The Boulevard Project

zaphod

On 12/3/2019 at 10:48 AM, Luminare said:

The one thing that was kind of annoying see those trees at night is that the lights fade in and out. I don't know if that was them testing the trees? It did look really nice when they weren't flashing on and off though.

that must have been the testing or a glitch because since thanksgiving and still last night all the ones i see are doing a whole light show...maybe 10 to 20 total designs/patterns/light dances so it does fade in and out to patterns and colors and in most cases flashes... but i love it (especially the moment when the tree looks green with ornaments in an abstract way...think more disney light show than lights flashing) (and this is coming from someone that doesn't usually like those usual rotating color lit displays as seen in tacky pools and hot tubs ;) 

OH and one tip...when you drive down Post Oak Blvd be sure to have your radio on 99.1 for continuous Christmas music or your favorite Christmas music playing...it adds alot 🎅🌲‼️

Edited by gene
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 9:01 AM, cspwal said:

Is that the transit center?  Is it going to have parking? Or interior waiting areas?

On 12/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

That's the transit center on Westpark. I've heard the upper floors are parking but I'm not sure if that's accurate.  

1st floor is  for buses (BRT and buses coming from and going to Westpark).  Third floor is for buses coming from and going to Southwest Freeway.

Second floor is park and ride parking.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's smart to have parking right above the transit center.  Large open parking lots are wastes of space and potentially require so much walking from the edges to the bus or train platform that it dissuades people from using transit.

How similar is the Gold Line BRT route to the defunct University Line rail line?

Edited by Geographer

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to The Boulevard Project
  • 3 weeks later...

They might have pushed the timeline so that they can test the whole route (including going to the transit center) at once, and then open after that, since they won't see good ridership anytime soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

They might have pushed the timeline so that they can test the whole route (including going to the transit center) at once, and then open after that, since they won't see good ridership anytime soon.

Not sure which Transit Center you are referring to.  Hopefully they are not waiting for the entire route to be done, since the portion from Richmond south to the new Uptown Transit Center is apparently not scheduled to be done until 2022.

• Like 1

I saw this article today:

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/transportation/2020/05/13/metro-begins-test-runs-for-rapid-transit-service-through-uptown-district/

saying testing began a couple of weeks ago but revenue/rides wont begin until August.

i even got a notice a couple of weeks ago from my condo mgmt company (located on mccue 3 buildings north of westheimer) saying to make sure we stay off the median/bus pathways due to the testing...

currently there are tons of people daily now walking, jogging, biking and even skateboarding and rollerskating along post oak in that middle section of the road...they are in for a big shock when they see or don't see a bus coming their way...

(i am puzzled by so many using this area anyway seeing that we have large sidewalks on each side of Post Oak Blvd now but whatever...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2020 at 3:05 PM, Houston19514 said:

Not sure which Transit Center you are referring to.  Hopefully they are not waiting for the entire route to be done, since the portion from Richmond south to the new Uptown Transit Center is apparently not scheduled to be done until 2022.

I was talking about the Uptown transit center; didn't realize it wasn't going to be done until 2022

• Like 1

Went out to eat (for the first time in what feels like forever) in Uptown at True Food Kitchen, got to see the Boulevard. I have to admit, it's turning out really well, love how sharp everything looks, it will be exciting to see them testing the BRT line in the next couple months.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Went out to eat (for the first time in what feels like forever) in Uptown at True Food Kitchen, got to see the Boulevard. I have to admit, it's turning out really well, love how sharp everything looks, it will be exciting to see them testing the BRT line in the next couple months.

Drove down Post Oak this morning and it really looked great. Saw about  a dozen different cyclists utilizing the BRT lane as a bike lane, too. 

• Like 3

On 5/13/2020 at 11:27 AM, gene said:

I saw this article today:

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/transportation/2020/05/13/metro-begins-test-runs-for-rapid-transit-service-through-uptown-district/

saying testing began a couple of weeks ago but revenue/rides wont begin until August.

i even got a notice a couple of weeks ago from my condo mgmt company (located on mccue 3 buildings north of westheimer) saying to make sure we stay off the median/bus pathways due to the testing...

currently there are tons of people daily now walking, jogging, biking and even skateboarding and rollerskating along post oak in that middle section of the road...they are in for a big shock when they see or don't see a bus coming their way...

(i am puzzled by so many using this area anyway seeing that we have large sidewalks on each side of Post Oak Blvd now but whatever...)

I didn't know how to link you to my comment Gene, so I thought I'd use your recent comment to tag you. I took a drive down to Post Oak today and I was so impressed with the level of walkability in this area that it honestly blew me away. NOW for a bit of discouraging news. So I decided to also take a trip down Richmond. I was surprised for the most part that a good amount of the road had been repaved and nice wider sidewalks were installed for a few blocks. And as I traveled further down I noticed the city diverted from fully repaved sidewalks to patching existing ones which was a bit discouraging because it ended at Chimney Rock. Some south to north streets still had no sidewalks as well and it doesn't help when property owners keep their sidewalks under-maintained or when certain areas are sinking and filled with dirt. It's been 7 years since I ventured out along this side of Richmond, and to see not much really change had be wondering when the city was going to prioritize pedestrians in this part of town. This entire area isn't far from Post Oak. What's strange is that the areas around Westheimer this far west are much better in terms of pedestrian infrastructure. Gene, since you live in the area, do you know of any further improvements for the area. I tried checking Rebuild Houston and they didn't have the Richmond repairs on their map?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I didn't know how to link you to my comment Gene, so I thought I'd use your recent comment to tag you. I took a drive down to Post Oak today and I was so impressed with the level of walkability in this area that it honestly blew me away. NOW for a bit of discouraging news. So I decided to also take a trip down Richmond. I was surprised for the most part that a good amount of the road had been repaved and nice wider sidewalks were installed for a few blocks. And as I traveled further down I noticed the city diverted from fully repaved sidewalks to patching existing ones which was a bit discouraging because it ended at Chimney Rock. Some south to north streets still had no sidewalks as well and it doesn't help when property owners keep their sidewalks under-maintained or when certain areas are sinking and filled with dirt. It's been 7 years since I ventured out along this side of Richmond, and to see not much really change had be wondering when the city was going to prioritize pedestrians in this part of town. This entire area isn't far from Post Oak. What's strange is that the areas around Westheimer this far west are much better in terms of pedestrian infrastructure. Gene, since you live in the area, do you know of any further improvements for the area. I tried checking Rebuild Houston and they didn't have the Richmond repairs on their map?

Hi! Man i miss the days of the Uptown area of Richmond being a cool place to hang! I think I read at one point that some new restaurant/bars were going to be building/opening along Richmond so maybe as revitalization happens more westward they will continue the road work that direction...

The only info i could find talks about what is now completed i believe:

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/news/article/Houston-roadwork-on-Richmond-Avenue-wrapping-up-14843306.php

and yes, I love Post Oak Blvd and bike it every day! 

• Thanks 1