The Boulevard Project

zaphod

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, bobruss said:

Just curious, but why is this thread which has nothing to do with trains listed here. I thought this boulevard project was about a BRT which I believe is a dedicated bus lane and not a train.

I mean BRT is essentially LRT minus rail.

@editor Maybe we can change this sub forum from simply Trains to "Rapid Transit". That would be able to encompass both rail transit and bus transit that is of the rapid transit variety.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This article made me crack up and cry at the same time:

https://abc13.com/traffic/construction-mistakes-could-have-made-galleria-area-traffic-worse/5521219/

"HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A recent review of a new rapid transit system in the Galleria area discovered crews made lanes too small and added light bars that would have injured riders and damaged buses.

After years and millions in the making, construction is supposed to be nearing its end for METRO's new system. But with the clock ticking, crews are suddenly racing to make changes.

"There's nothing I know now that would not meet that March 2020 (deadline), but if something comes up, and we don't think it's safe to operate, we will not operate," METRO Chief Executive Officer Tom Lambert explained.

Recently, something did come up. In a memo obtained by Eyewitness News, METRO, who isn't behind the construction, discovered two big problems...*continues*..."

I thought the deadline was originally December 2018...ha! 

anyway...

good lord 

😐

Edited by gene

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

Reading the article it actually sounds pretty minor, especially considering Metro wasn't managing this project, Uptown (which has less if any experience in big transit projects) was.

Yeah, major clickbait.   After reading the article it sounds like it is nothing serious at all; probably no more than the corrections that are necessary during any major construction project.

• Like 1

Perhaps the French were behind this... https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27497727 :ph34r:

In reality, though, it sounds like either the plans weren't properly vetted or things weren't built according to plan - both of which happen more often than a lot of people like to admit.  That's why they have a clearance template that they run down the line before it opens.

Apologies if there is topic already for this. Tried searching and was unable to find anything. 

I noticed Northwest Transit Center was completely demolished yesterday and on the development map its slated to be rebuilt.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/viewer?hl=en&ll=29.78214561558281%2C-95.45377498634184&z=17&mid=1J_89cR1sxP4muIAHRJlm6TajoQPyoswJ

Any Renderings of the replacement structure yet? At least publicly available? 

• Like 1

Found where I posted it: in the Boulevard Project thread

On 6/7/2019 at 9:17 AM, cspwal said:

I got the presentation on the reconstruction of the NW transit center from metro

https://ridemetro.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=5&clip_id=1783&meta_id=41677

VqOSY9M.png

I can't tell which direction it's facing, but it looks like the BRT station is not on post oak, but in the transit center, and only has the one platform.  Will that be sufficient if another BRT line goes to NW transit center, or would they make a second platform?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Apologies if there is topic already for this. Tried searching and was unable to find anything. 

I noticed Northwest Transit Center was completely demolished yesterday and on the development map its slated to be rebuilt.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/viewer?hl=en&ll=29.78214561558281%2C-95.45377498634184&z=17&mid=1J_89cR1sxP4muIAHRJlm6TajoQPyoswJ

Any Renderings of the replacement structure yet? At least publicly available? 

I've merged these thread, just FYI.

• Like 2

Oh wow, so how is this supposed to work? I believe the BRT is going to be operational in March, but I doubt this is going to be finished by then. So people taking Park and Rides won't be able to get into Uptown via the BRT until it's finished? This is going to make ridership look so bad...

On 8/26/2019 at 11:34 AM, Luminare said:

I mean BRT is essentially LRT minus rail.

@editor Maybe we can change this sub forum from simply Trains to "Rapid Transit". That would be able to encompass both rail transit and bus transit that is of the rapid transit variety.

Done!

• Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 4:22 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

Uptown Transit Center progress.

Ahh, so this is the real reason that the start of service was delayed until 2020.

Really would have loved to have service started before the bond election, but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 9:52 AM, wilcal said:

Ahh, so this is the real reason that the start of service was delayed until 2020.

Really would have loved to have service started before the bond election, but it is what it is. 

I was thinking the same. I would have been nice. There was an article in the Chronicle highlighting that issue. It was a lack of planning between Metro and TxDOT

• 2 weeks later...

Drove down Post Oak today, for some reason it was giving me Lower Manhattan west st vibes. This street is definitely coming together nicely, also surprisingly there was a decent amount of pedestrian traffic going on. Can't wait for post oak to become a complete canyon of dense high rise buildings; with nice store fronts. 

• Like 7

I don’t know if this is the section to post this, but the past week or so I’ve noticed that they have completely leveled the original NW Transit Center near where 610 and 10 meet.

I didn’t realize they were going to completely rebuild it. I for one am happy, the previous structure always looked dated with the white pyramid roof.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I am a conservative and I never can understand why Republicans act like mass transit is the boogie man. The inner core of Houston does not have anymore room for more roads. Mass transit is needed as an alternative to gridlock, and also not everybody has a car. To all those who where trying to shut down the Post Oak line, I would like them to show me where else they can build a road in that area to help in lessening the congestion? The money they always are ready so spent on projects like the Grand Parkway is no different then spending money for a BRT line, both are used in the movement of people it is just that the BRT line is moving people in larger groups instead of a few people as is being transported in a car. I dont live in Houston but if able to I would vote for Buzbee who at least is open to mass transit and I believe would follow the will of the people if the Metro bond passes which it should.

I could never vote for the weasle in Turner.

Edited by cougarpad
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1