The Boulevard Project

zaphod

2 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

get out the jackhammers, lads, they're going to have to widen the bus lanes.
Or, they will do what was originally intended and put a choochoo train down that line because "the buses just don't fit ::wink wink::"

If only a certain politician didn't block the funding for the choochoo...

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

The training buses are having to go far and wide to avoid the construction I guess

Westpark and S. Rice

(all pictures by me)

bDO8xxr.jpg

They are parking in the westpark transit center now. I wonder if they are going to put paint or finish on that exposed concrete?

Kq8wC6M.jpg?1

• Like 8

wow @Justin Welling thanks for finding and posting that awesome video! and i do believe that that is me riding the bike on the sidewalk when it stops at Ambassador haha! my condo is located behind Marshalls and that is the daily route back home from downtown! 

wow that near last shot of uptown is amazing...it really is becoming a mini downtown! love it! 

and ps...does anyone know when they will be putting the ufo street signs/lights back up!? i miss those!

Edited by gene
  • Like 4

This may have already been discussed here but does anyone find it odd they didn't link the Dillards to Neiman Marcus anymore? There's not even a single crosswalk. Makes me wonder if they have a big vision here to tear down the Dillards with something else and/or put a tunnel under Post Oak for a future connection.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Triton said:

This may have already been discussed here but does anyone find it odd they didn't link the Dillards to Neiman Marcus anymore? There's not even a single crosswalk. Makes me wonder if they have a big vision here to tear down the Dillards with something else and/or put a tunnel under Post Oak for a future connection.

I've been wondering the same thing.  Seems like Dillards would have/should have had serious objections to being cut off from Galleria foot traffic this way.

• Like 5

with this news:

Neiman Marcus is permanently closing stores around the country, coming on the heels of its bankruptcy filing in May. The luxury department store company is shuttering five locations, as well as 17 of its off-price Neiman Marcus Last Call stores, according to court documents.

It would be the perfect time for Dillards to relocate to the Neiman space and then yes, redevelop the old and ugly Dillards building! Yay! (and this will also save the cost of the powerwashing that i have been asking for, for years!) 

Therefore: 

I vote YES for this to proceed so please pass this along to those that can make it happen. I would like to see this to be completed by Jan 2021. 

thanks in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gene said:

with this news:

Neiman Marcus is permanently closing stores around the country, coming on the heels of its bankruptcy filing in May. The luxury department store company is shuttering five locations, as well as 17 of its off-price Neiman Marcus Last Call stores, according to court documents.

It would be the perfect time for Dillards to relocate to the Neiman space and then yes, redevelop the old and ugly Dillards building! Yay! (and this will also save the cost of the powerwashing that i have been asking for, for years!) 

Therefore: 

I vote YES for this to proceed so please pass this along to those that can make it happen. I would like to see this to be completed by Jan 2021. 

thanks in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

Yeah, except the Galleria Neiman's is not on the closing list and is not likely to be, unless the whole company liquidates (which is also not likely).

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Yeah, except the Galleria Neiman's is not on the closing list and is not likely to be, unless the whole company liquidates (which is also not likely).

Yeah it's always in the top 3 performing in the entire company. Crazy anyone would propose trading a Nieman Marcus for a Dillards lol...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I have no issue with Neiman Marcus (the correct spelling btw ;) ) but i was saying IF they every closed it, that would make sense.

However i will say that I live across the street from the Galleria and every time i go into Neiman Marcus there is almost no one in there...so to be their highest performing store isn't saying alot...

however for the prices i am sure 1 item can be 50 of Macy's items ;)

anyway...the point is...Please do something to the Dillards to either make it nicer or redevelop that lot (and while they are at it, i wouldn't mind them removing Houston's most dangerous gas station while they are at it. 2 to 5 wreckers waiting around for something to happen is a good indication as to why....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am "sure" if not hopeful it will change in the future but currently from what i have personally seen, these buses are completely empty every single time i see them...and no one is ever at a bus stop waiting on one to come. 

for some reason all i can think about it what the bus driver is listening to and how loud it is...and how fun it probably is to sing at the top of their lungs while driving them all day/night 🕺

• Like 1

I used to ride the 33 Post Oak daily back in 2018. The morning trips were packed, sometimes standing room only. There was a wide range of riders, from business professionals who worked in Uptown using the park and rides and transferring at Northwest TC, to retail workers from Galleria to hotel workers. I am sure the pandemic has impacted this route greatly. Before the 433, the 33 during Covid was the only frequent route (usually 10-15 min) to go to 30 min so the route did struggle.  It will rebound. I have faith in it.

I did send a comment to METRO (off their public comment section) to bring two additional routes to the Lower Uptown TC to increase connectivity and transfer options. The 9 Gulfton/Holman and 151 Westpark Express should stop at the TC as well. I have no idea why METRO didn't think of that. Building a brand new transit center and only have three bus routes utilize it is underwhelming. 

Edited by Justin Welling
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Justin Welling said:

I did send a comment to METRO (off their public comment section) to bring two additional routes to the Lower Uptown TC to increase connectivity and transfer options. The 9 Gulfton/Holman and 151 Westpark Express should stop at the TC as well. I have no idea why METRO didn't think of that. Building a brand new transit center and only have three bus routes utilize it is underwhelming. 

Perhaps they haven't yet made all of the planned route adjustments.  Is the Transit Center even completely finished?

@Houston19514  Yeah, it looks pretty much finished. There definitely is enough space for two more routes. The 9 would be on the ground level and the 151 would be on the elevated one w/ access to the HOV. I guess we'll just have to wait till the next round of service changes to happen. 

@Justin Welling I don’t quite understand METRO’s reasoning for not connecting more bus routes through the Transit Center. Although I think one of the hang-ups for the 151 and all of the other express buses on 59, is that the HOV lane is only one way, so buses could only easily access the TC in the peak direction. But with two-way HOV in METRONext I would imagine service at Lower Westpark will be similar to how the express buses stop at the Northwest TC.

• Like 1

@SBurbanist Great point! Given that the 151 is only a peak route right now, I wouldn't see an issue currently with the HOV set up. You are right though, the way METRO designed the TC for the park and ride buses can make it difficult during non-peak hours for those routes to stop at with the current HOV config. I cannot wait till we get two-way HOV lanes :) even tho it'll prob be 2035 or 2040 when that happens haha. 

• 4 weeks later...

i was riding my bike yesterday (sunday 10/04/20) and saw someone wearing a backpack around 11am taking photos of Aspire on Post Oak Blvd then photos of the Silver Line bus coming to the bus stop and then they hopped on before i could get to them and say hi and ask if they were on this board haha! so...if that was you and you are on here, HI :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/4/2022 at 11:31 AM, gene said:

has anyone seen the new pedestrian touch screen that was installed at Westheimer and Post Oak Blvd on the north east corner (in front of Embassy Plaza (the old Ethan Allen building) 5002 Westheimer Rd 

They look much like the large touchscreens in the Houston Galleria to find stores and more...pretty cool! Are there more that i didn't notice yet?

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2022 at 11:31 AM, gene said:

has anyone seen the new pedestrian touch screen that was installed at Westheimer and Post Oak Blvd on the north east corner (in front of Embassy Plaza (the old Ethan Allen building) 5002 Westheimer Rd 

They look much like the large touchscreens in the Houston Galleria to find stores and more...pretty cool! Are there more that i didn't notice yet?

OH and in regards to the giant circle rings that have been missing since road construction i was told today by the Uptown Houston offices that they are having to completely re-engineer them since the roads widened! So they have been rebuilding them and hope to have them up sometime this year but they WILL be back! I miss my UFOs!!!!!!! 

There's one Downtown on the corner outside of Biggio's across from the GRB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1