The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

1 hour ago, editor said:

Short term, I don't see any change coming.  Neiman Marcus and Saks have different customers. 

But I could Hudson Bay eventually eliminating one brand simply because Hudson Bay is a terrible company that in recent years has ruined Saks in so many ways.  (One example: many Saks stores don't even have HR people in them anymore.  If an employee needs something, they have to make an appointment to have a video chat with someone in Toronto.)

Following the old "keeping employees happy is overrated" mantra that has brought many companies to their knees.

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned
  • 4 months later...

SKIMS coming to Houston (for those that care ;) )

https://www.lmtonline.com/culture/article/skims-houston-store-19381350.php

Permits filed with the state of Texas show plans for a nearly 7,000-square-foot Skims retail store on the Galleria's first floor, near Marc Jacobs, Tag Heuer and Alo Yoga. According to the Houston Chronicle, which first reported the development, the permits list New York-based Kenneth Park Architects as the design firm for the project. 

Edited by gene
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can they please do something with the unsightly former Kona Grill restaurant space?! 

that abandoned outdoor patio is in a sad state and makes the outside look horrible...

i always said it would be the perfect place for a Common Bond or similar so access in the mall but also easy walk up access for those looking for a coffee or quick snack, salad or sandwich while on heavy foot traffic Westheimer... (and yes i know there is Starbucks down the street etc...) but this really would be a cool dine in and walk up location in my opinion! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, gene said:

Can they please do something with the unsightly former Kona Grill restaurant space?! 

that abandoned outdoor patio is in a sad state and makes the outside look horrible...

i always said it would be the perfect place for a Common Bond or similar so access in the mall but also easy walk up access for those looking for a coffee or quick snack, salad or sandwich while on heavy foot traffic Westheimer... (and yes i know there is Starbucks down the street etc...) but this really would be a cool dine in and walk up location in my opinion! 

I've always wondered why stores with westheimer frontage didn't take better advantage of it. Kona Grill would be a GREAT location for a cafe/ coffee shop, Forever 21 could do more with the exterior design of their store instead of just slapping on "Forever 21" on the building, the Oceanaire could have added a deck the same way Kona grill has one. A lot of missed opportunity honestly. The Galleria really needs to be revamped IMO, not the inside but the connection from the outside/inside (if that makes sense). Anytime I drive by the area, I see a lot of walkers either coming from their hotels, residences, or just going to a neighboring restaurant. The mall itself, feels extremely suburban in a sense that almost all entries are extremely far from the street (except 2 points I know), and you have to go through a sea of parking with angry/impatient drivers mad that they can't find parking. There's a lot of empty spaces in/around the mall, they should find a way to connect the mall with the surrounding area/community to make it easier to get into the mall. 

Also I know someone will try to be a smart ass and mention that parking will still be needed, etc, the mall can legit expand their garage/ build a new garage, there's no need for a mall that size/density to still have surface parking. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I really wish they would redo the Westheimer frontage to connect with the neighborhood.  My guess is this is intentional on their part; short-sighted in my view, but I'm guessing they view themselves the big dog/destination and they don't want to make it convenient for "their" customers to venture out into the neighborhood.