The Boulevard Project

zaphod

43 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I mean it's not as wide as some sidewalks downtown but it's def a nice wide sidewalk to encourage pedestrian activity. I also think having those shopping centers set back so far ruins the dynamic. If they were right up to the sidewalk I think we would be more than pleased. 

That will happen eventually.  Post Oak started out as a suburban boulevard but has been slowly urbanizing, particularly in the last 20 years or so.

Matter of fact, looking at the size of that shopping center on a map, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it got redeveloped into a city centre type multi-use setup.  It's a huge piece of land in one of the busiest parts of Houston.

Edited by august948

On 11/16/2018 at 4:43 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

There’s a freeway pillar on Westpark near S. Rice. That's apart of the 610 rebuild? Pretty far off from the main course.

I think that’s the one I mentioned from my other post that looks like it will have a bridge deck perpendicular to Westpark but can’t be for the interchange rebuild and must be for the bus lanes

Edited by BigFootsSocks

This bus looks weird, like a bendy bus and a light rail train got drunk at a transit stop one night

https://c-6rtwjumjzx7877x24x78x2emiszcx2ehtr.g00.chron.com/g00/3_c-6bbb.hmwts.htr_/c-6RTWJUMJZX77x24myyux78x3ax2fx2fx78.miszc.htrx2fumtytx78x2f27x2f97x2f19x2f60891404x2f8x2f6579c6579.oulx3fn65h.rfwpx3dnrflj_$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$

But excellent the boulevard will be done soon!

the buses at the center of the project will not start rolling for at least another year as officials grapple with roadblocks threatening to push the final route three years past its original completion date.

No! Why could that be?

Of particular concern is the timing of work south of Richmond, where Post Oak morphs into the southbound Loop 610 frontage road and goes under I-69 before re-emerging at Westpark Drive. Referred to by transportation officials as the “portal” along with the underpass that carries northbound frontage traffic beneath the interchange, it is the critical link for Post Oak buses headed to the new Bellaire transit center.

Because the enormous interchange project — estimated to cost $259 million — was bid without specifics and incentives to keep the portal open to buses, Metro may need a workaround.

of course it wasn't bid to keep the brand new BRT open.  Cars take priority 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cspwal said:

This bus looks weird, like a bendy bus and a light rail train got drunk at a transit stop one night

https://c-6rtwjumjzx7877x24x78x2emiszcx2ehtr.g00.chron.com/g00/3_c-6bbb.hmwts.htr_/c-6RTWJUMJZX77x24myyux78x3ax2fx2fx78.miszc.htrx2fumtytx78x2f27x2f97x2f19x2f60891404x2f8x2f6579c6579.oulx3fn65h.rfwpx3dnrflj_$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$

But excellent the boulevard will be done soon!

No! Why could that be?

of course it wasn't bid to keep the brand new BRT open.  Cars take priority 

So honestly I'm a little confused as to what they mean by "portal." Which part of the route are the referring to?

1 minute ago, cspwal said:

Where Post Oak Blvd goes under 59

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7285104,-95.4633383,17.25z

It's probably called "the portal" because its the start of the Boulevard project as opposed to regular bus lanes going into the new transit center (which I didn't see a mention of a timeline for that)

Ahh ok so the entire project could be delayed because of this? 

42 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wow so I read the article again and are they expecting to be delayed until 2022 because of the Loop construction? I’m so confused and annoyed smh 

I believe that's only "if the interchange construction complicates the bus route so severely . . . "  A typical Chronicle mish-mash that just leaves one more confused.