The Boulevard Project

zaphod

I've been noticing the construction for months now, but didn't really register beyond usual road maintenance stuff to me, until I was down there yesterday, and they were far enough along that I noticed something different, the protected lanes in the center of the median. I was trying to figure out if they were bike or pedestrian lanes (which seemed weird to have in the middle of the road), knew they couldn't be light rail because of the way they were being laid down and the trees that were being planted were too close to them. Looked it up and found they are dedicated express bus lanes. Still seems like the trees are too close to them. I'm wondering what people think of the utility of having these center bus lanes, if it is practical and will really benefit traffic/speed and use of buses in the area?

https://theboulevardproject.com/the-project

Uptown_Street_Scape-1.0_799f89185926c204

Edited by Reefmonkey
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 10:31 AM, Naviguessor said:

Thanks Nate. My guess is that he will try to develop more energy around Toyota Center. My guess a facility around there will be his choice. 

That’s my hope as well and it just makes too much sense. What doesn’t make sense is building somewhere in the suburbs (besides cheap land). I remember reading that Tilman will be using his Post Oak Hotel for visiting teams starting next year instead of the Four Seasons Downtown so that’s why I think the Galleria area maybe have a long shot. 

• Like 1

This has always been the plan and yes it is weird...

as far as the tree/distance goes the buses wont start until 2020 or 2021 so by then i guess they feel that the lower tree branches will be higher/trimmed off for the buses as shown in your rendering...

but yes its kooky and yes i wish it was rail...

I do think that in general Post Oak Blvd looks amazing...but yeah......................................................

• Like 1

Well done BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) - which this appears to be - really does offer most of the same benefits as light rail. It will come down to the details, but I think it's looking good so far.

Look at this way: at any time of day, regardless off traffic, the buses can run a consistent speed and schedule. 

Also, my understanding is that ticketing will be done on the platform (like with the light rail) rather than while boarding, which speeds and simplifies the boarding process.

Don't get  me wrong, I'd prefer rail too, but this looks like it will be almost equivalent. To me, the biggest issue with BRT is that it's too easy to cut corners - an agency will announce a BRT line, but then theyll start chipping away at what makes it BRT rather than a bus. So far, this doesn't look like it will have that problem. 

• Like 6

What I'm concerned about for this project is the ends of the the boulevard protected lane - how does it connect to the new transit center to the south?  How does it get on to the bus lane they're building on 610? How does it get to NW transit center?  Is it being built so it could be extended north and south?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Texasota said:

Well done BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) - which this appears to be - really does offer most of the same benefits as light rail. It will come down to the details, but I think it's looking good so far.

Look at this way: at any time of day, regardless off traffic, the buses can run a consistent speed and schedule. 

Also, my understanding is that ticketing will be done on the platform (like with the light rail) rather than while boarding, which speeds and simplifies the boarding process.

Don't get  me wrong, I'd prefer rail too, but this looks like it will be almost equivalent. To me, the biggest issue with BRT is that it's too easy to cut corners - an agency will announce a BRT line, but then theyll start chipping away at what makes it BRT rather than a bus. So far, this doesn't look like it will have that problem. 

Exactly. Its a great start to a very complicated problem. BRT is a great transition solution to introducing alternative options in a more immediate way. Especially the idea that separation of these services can improve speeds and that options are available to solve a very tough problem. Its like the old adage that if you only use a hammer than everything looks like a nail. Now we are introducing at least another tool into the toolbox to use. Once people ride it, like one does LRT, the benefits become immediately apparent while at the same time helps people understand that if we push a little more at efficiency then we can go even beyond BRT and to LRT. For a car centric city such as ours, BRT might be a great way shift the Overton Window of discussion. BRT at least gives us options, and thats the point. More options in the minds of people means more possibilities for the future. As more ride BRT then the deserve for something even more efficient (LRT) arises.

I've honestly been very impressed with how they have implement all of this from a design stand point. They are actually doing this right, from the sidewalks, to the separations, while making compromises where they should and maintaining standards where they must.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

TxDOT maps for the 69/610 intersection rebuild project show dedicated bus lane flyovers connecting from Richmond to Westpark to get to the Uptown Transit Center.

I think on the north end, the dedicated bus lanes will end/begin on North Post Oak Road, from where it is a short drive into the Northwest Transit Center.

Thank you - I was able to find it http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot/get-involved/hou/i-69-i-610/092917-fact-sheet.pdf 

Interchange-Project-Map.jpg?fe1ae8

Is it just me, or does the "Metro T-Ramp" not look well thought out?

Edited by cspwal

7 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Thank you - I was able to find it http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot/get-involved/hou/i-69-i-610/092917-fact-sheet.pdf 

Interchange-Project-Map.jpg?fe1ae8

Is it just me, or does the "Metro T-Ramp" not look well thought out?

It is well under construction and looks just like the other Metro T ramps from HOV lanes to Metro Transit Centers and Park and Ride lots

The bus lane flyover connecting to the Uptown Transit Center is "completed", meaning the structure is already there, while the 'Uptown Transit Center' building is going up as we speak. The flyover is right above the end of the Westpark toll road on Westpark Drive (right at that junction, ABOVE). The bus lane flyover drives into the 'Uptown Transit Center' on the third floor to get your buses.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a massive transit center, drove by it yesterday not realizing the magnitude of the work.

Do we know if they are planning to overhaul/renovate the northern transit center or just leaving it as is? I know it has a pretty unique design (with the white pyramids on top and all), but will it need to be modified to handle the new BRT vehicles?

• Like 3

The Northwest Transit Center (NWTC) is being reconfigured to accommodate both the New Bus Network and the Uptown BRT. Another new canopy structure will be build north of the existing one, thus bus bays increased from 12 to 20 bays with a new METRO RideStore. The footprint of the NWTC will be the same but enhanced reconfiguration. Approximately 250 parking spaces added NORTH of the transit center across Old Katy Road with new pedestrian signalization and sidewalks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2