soon. You are correct about the competition from Mendocino Farms.

And Eater Houston wrote about your post today:

Following weeks of rumors, chef Hugo Ortega and restaurateur Tracy Vaught have officially confirmed that they’re working on a new restaurant in Uptown Park.

The real-estate obsessives at HAIF were the first to notice that Ortega and Vaught had their eyes on the former Cafe Express space at 101 Uptown Park Boulevard, Suite 12. Now, a statement from Vaught confirms that they’re working on a restaurant for that location, but doesn’t provide a ton of additional detail. “Like with all our other concepts, we prefer to keep the idea close to our chests, as we like to have the ability to plan, develop and make changes at-will without being hindered by any previous announcements,” Vaught said. “So, yes, we did sign with Eden to go into Uptown Park. Our plans are still fluid and the opening is at least a year away. We have no further details at this time.”

Many have speculated that Ortega and Vaught’s new restaurant will be of the fast-casual variety, which is exciting news for folks who can’t afford to enjoy the James Beard Award winning chef’s cuisine at Xochi or Hugo’s. Perhaps he’ll focus on the crispy tlayudas at Xochi, or bring the beloved ceviches from Hugo’s into a fast-casual format.

More: https://houston.eater.com/2019/9/27/20886937/hugo-ortega-uptown-park-restaurant-opening

Saw a commercial on channel 2 this morning for Ethan Allen saying they are open at the new Uptown Park location November 23rd!

(What in the heck will become of the space or that building/ old location?!...that was a huge space!)

edited...just found this on the Uptown Park site:

https://www.uptownparkhouston.com/retailers/ethan-allen/

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 8:47 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

but wanted to add today that i drove by Cafe Express and they had moved out overnight and the place it empty!

and i guess the closing of Cafe Express was timed perfectly with the opening of Mendocino Farms as that opens next week!

That was quick. I didn't expect Cafe Express to close this soon. You are correct about the competition from Mendocino Farms.

Following weeks of rumors, chef Hugo Ortega and restaurateur Tracy Vaught have officially confirmed that they’re working on a new restaurant in Uptown Park.

The real-estate obsessives at HAIF were the first to notice that Ortega and Vaught had their eyes on the former Cafe Express space at 101 Uptown Park Boulevard, Suite 12. Now, a statement from Vaught confirms that they’re working on a restaurant for that location, but doesn’t provide a ton of additional detail. “Like with all our other concepts, we prefer to keep the idea close to our chests, as we like to have the ability to plan, develop and make changes at-will without being hindered by any previous announcements,” Vaught said. “So, yes, we did sign with Eden to go into Uptown Park. Our plans are still fluid and the opening is at least a year away. We have no further details at this time.”

Many have speculated that Ortega and Vaught’s new restaurant will be of the fast-casual variety, which is exciting news for folks who can’t afford to enjoy the James Beard Award winning chef’s cuisine at Xochi or Hugo’s. Perhaps he’ll focus on the crispy tlayudas at Xochi, or bring the beloved ceviches from Hugo’s into a fast-casual format.

More: https://houston.eater.com/2019/9/27/20886937/hugo-ortega-uptown-park-restaurant-opening

Meant to post this when I saw it early October, but then that whole "accidental"  fiasco with a mod taking it upon themselves to ban my account (thereby deleting over five years worth of posts and other's contributions).

In late September, there was a construction bid page created for Hugo Ortega's Uptown Park restaurant with the following text:

Proposed for Construction - Further action pending Owner's decision to proceed - Further details to be released late 2020

https://www.construction.com/projects/hugo-ortega-restaurant/

9C4gnUY.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2019 at 9:20 AM, gene said:

Merus Grill in Uptown Park Houston had private preview services this weekend. I received an invitation to dine last night but had to decline.

I haven't seen interior photos of the transformed  Añejo  space, but my expectations aren''t high.

Uptown Park posted a photo last week of the exterior and signage:

W71dMo8.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4u-OXrAZ1P

Construction progress of Giant Leap Coffee at Uptown Park.

This is part of Eden Properties' renovations of Uptown Park.

Photo was posted to  Instagram Thursday and Friday  by Root Lab. A co-owner of Root Lab owns Giant Leap Coffee.

From Thursday:

Wet early morning engineering meeting at @rootlabtx’s first ground up build: @giantleapcoffee’s second location @uptownpark! Structure is quickly taking form, custom steel and glass windows and doors are next and then the we install our first SIP roof!
isLjtIg.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/B42fPxWAdou

From Friday:

tLWw6Bu.jpg

cWHvexx.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/B450149Aui7

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

They 100 percent completely gutted the Anejo space for Merus Grill down to a concrete hollow shell...not one single thing was left...so i am hopeful this new place looks nice and has amazing food...

originally they were saying this was a mediterranean restaurant but now they are advertising it as an american grill which is more appealing to me.... but again that is just me since mediterranean is my 6th choice for restaurants to go to haha!

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 8:47 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Since I passed along a link from this forum with news of Hugo Ortega's plans for a regional Mexican restaurant in Uptown Park to those covering Houston's dining scene, I thought it was only right to share this tidbit with HAIF in return:

There's a possible name for the Hugo Ortega restaurant, or at least a tentative name. It's likely the name of H-Town Restaurant Group's newest addition may be Urbe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2019 at 8:35 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Since I passed along a link from this forum with news of Hugo Ortega's plans for a regional Mexican restaurant in Uptown Park to those covering Houston's dining scene, I thought it was only right to share this tidbit with HAIF in return:

There's a possible name for the Hugo Ortega restaurant, or at least a tentative name. It's likely the name of H-Town Restaurant Group's newest addition may be Urbe.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:14 AM, gene said:

I shared the name two months ago a couple of posts above. I'm also the one who passed that along to Eater Houston after H-Town Restaurant Group was issued an allowance to trademark Urbe last month.

I'm going to bet the name is Urbe. H-Town Restaurant Group isn't ready to divulge the name or anything else related to this new restaurant. So, of course their response would be "it's a working name". I highly doubt Ortega and Vaught would hire a trademark attorney and go through the entire process if it weren't the name.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 6:18 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

i am not sure what is going on but maybe they are waiting on more permits...as absolutely nothing has been done to Giant Leap Coffee since that photo.... it has been sitting there with no workers on site etc for a couple of weeks...

however, The Rustic has been banging out nonstop work....finishing all new concrete floors as of this weekend...and building inner walls and more at their space...its truly buzzing with activity during daylight hours! 

they had at first mentioned a possible February opening but i am thinking more May/June... we shall see but i am super excited that Uptown Park is experiencing this revival! 

Edited by gene
fixed wording
  • Like 4

okay so maybe i missed it somewhere...but in shocking news to ME, Starbucks closed up overnight and brown paper lines all the window in Uptown Park...

that was my favorite location too...with the little park adjacent to it with the concrete animals...i have walked there and hung out there many times with friends and family that loved that more intimate and cool location...

DANG!

there IS a sign on the door saying that they are indeed closed permanently so it is not a renovation.

so i guess it makes sense that Giant Leap is building their little kiosk type location (although again no workers on site this morning?!?!)...

however wow i don't think i have ever heard of a Starbucks location closing haha! what in the heck can move into that location that allows the park to stay AND fit it? Maybe a cool ice creamery? Bakery? Dessert Gallery? etc?

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Uptown Park Renovations
  • 2 weeks later...

The Rustic is now painted a dark gray...they are working nonstop on the interior of the building and have replaced many of the front facing windows (they haven't replaced the clothing/tailor store window yet up top on the left and for some reason that is driving my mild ocd crazy haha!)

I have a photo on my phone but my god i still have trouble uploading photos for some reason...

can someone message me the exact steps to take photos from iphone 11 to here?

thanks!

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

and in new news apparently only i care about... haha ;) , The Rustic Uptown is now hiring and will be opening in the Spring so that means sometime around May (or end of may as they are just now filling in the walls/sheetrock etc)...wow this was a quick build out...

so excited!!! 

https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/flower-child-heights-opens-soon-the-rustic-goes-uptown-pi-pizza-closes-11450568

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have never seen as many workers or trucks with equipment and materials than this morning! The Rustic is getting serious!!!...even during this crazy shutdown of the world...

update on monday 03/23/20:

went to the rustic downtown to get a sandwich and they gave me a 15.00 gift card towards my next meal when they reopen which is so awesome...the chicken and cheese sandwich was amazing! when i went to pick it up they told me that they will have the uptown location up and running by the end of may...wow! they really are working hard on getting this open...and soon!

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

the third photo down is the back of the building facing the freeway...

i wonder if anyone has or knows the plans of this establishment as they are known for their semi-outdoor stage viewing area etc...so are they building out the back to have this as a feature i wonder?

• Like 1

BOO to smoking areas ;) 

and i have been speaking with Common Bond insiders lately and have heard their number 1 target for their next new location is Uptown Park or at least in Uptown Houston...

there is a rumor going around that Mendocino Farms may not even reopen after all this mess is better....so this would be amazing to have Common Bond take over that location or BETTER, take over the Starbucks location in Uptown Park that closed since it has the cool little park adjacent and they could even expand since the 2 business next door between Starbucks and  Crave Cupcakes are now closed and empty spaces as well. IF they HAD to, (and since they are trying this now in the Heights) they could even create a drive thru with this location  without disturbing the little park by placing the window to the far back side of the building facing Post Oak Blvd. 

Edited by gene
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Drove by this morning and wow...the most cars and workers i have ever seen on site at The Rustic! Exciting stuff! 

(still hoping to find plans on this place as it does look like the back is being built out to be a big patio...)

• Like 3

well dang! :(

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/05-27-20-houston-restaurant-closed-shuttered-poitin-bar-kitchen-tasting-room-uptown-park-barrys-pizza/#slide=0

The Tasting Room Uptown Park 
Lasco Enterprises announced that the original location of The Tasting Room will close on May 30. Known for its popular happy hour and spacious patio, The Tasting Room had occupied its space for 17 years, but it couldn’t come to new lease terms, according to the Houston Chronicle. The Tasting Room’s location in CityCentre will remain open.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

honestly i am pretty sad about Tasting Room...especially since i could walk or ride a bike there, i liked going there to chill out and my buddy Micaiah Walker was a fairly regular guest musician there

edited to add i saw this article today...and dang Eden, you either have a really awesome plan for this space or sound cold hearted according to this:

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/05/27/uptown-park-tasting-room-wine-bar-closes.html

“Since the beginning of the quarantines, we’ve been trying to negotiate with our landlord. Finally, after our latest request for a meeting to discuss and figure out how we could work together to save the business, we were directed to their outside attorney and then simply told that there will be no negotiations,” Jerry Lasco said in a statement. 

Edited by gene

• 4 weeks later...

The Rustic looks like it is working at a break neck pace to finish up work as there are tons of vehicles and workers from early morning until early evening on site. The kitchen door was open this morning and it looks like they are finishing that up...

I can almost guarantee they will be open by August 1st if not mid July...

and that back deck looks to be an outdoor area to watch shows as well as a huge patio...they seems to have risers built from wood on the wooden deck.

It looks super cool and so happy they are using that back area! This place looks just HUGE and i guess so, since this is to be their flagship location.

and dang that Giant Leap teeny tiny coffee shop is moving at a snails pace...i had to idea it would take this long to build something so small but hey glad it is being built, can't wait to visit it in 2021...hopefully ;)

• Like 3

Heard from a very reliable source this weekend that The Rustic Post Oak (Uptown Park) should have their grand opening July 4th Weekend! All weekend there was tons of activity from super early in the morning till the evening! 

edited to add that after driving by and seeing a bit more, i can tell that upon walking in the whole floor is one level with the kitchen to the left then to the far back right corner is the stage apparently...this way if you are in the large main room (entering and facing east) or out on the left hand back patio (facing south) you can see and hear the music! it all makes sense now! 

(i am just used to the downtown location and the new Uptown location will be quite different although going for the same aesthetic...)

cant wait to see inside! 

(edited 06/24/20 to add that last night i rode my bike by and saw that the place has somehow magically been filled with furniture and fixtures already...man this place really is going to be ready to go in the next 2 weeks! exciting stuff!)

Edited by gene
  • Like 7