The Boulevard Project

zaphod

On 11/16/2018 at 9:11 AM, august948 said:

That will happen eventually.  Post Oak started out as a suburban boulevard but has been slowly urbanizing, particularly in the last 20 years or so.

Matter of fact, looking at the size of that shopping center on a map, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it got redeveloped into a city centre type multi-use setup.  It's a huge piece of land in one of the busiest parts of Houston.

there's a massive redevelopment planned for that site... very preliminary so who knows exactly what gets built or when but there are major players involved and the initial scale is massive.

^^ Did you hear that?   Can anyone tell what kind of trees these are?  The trees that were removed from Post Oak and planted along Clinton were mostly...well...oaks.  A couple blocks of the replanted trees were removed/moved a couple months ago, but not sure if any have been transported just recently.  And, I’m not sure oaks can be “wrapped” that way. It’s all interesting, never the less. 

2 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

^^ Did you hear that?   Can anyone tell what kind of trees these are?  The trees that were removed from Post Oak and planted along Clinton were mostly...well...oaks.  A couple blocks of the replanted trees were removed/moved a couple months ago, but not sure if any have been transported just recently.  And, I’m not sure oaks can be “wrapped” that way. It’s all interesting, never the less. 

These are either oaks or elms. small leaf...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Boulevard Project website says they are live oaks, nearly 1000 of them for the entire project.  They are farm grown and were probably trained to be straighter than would normally be the case if nature took her course.  Looking at where they're planted in the median, I'd guess that the greater strength and depth of the surrounding street paving will probably work to keep the roots down.

1 hour ago, Triton said:

Are these the type of oak trees that tear up sidewalks with their roots over time?

If they aren't planted correctly, then yes. The problem of trees uplifting sidewalks happens when people plant the tree nearly at grade with the sidewalk. To prevent this one has to bury the tree at least a few feet below grade. Its actually both beneficial for the tree (as it can funnel more water and grow better), and for the sidewalk. I walked the area near the mall, and it seems like they did exactly the way one is suppose to plant a tree in an urban setting.

EDIT: Also planting a tree further below grade allows the roots to grow unimpeded. It makes for a stronger root system and for a stronger tree.

EDIT 2: If you want to see another example of this done right, then go walk around the major thoroughfares in Upper Kirby. This is district that has done street redesigns right.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Makes me wish someone would build something (preferably a mid/high-rise) on the corner of Post Oak on that intersection! At least something worthy of being at the entrance of the boulevard. 

I'm sure someone will soon.  This area has changed so much in the last twenty years.  A picture taken from that vantage point twenty years ago would have looked much different.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Makes me wish someone would build something (preferably a mid/high-rise) on the corner of Post Oak on that intersection! At least something worthy of being at the entrance of the boulevard. 

I hear you, but if I had to guess more people enter the boulevard through Westheimer than from the feeder.  I wonder if that land is an option for Tilman’s new Rockets practice/entertainment facility?