The Boulevard Project

zaphod

On 11/16/2018 at 8:30 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

I mean it's not as wide as some sidewalks downtown but it's def a nice wide sidewalk to encourage pedestrian activity. I also think having those shopping centers set back so far ruins the dynamic. If they were right up to the sidewalk I think we would be more than pleased. 

I agree. The shops, restaurants, hotels all need to be right up to the sidewalk to give that more cozy boulevard found inmost great cities. Trams or subway stations need to have quick and visible access to the shops, restaurants, hotels

• Like 1

I got the presentation on the reconstruction of the NW transit center from metro

https://ridemetro.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=5&clip_id=1783&meta_id=41677

VqOSY9M.png

I can't tell which direction it's facing, but it looks like the BRT station is not on post oak, but in the transit center, and only has the one platform.  Will that be sufficient if another BRT line goes to NW transit center, or would they make a second platform?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

I got the presentation on the reconstruction of the NW transit center from metro

https://ridemetro.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=5&clip_id=1783&meta_id=41677

I can't tell which direction it's facing, but it looks like the BRT station is not on post oak, but in the transit center, and only has the one platform.  Will that be sufficient if another BRT line goes to NW transit center, or would they make a second platform?

One platform, with two bays.  Seems like that should be sufficient to handle eventual two-way BRT service.

I've complained before about Metros like of vision regarding their overall plans (especially the rail component), but these finer detailed developments have been rather impressive of late. In this department they have really stepped up their game. Definitely when it comes to bus infrastructure. They clearly have a great vision when it comes to bus infrastructure. I've seen so many revamped bus stops of late, and they are doing them at a very quick pace. I now ride the bus routes more frequently and since they redid the network its actually really easy to get around. Now we are getting these vastly improved Transit centers which this one in particular reminds me of the ZOB's in cities in Germany (ZOB's are central bus terminals). My only critique thus far in their service is that they really should put up LCD monitors with times of when a bus arrives at major bus stop. Just putting the "Peak" and "off Peak" times isn't going to be reliable to most. Another idea they should consider is to at this new Transit center make it so that companies like Flixbus and Megabus can depart and arrive from here. That would be nice.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Luminare said:

My only critique thus far in their service is that they really should put up LCD monitors with times of when a bus arrives at major bus stop. Just putting the "Peak" and "off Peak" times isn't going to be reliable to most. Another idea they should consider is to at this new Transit center make it so that companies like Flixbus and Megabus can depart and arrive from here. That would be nice.

They actually are piloting putting up monitors at the Southeast transit center.  I think they are deciding between styles, because there's a screen above the bay for the 54 southbound bus, a clock style screen similar to Metrorail platforms above another bay (this one is turned off), and a screen at normal height in the center that showed all the buses arrival/departure information for the next 4 buses as well as which bay they are in (this screen was cracked within a week, replaced, and cracked again.  This time Metro doesn't seem too keen on replacing it).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New name for the BRT line: MetroRapid https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Post-Oak-BRT-branded-MetroRapid-while-station-14103482.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral#photo-17870740

Officials also said they have settled on MetroRapid as the name of the service, which will use large buses but offer trip times and frequencies similar to rail. The Post Oak line will not have all the elements of bus rapid transit, such as priority at all traffic lights, but will be, for most purposes, rapid service.

All this time, money, and effort and it won't be a full BRT line?  If they compromise on this, how can we trust that the lines in the MetroNext plan won't just be bus lanes the whole way but that's it?  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cspwal said:

New name for the BRT line: MetroRapid https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Post-Oak-BRT-branded-MetroRapid-while-station-14103482.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral#photo-17870740

All this time, money, and effort and it won't be a full BRT line?  If they compromise on this, how can we trust that the lines in the MetroNext plan won't just be bus lanes the whole way but that's it?  

Understandable concern, but I amazed this even got built at all. Its a good first step. We will go from zero BRT to almost one. They just need to start with a proof of concept. Its better than nothing, right? I'm sure many compromises were made during this process, but lets not forget that its great that compromises were made at all. Obviously cooler heads prevailed and saw future opportunity in this.

• Like 8

On 7/22/2019 at 9:05 AM, cspwal said:

Well yeah, I mean it has 8 stops. While it has its own dedicated lane, I’m sure just like the light rail, a compromise between moving motorists and the buses needed to exist on such a busy thoroughfare. If it was actually light rail it would be set up the exact same way. Over time I think it’s safe to assume Metro will tweak things as they learn how the buses interact with traffic. 

• Like 1

Eh, it sounds like the only real compromise is losing signal prioritization. That's not nothing, but to me the fact that it has dedicated lanes is a really big deal. Especially considering the fact that blocks are like a mile long and there are maybe 3 cross streets in Uptown. How many signals could there even be? 

2 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Eh, it sounds like the only real compromise is losing signal prioritization. That's not nothing, but to me the fact that it has dedicated lanes is a really big deal. Especially considering the fact that blocks are like a mile long and there are maybe 3 cross streets in Uptown. How many signals could there even be? 

Exactly. Signal prioritization would be great in all instances, but really its best served in areas with smaller blocks like Downtown and Midtown. Uptown is a different monster and should be treated in a slightly different way.

12 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Excellent point. Didn't think about when I see people complaining about the lack of signal prioritization, which of course isn't even a permanent decision and can be tweaked in the future if need be. I'm not sure if it's like this the whole way, but from what I saw, dedicated lanes with physical dividers should help a lot with keeping cars out of the lane and avoiding the situation where it seems like every other month there's a car accident involving light rail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 9:05 AM, cspwal said:

what makes a BRT great is not priority at signals, it's not having to share ROW with regular traffic. 

separate ROW means predictable and reliable timing of buses, both frequency and when they stop. 

it also means they don't have to fight with cars for space.

16 minutes ago, samagon said:

what makes a BRT great is not priority at signals, it's not having to share ROW with regular traffic. 

separate ROW means predictable and reliable timing of buses, both frequency and when they stop. 

it also means they don't have to fight with cars for space.

And as always, this bus system will get not be on time because you always have idiots blocking the Westheimer intersection. I do not understand how this city cannot have grade separated transportation.... (yes, yes! the cost oh my!) but does everything have to somehow be tied to car congestion?

• Like 2

I drove along Post Oak this weekend and it's going to be a very tight squeeze for those buses, definitely will have to trim those trees again. Other than that, I liked the setup with the platforms in the middle and how Post Oak got upgraded. 

Edited by kdog08
  • Like 3

taken from: https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/transportation/2019/08/12/transportation-updates-uptown-boulevard-project-brt-and-bellaire-street-projects/

Uptown Boulevard Project and bus rapid-transit line

Construction is making headway on the city’s first bus rapid-transit line, the Uptown BRT, as part of the Uptown Management District’s Boulevard Project. According to the district, new traffic signals are up and running in the north segment and will be operational along all of Post Oak Boulevard by the end of September. In addition, transit stations are under construction along Post Oak, with completion by Nov. 1.The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County expects to launch METRORapid, the name for the BRT service, in March 2020.

The new Uptown/Westpark Transit Center, south of Westpark and just outside I-610, is also under construction. The Texas Department of Transportation is building an elevated segment of bus lanes from Post Oak to North Post Oak Road along I-610, connecting to the Northwest Transit Center, which is being upgraded by METRO.

Timeline: February 2017-December 2019
Cost: $130 million
Funding source: Uptown Management District

and for those wondering if the Uptown Lighting is happening this year...I found this:

UPTOWN HOLIDAY LIGHTING RETURNS THANKSGIVING 2019 CELEBRATING NEWLY TRANSFORMED BOULEVARD

The 32nd Annual Uptown Holiday Lighting event will return on Thanksgiving evening 2019, kicking off the holiday season and celebrating Post Oak Boulevard’s newly completed transformation.

An iconic and time-honored Houston tradition, the family-friendly celebration will be reimagined with the lighting of over 300 all-new, twenty-foot-tall holiday trees that will line Post Oak Boulevard from the West Loop to Richmond Avenue. Four times the number of traditional tree decorations that existed in years past, the custom artisan-fabricated holiday trees will feature an amazing integration of lighting technology that all ages will enjoy. 

Beginning late afternoon, this FREE family event will also feature festive music, holiday concessions, holiday characters and a special appearance from Santa. Following the ceremonial lighting of the new holiday trees, each illuminated in 850 multi-color lights, the evening will culminate with an exhilarating fireworks extravaganza.

Cost: Free -

Categories: Holiday

Edited by gene
  • Like 4

So I drive by this and the construction almost every day, and I think the area, with the trees and the bus stops and the lights and everything looks great. Better than what I think many, if not most, could have hoped for. 

But I spent a bit last night looking at the route. So, is this supposed to transport Katy people from the top of I-10/610 down into the Galleria area, or is this really for people who visit the Galleria and want to do some shopping here and there and might want to pop into Moxie's after going to Best Buy/the people in the apartments further down on Post Oak? 

Apologies for the above question sounding dumb. I'm trying to imagine average rider.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 2

There's no reason it can't be both for people that live in the area and don't feel like driving. And it's not just a traffic free option for people in Katy that work in the Galleria. It's going to capture all the park and rides along 290, I-10, 59, and the westpark tollway, east and west of Uptown. Check out the maps at the bottom of the link: http://swamplot.com/uptowns-not-waiting-for-light-rail-planning-bus-system-along-post-oak-instead/2013-01-17/

• Like 4