The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

That would be great, but we all know how expensive/over budget the Mickey Leland Building ended up being..

That's because it was a government contract as opposed to being for the private sector. They' should've just torn down Leland and rebuilt. It would've been faster and cheaper in the long run.

The Dillard's is far better looking than those ugly stucco Dillard's built in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

For those advocating the demolition of Dillard's Uptown while crying about 509-517 Louisiana and how they should have been kept....shame on you.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

"We aren't building something for tomorrow or the next quarter. The economy will ebb and flow, but at the end of the day, we are investing in the future."

THIS IS HOW ALL DEVELOPERS IN HOUSTON SHOULD THINK! Things may be slow now but as we have seen time and time again they will pick up at a much stronger pace.

• Like 5

OH heck yea!!!

I feel as if The Galleria area and Downtown are now competing for development, which is a good thing! find a way to connect a rail line between the two areas.

Edited by Nole23
  • Like 4

Obviously the flag is still being determined, but I would assume Ritz & Residences is of the 3.  This seems to fit their profile and being connected to the Saks/Galleria Luxury wing makes sense.  It's amazing how much this W. Alabama/Sage intersection as changed over the past 3 years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, enriquewx91 said:

"We aren't building something for tomorrow or the next quarter. The economy will ebb and flow, but at the end of the day, we are investing in the future."

THIS IS HOW ALL DEVELOPERS IN HOUSTON SHOULD THINK! Things may be slow now but as we have seen time and time again they will pick up at a much stronger pace.

It is nice if you can get ahead of the game and be ready when the economy bounces back

• Like 1

i love my area more and more every day :) i have lived on mccue near westheimer for almost 19 years and worked on post oak at westheimer (old compass bank bldg)/now sage and near westheimer for almost 18 years... i am so happy my area continues to change for the better! 

I  like the building, but don't be disillusioned. The bottom rendering is truly deceptive in its scale compared to the exixting buildings in the galleria. They make it look more like a 40 story building instead of a 30 story tower. The building to its right is at least 22 stories tall and it looks in perspective to come to about the top of the shorter first set back. I wish they would try and do a better job in rendering the project so when it comes up much shorter in scale than the rendering we aren't disappointed.

56 minutes ago, Discography 114 said:

Maybe it's 30 floors of actual hotel sitting on top of a 14 floor garage/lobby/whatever. That would explain the why it looks so big in the rendering. The building looks like its about 44 floors total to me.

That would be a plus in my book. Wouldn't this make it the 2nd tallest in the Galleria area?

20 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Would Starwood want to put a "W" so close to their Westin brand?  I thought the two overlapped somewhat in amenities.

^^^ cities like chicago, new york, boston, and san francisco, harbor starwood flags all around each other and peacefully coexist.  it's high time that houston joins them....

• Like 2

I like it, but is there a secret height restriction of 30 stories in the Galliera area?

I'm perplexed by this statement. He said it's the last piece of the puzzle but it will "continue to densify?" Obviously we know it will densify with this addition, so he must be speaking of development after this project, right?

"This tower is the last piece of the puzzle," Contis said. "The property will continue to densify, as there is a lot of demand for luxury condos and hotels."

Also, I could count about 40 floors when I zoomed in so I don't think we should hold our breathe on this design. They could probably keep it, but if they're going to cut 10-20 floors, I kind of doubt it. Plus, the planned groundbreaking is almost two years away which is way too much time for them not to change their minds.

Edited by lockmat

58 minutes ago, lockmat said:

I like it, but is there a secret height restriction of 30 stories in the Galliera area?

I'm perplexed by this statement. He said it's the last piece of the puzzle but it will "continue to densify?" Obviously we know it will densify with this addition, so he must be speaking of development after this project, right?

Also, I could count about 40 floors when I zoomed in so I don't think we should hold our breathe on this design. They could probably keep it, but if they're going to cut 10-20 floors, I kind of doubt it. Plus, the planned groundbreaking is almost two years away which is way too much time for them not to change their minds.

^^^ i am under the impression that DAVID CONTIS (CEO SIMON PROPERTIES) got caught up in his own spin machine.  surely, we are all cognizant of the very fact that at some point soon... NEIMAN MARCUS is going to have to totally renovate / expand their very antiquated store as well.   it would become a disaster if they just sit back and allow for their chief competitor SAKS FIFTH AVENUE to open a state of the art new shopping showplace... and they do not respond in kind.  and please do not even allow for me to start on that horrifying old DILLARDS.... it has to go and fast....

• Like 1

The tower looks great and hopefully it comes to fruition soon! As for the continued densification of the Galleria, I could see a development on the parking lot north of Neiman Marcus to the east of the Jewel Box building as a tower. It could have a parking garage on the bottom levels to make up for lost parking and then house something on top of it. It would make a nice main entrance to the building with the jewel box in the middle, the two office towers in front, and a tower with retail on the left.